Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     
Default Lessons learned: "subtitled I should know better"

Took the Cobra out this past Sunday evening, to a weekly hot rod get together that's about an hour away from where I live.

First mistake - didn't check the air pressure in my billboards. I know they leak, but still didn't check them. They looked okay.

Headed down the backroads, really nice driving, weather was perfect. The rest of the day sucked, so this was going to be a nice end. Or so I thought.

We get about a mile from the drive-in diner where the meet is, and all of a sudden a hear a helicopter sound from the back of the car. Crap, flat tire.

Pull into the shopping center parking lot. I do have a spare in my car. It's a 5th Trigo wheel that's been narrowed to fit in a Cobra trunk, with a new BFG tire on it.

Second mistake - never checked the air pressure in it. It was very low. Not too big a deal, figured I'd be able to get to the gas station down the road and fill it up.

Third mistake - Didn't have a jack, lead hammer, or wire cutters in the car (okay, maybe that's really a few mistakes). I HAVE them, and for whatever reason didn't have them in the car.

Hrm. Okay. I have roadside assistance with my collectors insurance. Take the card out of my wallet.

Forth mistake - the card was for the previous company. Didn't have the new one with me. Was sitting on my desk at home next to my computer.

Had my wife call her brother to see if he could find a number online, but no avail.

So now, it's after 5pm on Sunday, nothing is open, I have no jack, no lead hammer, no wire cutters, no roadside assistance. Great.

Only thing I could think of, was to call the diner and see if they could ask someone to come down with a low jack and hammer. They did.

The show head guy comes over with a hammer, low alloy jack, and a piece of 2x4 that he thought would be good to use on the knock off so I didn't damage it with a steel hammer. He takes off and says he'll be back in 10 minutes. The wood breaks on the first hit, which of course I expected. So I carefully knock the spinner loose. Then I go to put the jack under the car. Uh oh. With the wheel flat, the car is so low, even this jack can't get under it. I try to jack it from the front, hoping the stiff chassis would lift the rear also, but it was just too far forward. So then I come up with the idea of using the split 2x4 as a jack stand to hold the chassis up enough to get the jack under the back of the car. It worked!

So I get the wheel changed. Now, remember that narrowed spare that fits in the trunk? Well, the huge rear wheel sure doesn't. Gotta tie the trunk down now.

Head to the gas station to air the tire up. Put air in it, take the chuck off, and the valve core is loose and leaking! Ugh. Well, it was a metal valve stem with a metal cap with a seal. I put it on tight in hopes it would hold the pressure enough to get home. Check the other rear tire... 10 psi. Great. Tread is gone on that one too.

So I hobble home, and now have two new rear tires here to go on.

I can't believe how unprepared I was for this. Don't let it happen to you.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 10-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

The good news is you made it home. Thanks for the warning to the rest of
us that it can happen to anyone. I have one rim with a slow leak on my CR
in Hawaii so I never go anywhere without checking the tires. One thing about
living in Hawaii - You almost never do an overnighter in a Cobra so no
problem with losing too much air in a day - so far.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

..as it stands now with me, flat tire = roll-back time.

I never venture further than AAA can get me back, free of charge. The Z06 serves for the long distance fun runs
Old 10-21-2008, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC
Not Ranked     

I was waiting for the part when the thunderstorm rolled through!

Glad you made it home!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 931 mangled in parkinglot incident - traded for new house roof <sob>
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Took the Cobra out this past Sunday evening, to a weekly hot rod get together that's about an hour away from where I live.

First mistake - didn't check the air pressure in my billboards. I know they leak, but still didn't check them. They looked okay.

Headed down the backroads, really nice driving, weather was perfect. The rest of the day sucked, so this was going to be a nice end. Or so I thought.

We get about a mile from the drive-in diner where the meet is, and all of a sudden a hear a helicopter sound from the back of the car. Crap, flat tire.

