26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Did a Hurricaine "get" Hurricaine

Did "Ike" get them? Called about sum parts, number disconected. Whatsup?
Old 10-05-2008, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

what are you looking for?
it seems nobody has heard anything in over a month, kinda crazy to dump
100k+ into something and this is how you start your PR

Bobby
Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: many Hurricanes
Not Ranked     

I've also been trying to reach them. Chris called me several weeks ago to let me know they still hadn't started to produce anything. Now I've left 2 phone messages and an e-mail, but no response. My company has built many Hurricanes and was anxious to see the business start up again. Chis is only 22 years old and I've never spoken to his dad which is suppose to be running the place. Without any background in the Cobra world, I'm afraid they're in over their heads. If something doesn't happen by Spring, you might see me start a Hurricane continuation. Let me know if you need part sources.

Bonnie @ www.ExoticRe-Creations.com
Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: JBL now SOLD
Send a message via AIM to jdean
Not Ranked     

I was thinking about buying a Hurricane a few months ago.....I like the product and price but decided not to persue based on the instability.

There are several folks around here left in limbo right now. They need their situation to be made right by Hurricane. This would cost Hurricane a few bucks out of their pocket in the short term, but buy them a ton of good will in the long term. Apparently this equation takes some experience to understand. In my opinion, once you have a product out there that has proven itself, you only need good communication and customer service to be successful.

So far the new owners get an "F" on both.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well stated! But you also need some business experience. Owning a business isn't exactly a cake walk and then when you don't have any knowledge about the field you entered...that's 2 strikes against you! Anyone that is having a problem with their Hurricane is welcome to give me a call and I'll see if I can help them sort it out. I never had a desire to make the molds or design a chassis....but those feelings are fading right now. Hurricane has a body to die for and was very period correct with their interior and exterior.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via ICQ to Joemaz
Not Ranked     

I also tried to call Chris...and sent him 2 emails with detailed information on ordering a Kit sometime in October...............No answer..........! I might be going with a B&B roadster if I don't hear something in the next couple of weeks....!
Old 10-05-2008, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The last 2 turn keys we sold were B&B. I have a 1 year old B&B with 1K miles and fuel injected for $39K that will be in my shop later this week if you're interested.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemaz View Post
I also tried to call Chris...and sent him 2 emails with detailed information on ordering a Kit sometime in October...............No answer..........! I might be going with a B&B roadster if I don't hear something in the next couple of weeks....!

I've got a nice almost finished FFR for sale if you are interested

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-05-2008, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob,
That would be great if you can find out what's going on and why the office number has been disconnected. Please let us know asap. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

I do not want too talk bad about the new owners but they have some big shoes to fill
mike,rich,jason and the rest of the crew were great people providing dynomite service and product to match

A few weeks ago I was parked between a era and a csx the shape of the body and layout of the interiors were difficult to tell apart

Bobby
Old 10-05-2008, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     
Default I'll check it out

I work 10 minutes from their new shop in Arlington, Texas. I took a shop tour with Chris a few weeks ago. I'll drive by on monday and check it out.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I am new to this sport and in the process of ordering and building my first car. Having learned that Hurricane moved to Arlington, I drove up from Houston the first week of September to meet Chris and look around. The following is PURELY MY OPINION based on 25+ years of starting companies as well as building and racing a few go-fast boats and cars:

They were literally unpacking boxes full of parts, taking inventory and setting up shop when I arrived. They have a nice facility, more than enough to run the business. The only downside is their front door is literally about 20 yards from the back door of Reher Morrison Racing Engines. Listening to massive V-8s revved to the rafters all day might get tiresome.

Chris is young but to his credit he recognizes that a number of things need to be improved on before commencing production. Chris made it very clear to me up front that until they correct some very critical issues with the jigs and molds, no cars would be produced. The body molds do not appear to have ever been freshened up and need some TLC around the edges. The frame jig appears to have been modified over time and there seems to be areas subject to "operator discretion." I cannot see how two different people could produce the same frame using the jig in its current state, the tolerances are too great. That alone will hamper any hope of redundant or reliable production volume. For those of you who bought cars made with that jig, you can be very proud that your frame has a BUNCH of man hours in it. But Chris and team had already figured out what they needed/wanted to change and were working on that the day of my visit.

I spoke with Chris earlier this past week and had hoped to rendezvous with him east of Houston where he was running his altered alcohol dragster this weekend (the Whites have an abudance of go-fast cars, projects and experience based on all the toys that were parked in the Hurricane shop.) I didn't make it to the race but when we spoke, Chris shared that the body work was progressing albeit much slower than he had hoped. He said the jig work had progressed nicely and he thought they would be making the first chassis in a matter of days with the first body soon to follow. (FYI, Chris is hell-bent on popping a body out of that mold that will require virtually no significant prep before priming. I am okay waiting a while longer if that's the outcome.) If all goes as planned, I intend to have one of the first kits delivered to me as soon as he can get it on a trailer. Clearly this is a well-regarded kit but I think it will be even that much better once production resumes. And I think Chris will go to great lengths to make sure his customers are happy once they take delivery.

I do not know the terms of the purchase of Hurricane, what obligations were assumed (if any) and who owes what to who. I suspect Chris is drowning in emails and calls and I know he is spending lots of time back in the shop. I think these guys fully intend to commence production ASAP and while I am certainly no spokesman for Hurricane, I will keep everyone updated on my progress. >> P.S. I have never had a problem with getting through on the phone numbers shown on the website.

