Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Headlight and instrument light switch question

I'm starting to plan my wiring harness installation, I just ordered a complete Ron Francis harness for my Contemporary. I have the complete car disassembled, the old harness is out, and the instrument panel is completely disassembled. My question is on the original controls for the headlights and instrument lights. What type of switch was used to turn on the head and tail lights? Was it a typical push pull light switch or a toggle switch? Anyone have the part number and supplier? Also, the instrument panel lights probably went on and off with this switch. I understand there was a rotary rheostat that was separate from the light switch that controlled the dim - bright feature of the instrument lights? Again, anyone have a part number and supplier for this switch? I need the small indicator lights for the panel (charge, directional, high beam). Does anyone know a part number and supplier for these? I would like high quality ones and as close to original as possible. Lastly, can someone provide a link here to a good representation of the layout of the S/C panel, with what the switches looked like and the position of all switches, indicator lights and gauges on the panel? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

You can get all your switches from here: http://www.holden.co.uk/
They do mail-order to anywhere.

Paul
Old 12-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, now if I only knew which switches they are!
Old 12-20-2008, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Motor Car; 427 S/O
Not Ranked     
Default switches

Doug: The layout is in the build manual. If not clear enough you can take pics of mine. Also, Cobra Restorers or Finnishline have replacement Lucas switches and indicator lights. I just replaced 2 switches (outer pusher fans and dash lights). Call me.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralph - thanks! Please PM me your phone number.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Doug

The headlights are a double switch Lucas toggle 31807E 4388 I think as its small print. (Fuel pump and fan are both single switch 318280 2681.)
The instrument panel dimmer is a rheostat with knob #3R 78405, also Lucas. (Wiper is also a knob type # switch PRS7 54033632)
Horn? Indicator lights are metal, I think FL offers plastic MG type? (incorrect)

Jeff

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 12-20-2008 at 06:42 PM..
Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 CCX View Post
The instrument panel dimmer is a rheostat with knob #3R 78405, also Lucas. (Wiper is also a knob type # switch PRS7 54033632)Jeff
Jeff and all.

Were the original dash switches the 12.5mm or 14.5mm variety (hole diameter) and did they use the round ring retainers or hex nut?

Thanks,
Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Are you rewiring everything from scratch and not reusing any of the old harness?

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 02-19-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Are you rewiring everything from scratch nad not reusing any of the old harness?
Not at all, though I would be doing a lot more if I had access to original wiring references. Hurricanes come with a Haywire harness, which is sufficient for this car. I just want to replace all the Radio Shack toggles with original style Lucas for looks.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Actual car: AC Autokraft MK IV with Keith Craft 331. Gone: Home built Crendon, original style twin tube frame, powder coated, stainless sidepipes. FE 433
Not Ranked     

Holden Nrs are:

-Toggle switch, Off-On-On,(Lighting): #31788
-Turn switch, Rheostat (Panel lights): #78405
-Knob, fluted for Rheostat, without writing: #316163, too expensive, buy knob at superformance dealer or cobrarestorers.com
-Horn, push button, often used as starter button: #SPB106
-absolutely necessary for the correct switch look would be the turn switch for wipers with the same style fluted knob as the panel light one with correct writing on it. -> see again cobrarestores.com

You can't be shure that the showed bezels (round or hex ) come with the toggle switches. Bought the same switch two times, delivered one with hex bezel and one with round bezel.

The air knob on the left is fake, it is sitting on a alfa romeo pull switch with the correct chrome bezel switching a small axial fan for footwell ventilation....

Sorry for that red hazard warning switch, we have to use them here in Germany....

Uwe
Attached Images

Last edited by westcott cobra; 02-20-2009 at 02:37 AM..
Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Toggle w/ relays

Jim,
I used the 3-position Lucas toggle switch that is sold as a wiper switch for my headlight switch. To be safe, I ran the system with a couple relays so high amperage wasn't being switched by the switch.

The Haywire harness is useable, you're just changing their switch for another switch and a couple relays.

Recognize when you give up the Hurricane light switch, you'll need to do something for the panel light dimmer. I built one from RadioShack parts. After a number of builds, I then learned you can buy most of the parts you're looking for, including the dimmer and knobs, from Superformance for very reasonable prices.

Paul
Old 02-20-2009, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProe View Post
Jim,
I used the 3-position Lucas toggle switch that is sold as a wiper switch for my headlight switch. To be safe, I ran the system with a couple relays so high amperage wasn't being switched by the switch.Paul
Good stuff, thanks. I am going to take that Hurricane wiring harness file you sent me and project it on my garage wall with my Dell projector 8'x10'. Then we'll get down to doing some wiring. Thanks Paul.