Pull into the shopping center parking lot. I do have a spare in my car. It's a 5th Trigo wheel that's been narrowed to fit in a Cobra trunk, with a new BFG tire on it.

Second mistake - never checked the air pressure in it. It was very low. Not too big a deal, figured I'd be able to get to the gas station down the road and fill it up.

Third mistake - Didn't have a jack, lead hammer, or wire cutters in the car (okay, maybe that's really a few mistakes). I HAVE them, and for whatever reason didn't have them in the car.

Hrm. Okay. I have roadside assistance with my collectors insurance. Take the card out of my wallet.

Forth mistake - the card was for the previous company. Didn't have the new one with me. Was sitting on my desk at home next to my computer.

Had my wife call her brother to see if he could find a number online, but no avail.

So now, it's after 5pm on Sunday, nothing is open, I have no jack, no lead hammer, no wire cutters, no roadside assistance. Great.

Only thing I could think of, was to call the diner and see if they could ask someone to come down with a low jack and hammer. They did.

The show head guy comes over with a hammer, low alloy jack, and a piece of 2x4 that he thought would be good to use on the knock off so I didn't damage it with a steel hammer. He takes off and says he'll be back in 10 minutes. The wood breaks on the first hit, which of course I expected. So I carefully knock the spinner loose. Then I go to put the jack under the car. Uh oh. With the wheel flat, the car is so low, even this jack can't get under it. I try to jack it from the front, hoping the stiff chassis would lift the rear also, but it was just too far forward. So then I come up with the idea of using the split 2x4 as a jack stand to hold the chassis up enough to get the jack under the back of the car. It worked!

So I get the wheel changed. Now, remember that narrowed spare that fits in the trunk? Well, the huge rear wheel sure doesn't. Gotta tie the trunk down now.

Head to the gas station to air the tire up. Put air in it, take the chuck off, and the valve core is loose and leaking! Ugh. Well, it was a metal valve stem with a metal cap with a seal. I put it on tight in hopes it would hold the pressure enough to get home. Check the other rear tire... 10 psi. Great. Tread is gone on that one too.

So I hobble home, and now have two new rear tires here to go on.

I can't believe how unprepared I was for this. Don't let it happen to you.
Wow....its like lokking into a mirror. I have had those exact same thing happen except I broke ALL the ears off my spiners. But I can top that when that stupid b!tch in the newyorker smashed into my car all because i was to damn cheap and sams club had wine on sale. I only buy the good stuff at the lickker store now

McVette
Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Sal,

That is quite a story, and I am glad that you made it home ok. I never had a spare but had enough belts, extra wires, coils, and Fix A Flat in my trunk that people used to tell me I should just put a spare engine in there.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 10-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
I never venture further than AAA can get me back, free of charge. The Z06 serves for the long distance fun runs
What he said.

I only left the house ONCE without my tools, etc. and a cell phone. I was lucky that the carb float bowl hung open (from some debris that made its way past the crappy filter that was on the car at the time) only 2 blocks from my house. It was the dark clouds circling that had me frantic. What was supposed to be a simple five minute test and tune run ended up being close to 30 minutes of frantic work, ringing doorbells to borrow a phone, borrowing tools, etc. and race the storm. I made it back to my garage with about 3 minutes to spare. Now go through a "pre-flight" check on every run just to make sure I have the essentials. And the "complete" tool bag, bottle jack and portable jack stands never leave the trunk.

-Dean
Old 10-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Sal...lo siento for les troubles, hombre.

You've commented on the leaking Big Letters more than a few times. I'm on my third set and never had one leak a pound even when sitting for a month or so during the winter.

Really think you've got a wheel issue...asspecially given the spare/BFG.

