LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Canadian Cobra kit distributors

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and reside in Canada. I am seriously looking at a Cobra kit car.

I am looking for help with the following questions most likely from other Canadians who have purchased a kit or know the Canadian Customs and DOT rules on importing a kit from the US:

1) with the exception of Factory Five who have a Canadian distributor, do other companies (Shell Valley, Unique, B&B, etc) have Canadian distributors?

2) if no distributor, what is the process for importing a kit.

3) has anyone purchased a kit from Canada Cobras in Edmonton?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the fourm!
I think D&D is a Canadian manufacturer. They used to sell here in the states under "Turn Ten" but I think (I could be wrong) they closed here. Not sure about their Canadian works. Nice looking frame on their cars.
Take a look: http://www.ddcobra.com/index.html
Larry
Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Larry.

I will check into D&D
Old 01-06-2009, 02:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: D&D
Not Ranked     

I have a D&D and if doing it again I would buy the same kit. I have a evo5 and you can view a few pics by clicking on the camera icon under my name. I know that D&D just moved to a new shop and if you search for D&D cobra his new contact number should be there. Also a member Hawkeye has some pictures posted. Good luck in your search.
Cheers Greg
Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
You might try contacting 427SnakeSc. He lives in Canada and just went through the process of getting his CSX up there and legal, so he would know all of the latest stuff with Transport Canada. Also Warren, Wtm442, has a map that he tries to keep updated of all the kit car manufacturers and where they are. He will send you a copy of it if yo contact him

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

If you try to import a kit yourself, make sure that you understand the process before your kit arrives at the border. You must make sure that everything arrives as auto parts, not a car. It is probably best to not even have all of the parts delivered in the same shipment. An ERA was recently held at Candian Customs for months due to an insignificant detail.

Where do you live? I bought a Johnex in 1999 and had it on the road in 2001. I would be happy to show it to you once the snow is all gone.

Wayne
Old 01-06-2009, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Greg - I appreciate your feedback and thanks for the photos - very nice.
I will contact D&D to get pricing.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron. 427SnakeSC has contacted me.
I will contact Warren to see his updated map.
Cheers,
Brian
Old 01-06-2009, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Wayne. I have heard of a similar holdup at the border with Canada Customs and tend to be leaning towards a Canadian distributor of manufacturer.

I live in Kamloops, BC - perhaps a little too far to drive to show me your Johnex but I do appreciate your offer and your help.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have a D&D and I think it's great. I live in Langley in the lower Mainland so if you are in the area give me a call. You can see my progress in my gallery.

If you PM me I can give you a phone number.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes, BC is just a tad too far away.

You can do a search here on CC as this topic has been discussed several times. Basically you cannot bring a kit car into Canada as it does not meet Federal regulations (no air bags, no crash testing etc). However, you can import car parts so you must absolutely make sure that you are importing car parts. The best way to do this is not to bring everything in at the same time as some bone head in Canada Customs can make a decision that this is a car that is in pieces. You will have to contact someone in the know as to what is required at the provincial level to get the car inspected and licenced.

One tip. Do not try to contact Transport Canada to get information from them. They are clueless and will actually try to stop you from going ahead with this project. Do your homework then have some fun.

Wayne
Old 01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Brian,

If you want to take a flight will be Suprise by the quality of our Cobra!!

We use top quality suplyer like Wilwood,Tilton,Ford Racing,Flaming River,QA1,Lokar,Motolita,ect...

Thanks Don,
Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Maybury View Post
If you try to import a kit yourself, make sure that you understand the process before your kit arrives at the border. You must make sure that everything arrives as auto parts, not a car. It is probably best to not even have all of the parts delivered in the same shipment. An ERA was recently held at Candian Customs for months due to an insignificant detail.

Where do you live? I bought a Johnex in 1999 and had it on the road in 2001. I would be happy to show it to you once the snow is all gone.

Wayne
Hey Wayne,

Do you will come at sanair this year????
Don,
Old 01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Start with companies that currently do business in Canada. If none of these fit what you want, then continue your search.

