Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   SPF Coupe VS FFR Coupe (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/90510-spf-coupe-vs-ffr-coupe.html)

289fia_cobra 08-25-2008 07:54 AM

Ron, I didn't know you got a Coupe!!! You've got to bring it to Snakes-to-the-Lakes!!!!

Are you and/or Curtis going up this year???? I'd like to take a peek at your Coupe.

With all the talk about correct look or prettier looks, I think FFR is just saying it's not exact but FFR's in any of their models have never "looked" like the original things they replicate, which is fine. It's just a method to avoid legal issues with CS et-al.

So long as we all understand the definitions of "original" v.s. "authentic" which gets a lot of panties up in a bunch, I think it's clear that even a "Brock Coupe" isn't an original from the 60's. Just an original based on the signature on a contract... I'd almost classify them as a "contiuation" execpt they're not since Peter has a hand in redesigning some aspects of it. I think SPF SHOULD reconsider calling it a "Brock Coupe" ; I think any owner should too. If Peter has no problem in that (could be why SPF isn't using it?) then saying "this is an original Brock Coupe" is a dead-on accurate statement.

I'm glad "vette" made his decision. I think he'll enjoy it. It would be nice to get a follow-up on the paddle shifters.

Maricopa 08-25-2008 08:01 AM

[Edit] Ok, I did a little research and my statement was misinformed. I blame the time elapsed since I last read about this stuff, and the roofers for having me up at 5am.

ENTDOC 08-25-2008 08:16 AM

I was not aware the Shelby sued SPF. It was certainly magnanimous of FFR to shoulder that cost, of course if the other makes were not named in the suit why would they chip in to defend it. I also remember a time when it was rumored that FFR and Shelby were going to join forces and the proletariat was absolutly giddy about that prospect.

Maricopa 08-25-2008 08:21 AM

I Googled up this. The first Shelby FFR suit is pretty well documented but I was all wet about the 2nd one.

http://performanceunlimited.com/supe...rcomments.html

CoupedUp 08-25-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 289fia_cobra (Post 873392)
So long as we all understand the definitions of "original" v.s. "authentic" which gets a lot of panties up in a bunch, I think it's clear that even a "Brock Coupe" isn't an original from the 60's. Just an original based on the signature on a contract... I'd almost classify them as a "contiuation" execpt they're not since Peter has a hand in redesigning some aspects of it. I think SPF SHOULD reconsider calling it a "Brock Coupe" ; I think any owner should too. If Peter has no problem in that (could be why SPF isn't using it?) then saying "this is an original Brock Coupe" is a dead-on accurate statement.

Peter has no problem with the term "Brock Coupe." Superformance had to pay a bunch of money to CS to settle the lawsuit. They now refer to it as a Shelby Daytona Coupe I believe in part due to the terms of the settlement and in part due to the marketability of the Shelby name. The fact that these cars are now included in the Shelby registry adds value to the car, no matter what your personal opinions may be. Keep in mind that my statements are my opinion based on what I know and not meant to be a statement of fact. I don't want to get sued!:LOL:

Doug

Excaliber 08-25-2008 09:52 AM

While I concur the SPF products are nice that suit involving SPF/Shelby has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like SPF let down the replica community by hooking up with Shelby. Personally, I wouldn't have an SPF product as a result. I don't make a big deal out of that, but the issue has now been raised on this thread and that's how I feel about the product.

If I was offered a "Brock Coupe" at a reasonable price it would sure be hard to turn it down though... :D

Three Peaks 08-25-2008 10:42 AM

Does anyone have pics of the original coupes, the FFR, and the SPF coupes so we can compare.
I've seen and sat in the SPF coupes and they are very nice but to my eyes weren't really a very accurate representation of the original coupes. To my eyes, the FFR is more accurate in replicating the original coupes but I could be wrong and pics would be an easy way to get past this question.
Anyone?

Bob

BossCER 08-25-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excaliber (Post 873426)
While I concur the SPF products are nice that suit involving SPF/Shelby has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like SPF let down the replica community by hooking up with Shelby. Personally, I wouldn't have an SPF product as a result. I don't make a big deal out of that, but the issue has now been raised on this thread and that's how I feel about the product.

If I was offered a "Brock Coupe" at a reasonable price it would sure be hard to turn it down though... :D

I would offer that you swallow your pride and not choke on principal (while pulling off all Shelby/Superformance badging) and drive the finest looking Coupe on the road. JMHO ;)

ENTDOC 08-25-2008 10:44 AM

i am not sure how hooking up with shelby equates to "letting down the replica community". Companies are in the business to be successful and make a profit, and I know of no replica maker that has as its mission statement to do otherwise. I certainly do not feel let down.

Tony Ripepi 08-25-2008 11:45 AM

Hi Guys,

I have owned, had built and sold an FFR, sat in the SPF coupe and sat in a friends coupe built to exacting original form factors. Along the path I have also owned four Cobra Roadsters and one GT40 ----- pics in my gallery.