No flat-fixer can(s)/air pump/plug kit? I drive hundreds of miles in the Cobra with that stuff in a kit with no spare or jack. Never needed them...but they are there and take up a heck of a lot less space.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Cobra 5.0 EFI 5 speed Trans
Not Ranked     

I know how you feel. I went for a ride with the wife. We got about fifty miles from home and the fan breaks loosefrom the mounts.I unplug the fan . Were ok as long as were moving.Drive about 10 miles on back roads till we get to express way. Every thing is great then . Temp stays at 190. Then theres a load noise , then a scrapping sound from under the car. Before I could get off the road ,I see the fan go flying out the back of the car and sail off into the cattails . The rest of the ride was ok .The lesson I learned was never pop rivet the fan mounting brackets , use SS screws and lock nuts. Roger
Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

wow- what a tale! i would have freaked!
Gary told me to NEVER leave the garage without checking the air. NEVER!
In my trunk I have:
fix a flat, low profile jack, cheap chock, lead hammer, wire cutter, safety wire and tool, rags, gloves, and aloe vera. (for burns)

thank GOODNESS I never had to use any of it. whew!!
get a small bag from pep boys and put all that stuff in it and keep it in the car at all times. you'll be glad.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi Tech vintage 427 s/o
Not Ranked     

Had it happen to me only once and after that i went to the nearest Harbor Freight store and bought me an Coleman mini air pump. It plugs into the cigarette socket behind the dash and works great in getting the tire up,after i squeeze the green slime sealant in the tire,works great in everything but a shredded tire and i don't need to worry about carrying wire cutters or an jack. Total cost about 30 bucks.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

I expected to have to monitor slow leaks from my BB's but I haven't had any issues either. They hold air fine.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Sal
Thanks for the reminder. I have a set of Goodyear radials on the standard SPF style wheels, and they all lose a little air ... so I usually check them about once a month and add maybe a pound.

After reading your adventure this morning, all I could think was ..... Hmmmmm ... maybe its been longer than a month .... probably 2 or 3 months.

I run about 20 PSI in the tires. Got out the pressure gauge and all 4 were down to either 14 or 15 PSI. Had to go fill my air tank, but as of 3 PM all my tires are at 20 PSI.

Thanks

P.S. - it must be that foul Florida air. If you're nostalgic for the 'good old days', I can send you down some New England air.

Last edited by wtm442; 10-21-2008 at 08:01 PM..
Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you should look into some run flats. Good you made it home.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe 1 View Post
Sounds like you should look into some run flats.
Don't those require special wheels and a tire pressure monitoring system? Plus, they cost a fortune.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

Sal,

Have you already changed the air in your tires to "FALL" air?
I know, being from up yonder in the "COLD FRIGID" country you probably put Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring air in your tires but down here in FLOORIDDAH you have to make sure you use the proper air in your tires for the time of year and you should have still been running "SUMMER" air......heck, everyone knows here in the SUNSHINE (sometimes Liquid) state theres only two types of "AIR" to run, either Summer or Winter......

Seriously, gald you made it home OK............................
Old 10-23-2008, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates,SBF 357
Not Ranked     

Most of us up north have started using the new stuff. It's called year around air. It may be comming to a compressor near you soon.

Last edited by sharpe 1; 10-23-2008 at 06:13 AM..
Old 10-23-2008, 06:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

For those Oh **** moments I rigged up a BJ in a can, stash it in the trunk and forget until you gotta have it. I keep a can of R134 refrigerant and the cheapo filler hose with the schrader valve adapter. Fills the big old BB and more without the foam of Fix A Flat or finishes the fill after the foam.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
For those Oh **** moments I rigged up a BJ in a can, stash it in the trunk and forget until you gotta have it. I keep a can of R134 refrigerant and the cheapo filler hose with the schrader valve adapter. Fills the big old BB and more without the foam of Fix A Flat or finishes the fill after the foam.
After the R134, drive it a while and the tire pressure goes from 15 psi to 60.. Don't forget your pressure-temperature-relationship chart

I've actually seen one tire explode after driving due to refrigerant being introduced into it in an emergency situation.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not to mention using refrigerant in this way is illegal. There's a reason why AC shops have big expensive machines to evacuate and capture the stuff.