Good Luck

Refined Performance Motorsports Canada http://www.rpcobras.com (647) 218-9540
Boss Replica Motors Canada - Burlington, Ontario http://www.bossreplicamotors.com/ bret@bossreplicamotors.ca
Western Canada Cobra Canada - Calgary 403 275 8971
Can-Am Motorcars Canada - Chilliwack, BC 604 823-2311
Cobra Mongoose Enterprises Canada - Montreal, Quebec (514) 669-1223
Johnex3 Motorsports Canada - Niagara Falls http://www.johnexcobras.com/ form on website
Phantom Cobras Canada - Ontario http://www.phantomcobras.com/
Pigeon Performance Canada - Quebec http://www.pigeonperformance.com/ pigeon.performance@videotron.ca
DD Cobra Canada - Quebec (*) http://www.ddcobra.com/ info@ddcobra.com
Canadian Cobras and Roadsters Canada- Edmonton, Alberta 800-661-3954 403-468-2585

Factory Five Racing
Western Canada Cobras Canada - http://www.westerncanadacobras.com/ cobrainfo@shaw.ca
Pilgrim Cars
Haler Concepts Ltd Canada - Innisfail, Alberta http://www.halerconcepts.com/ chris@halerconcepts.com

Superformance
Macro Autosports Canada - Concord, Ontario http://www.superformance.ca/ sales@superformance.ca
White Rock Motorsports Canada - Surrey, BC http://www.superformance.ca/ whiterockmotorsports@telus.net
Dale Adams Performance Canada - Calgary, Alberta http://www.superformance.ca/ sales@superformance.ca
Thunder City Power & Leisure Canada - Regina, SK http://www.superformance.ca/ salesregina@thundercity.ca
Unicorn Motorsports Canada - Lachine, Quebec http://www.superformance.ca/ ahabrich@unicorn-motors.com
Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don, unfortunately I will not be able to make Sanair this year. To get from B.C. to Quebec requires some planning and this year is all planned out with becoming a Grandparent and my son getting married. The rest of my focus is getting the Cobra finished. If you check my gallery you can see it's coming but not done yet.
Maybe one year I'll get out there for Sanair.
Thanks for the invite and keep those pictures coming.

Regards

Wayne
Old 01-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcobra View Post
Hey Wayne,

Do you will come at sanair this year????
Don,
I didn't make it in 2008 but I may be able to go this summer.

I am looking forward to retiring in a year or two so that I will have more time to play with my toys.

Wayne
Old 01-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wayne,

You are way to young to retire. You can still play with your toys and work. Now Wes is another matter since he seems to be slipping. You know, his wife's $300 electronic car key through the snow blower and such. When you start doing things like that, then it is time you can think of joining Warren and I.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ron, are we officially hijacking this thread?

I have to travel often for my job and it always seems that I am out of town when we have good driving weather. When I am at home, I am too tired or else it is raining or whatever. I also sail a lot so that takes care of many weekends not leaving enough time for the Cobra or the Mustang.

It looks like our company may be cutting back on travel this year so I may be at home more than I have been the past 10 years.

Wayne
Old 01-14-2009, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Don,

I may have business in Toronto and Montreal early next month. I understand that your shop is about 30km south of Montreal so I could make sure I come to visit. I will confirm my travel plans in a week or two.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 10-30-2013, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra International body Waltech frame
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickwharf View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and reside in Canada. I am seriously looking at a Cobra kit car.

I am looking for help with the following questions most likely from other Canadians who have purchased a kit or know the Canadian Customs and DOT rules on importing a kit from the US:

1) with the exception of Factory Five who have a Canadian distributor, do other companies (Shell Valley, Unique, B&B, etc) have Canadian distributors?

2) if no distributor, what is the process for importing a kit.

3) has anyone purchased a kit from Canada Cobras in Edmonton?

Thanks
I can help you on the Shell Valley side. They are presently setting up a office here in Toronto. Contact me as I am the rep.