Regards,

Jim

Last edited by elmariachi; 10-05-2008 at 10:28 PM..
Old 10-05-2008, 11:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jim,
Please try your contact numbers for Chris because the toll free office line has been disconnected since last week. I told Chris in early August that the doors were different widths on the Hurricane and the chassis isn't square. By the time we'd built the first half dozen Hurricanes we realized that each one had slight differences but Rich and Mike weren't interested in correcting them. After that we just laughed when we unpacked the boxes...never knew what parts had been changed or how many things were missing. I don't think there is a perfect kit on the market. We found vast differences between the 2 B&B turn key minus Cobras we built and that owner has been making kits for about 25 years. Sometimes I think I'm too anal for this business. If I can find a manufacturer that is willing to correct any problems and not ship a car that has defects.....I'll be the happiest person on Earth! Lets all hope that Hurricane can continue.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra girl 5 View Post
Hi Jim,
Please try your contact numbers for Chris because the toll free office line has been disconnected since last week. I told Chris in early August that the doors were different widths on the Hurricane and the chassis isn't square. By the time we'd built the first half dozen Hurricanes we realized that each one had slight differences but Rich and Mike weren't interested in correcting them. After that we just laughed when we unpacked the boxes...never knew what parts had been changed or how many things were missing.
Hi Bonnie, nice to meet you. I think your comments hit the nail on the head with regard to what Chris is trying to fix with thr molds and jigs. FYI, I wouldn't panic about the toll free line not working. Not speaking for Chris, but that be could something as simple as the old owner's phone plan coming to an end. The 817 number works and if its any consolation, based on what I saw when I visited Hurricane, they will have no problem paying the phone bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra girl 5 View Post
If I can find a manufacturer that is willing to correct any problems and not ship a car that has defects.....I'll be the happiest person on Earth! Lets all hope that Hurricane can continue.
That is what I am betting on.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Bonnie, Nice to hear from you regarding Hurricane Motorsports. It's difficult to understand why Hurricane can't communicate their respective business activities with some routine updates.
It's great if Chris White and friends are working to improve the Hurricane, but he should be letting people know his progress.
As for quality, we both know there is lots to be done to improve the car and make it one of the leaders in the industry.
Too bad your not involved to demand a better business operation. Keep up the interest, hopefully things will develop and they will produce something soon.

Best Regards, Bill
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I do not have a dog in this fight, but with all the nightmare stories that take place if one is set on builidng their own (no roller) then the logical choice is factory five. They are well organized, parts on the shelf, etc. Just because something is hard does not make it better. I witnessed a similiar story at the Evert Morrison facility in LaPorte about 6 months ago. They were unpacking boxes etc. Driven by the shop a number of times and noyone is there.

This is one area you need to stay with the big boys, factory five, ERA, or get a roller bdr or superformance.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i have been out of the area all last week and while there my phone took a dump. but i didnt know that the toll number was not working. i can get that looked at. we are trying our hardest to get everything started and rolling. i have pulled out of my office more trying to get more done in the shop so we can get stuff sent out faster. but to get things going we will bring in more workers which could increase over head we have been trying to keep that low and help in the long run for everyone. and yes the hurricane sorta did get us. our fiberglass supplier could not get us anything till about a week ago since hurricane gustva then ike didnt help that. we cleared all the body shops around trying to get supplys. we just last week got a shipment of metal in and still dont have everything due to the metal supplier couldnt get stuff either. we are using american made steel but it still has to be sent from all directions so we get slowd down by that. the molds will be sent to the fiberglass shop today for the last little bit of repairs needed and to be gel coated so bodys can be poped now. we also are repairing old customers cars at the same time and fix the problems that caused the problems with there cars. ok back to workin for me
Old 10-06-2008, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Chris
Are you changing the body (shape, etc) at all or are the changes just repair of the molds?
Larry
Old 10-06-2008, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info and it was nice to see Chris responded. At least now I know there is still life in the company. Also, Bill you're right that we both know many changes need to be made in order for Hurricane to ever have a smooth production without problems. I know you had hoped I would buy Hurricane when it went up for sale. The price was very high for what you got and I just didn't have a desire to own the messy part. I enjoy a clean shop at the assembly end. We've sold out of new turn keys at the moment. 4 sold in the last several weeks and I had geared down because of the economy. Boy did I misread that the demand for Cobras never stops. We've picked up some slightly used ones to sell until we figure out our supplier. Hope all is well in Havasu. We didn't sign up for Run to the Sun because of our inventory problem. Stay in touch.
Bonnie
Old 10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Okay I just returned from a lunch hour visit to the new Hurricane Motorsports facility in Arlington, Texas. Chris and his dad were both there, and Chris took me out to the shop. They were busily loading up all of the body molds, compressors and tools and are moving them to their body fabrication shop in Tyler, Texas today. All of the bodies will be popped at that location. Chris showed me all of the work that they have been doing on the molds to improve quality of the bodies. Their goal he stated is to be able to produce a uniform body and frame every time.

The Arlington shop will still be the primary sales office and frame assembly shop. Chris showed me the frame jig and a load of American steel they just received. He refuses to buy imported steel from China or anything local that has been melted down from scrap and recast.

The story with the 888 toll-free number is: The previous owners in Missouri still had the number and they were handling the forwarding to the local Texas line. Chris doesn’t know why it is not working, but he has been trying to reach them to get it straightened out. Their local number works as always. He has been on the road the past week all over the country and was out of cell phone service range most of the time.

And finally Chris said that he is hiring another welder, and some front office help to answer phones and such.

I see Chris made a post to this thread but I haven’t read it yet and I’m in a hurry so back to work for me!

So it looks to me like things are moving along at Hurricane.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!