The FFR coupe can be made into a GT style cruiser but, it takes a lot of time and money, when you make the investment you get a great car that can be driven daily. The negatives center around the access and comfort, even with A/C, Sound systems, alarms and heat/sound deadening with a 500+ HP engine the FFR is a force to be respected and more like the original than not.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...3untitled1.bmp

The original form factor car is difficult to get in and out of and one I was in is an Aluminum car with no concessions to comfort, A/C, sound deadening or even passenger seats/padding. I have not seen one of these finished to the level of the FFR or SPF.

The SPF with a roush motor can be bought in the aftermarket for a reasonable price. It represents (IMHO) the best cost, comfort, value of any of the othger options. Given your disablities the SPF in my opinion looks like the best target for your fun ride. How you get it either from the aftermarket or custom built, along with the hand controls is up to you and your pocket book.

Here is are advertised for $75K...several others as well:

http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html

All of the choices are great cars, your choice is a fun one and you have come to the right place for input, information and many many different opinions :):):).

As for the historical references--- It is what it is and time goes forward from where we are.

Good Luck in your research,

Tony R.

ENTDOC 08-25-2008 12:22 PM

pretty car Tony

Tony Ripepi 08-25-2008 12:27 PM

Thanks Doc,

It lives in Redding, California now with Ron61....he has been working on it to get it where he wants it to be for a frequent driver/possible track car. As time goes forward it may end up back in my garage.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...aby_Garage.jpg

I have CSX4264 and the SPF GT40 in tha garage now.

TR

McD00 08-25-2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEATMASTER (Post 872697)
What might be considered "official" today, may not be tomorrow and can change in a heartbeat... even if it is transplanted. Henry Ford designed the first Ford... and that Brock guy designed the first coupe. Whatever you call it, it doesn't change what it is to those that know, and those that care.

Now if you could only figure out how to stuff some long travel shocks under that thing and take 'er to Baja, eh Pete?

MEATMASTER. "...Taste the meat, NOT the heat"

Boy, you said a mouthful!:p

McVette

jmimac351 08-25-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Ripepi (Post 873480)
Thanks Doc,

TR

I wish I had a lift! ;)

RodKnock 08-25-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Ripepi (Post 873480)
Thanks Doc,

It lives in Redding, California now with Ron61....he has been working on it to get it where he wants it to be for a frequent driver/possible track car. As time goes forward it may end up back in my garage.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...aby_Garage.jpg

TR

TR, your neighbors must love you when you're backing those puppies back into the garage and trying to straighten them up. With my sidepipe equipped mid-year Corvette, I've always worried about that, but so far, no one has complained.

Madmiles442 08-25-2008 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excaliber (Post 873426)
... that suit involving SPF/Shelby has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like SPF let down the replica community by hooking up with Shelby. Personally, I wouldn't have an SPF product as a result....

So if Nike negotiated with the NFL to allow Nike to be the official shoe of the NFL, you would think that Nike let down the athletic shoe community? What kind of logic is that? At face value, it looks as infantile as calling someone a "sellout." Really?
So we shouldn't look forward to you being on SCOF? Good, we don't want your sorry ass.

You should really see/drive/experience the SPF Brock Coupe before commenting on it. They really are an amazing machine. It's as different as a Viper driver saying, "What's it like to drive a Cobra?"

VetteManGRO 08-25-2008 09:16 PM

Aprently someone doesn't like me...or someone posting in my behalf....I got this as a private message tonight with my daughter on my lap....WTF!

Dear VetteManGRO,

Madmiles442 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - SPF Coupe VS FFR Coupe - in the ALL COBRA TALK forum of Club Cobra.

This thread is located at:
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/show...0&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by Excaliber)---
.. that suit involving SPF/Shelby has always left a bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like SPF let down the replica community by hooking up with Shelby. Personally, I wouldn't have an SPF product as a result....
---End Quote---
So if Nike negotiated with the NFL to allow Nike to be the official shoe of the NFL, you would think that Nike let down the athletic shoe community? What kind of logic is that? At face value, it looks as infantile as calling someone a "sellout." Really?
So we shouldn't look forward to you being on SCOF? Good, we don't want your sorry ass.

You should really see/drive/experience the SPF Brock Coupe before commenting on it. They really are an amazing machine. It's as different as a Viper driver saying, "What's it like to drive a Cobra?"

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Club Cobra

VetteManGRO 08-25-2008 09:25 PM

No bias,

I have no bias at all. I am buying a SPF...It suits my wants of the car. I want a TOURING car not just a spec racer. There are no hard feelings either way toward SPF or FFR. One car fits me...the other rocks but wouldn't be a daily like I want. Bottom line. I'll pay a bit more to have a daily driver that makes my grocery getter that much more! Where ys gonna put that pickle...bend over...Ill show ya! har!

Excaliber 08-25-2008 10:15 PM

Hey Madmiles4442, phuck you and your sorry ass, we don't need your scum around Club Cobra either.

I got an opinion, here it is, shove your SPF up yur a$$.

SPF phucking looser sell out wimps!

Jamo 08-25-2008 10:45 PM

Ernie and Mad Miles...go to your rooms. Any more posting by either of you on this thread whatsoever, or further barbs at each other elsewhere at this site will earn you suspensions.

Thank you for your expected cooperation. :cool: