LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
OK...uh...well...thanks for stopping by then?

I guess we've officially hit "the dog days of summer."
I just want to know if he or she is a medical doctor or one of those Phd people who think they're doctors, and add the Dr. before their name. Like the PE teacher who calls himself or herself Dr. Jones or Dr. Smith....Phd of PE.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I just want to know if he or she is a medical doctor or one of those Phd people who think they're doctors, and add the Dr. before their name. Like the PE teacher who calls himself or herself Dr. Jones or Dr. Smith....Phd of PE.
er, just to be pedantic, as you;ve knocked my trade.....

'Dr' is the correct title for the holder of a PhD: Doctor of Philosophy

The medical title is honourary for those starting out in clinical practice with just a couple of undergraduate degrees.

However, holders of an MD are also fully entitled to use said prefix.

Recent history has muddled these things up.

Dr Wells has spoken. I thank you.

Last edited by KevinW; 08-26-2009 at 02:24 PM..
Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
er, just to be pedantic, as you;ve knocked my trade.....

'Dr' is the correct title for the holder of a PhD: Doctor of Philosophy

The medical title is honourary for those starting out in clinical practice with just a couple of undergraduate degrees.

However, holders of an MD are also fully entitled to use said prefix.

Recent history has muddled these things up.

Dr Wells has spoken. I thank you.
Yes, but you're English. The accent would make a difference, actually elevating the person in our cast society, even if your doctorate was in the subject of Physical Education.

No malice intended. Just trying to make fun of "hit and run" by DR385.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Master Mongoose7 speaks truth.
Quote:
Grasshopper, you must have balance.
The experience with my ERA tell's me it's extremely difficult to hook up much over 500 horse, I don't care what it cost you!

I was running the Goodyear Bill boards, a reasonably good traction tire that works well on the street or the track. My soild roller cam high compression side oiler was making over 600 horse, turned 11.90 ET on the drag strip. Was HELL to drive on the street. Rebuilt, reduced compression, smaller cam, smaller carbs, street friendly, run's on pump gas, DOUBLED the mpg. I estimate, actually Gessford Machine's George Anderson estimated, I gave up about a 150 horse power. Back to the track: 11.99 and a loss of about 3 mph trap speed. I was blown away! Unless you plan on running slicks and are seriously into the drag strip there is little point in going beyond 500 horse.

I'll take a Windsor based motor myself for a REASONABLE budget. I think the over all package (weight, size, potential mpg) is superior to a 385 series motor. Having the money, I'd go for a "de-tuned" SOHC 'cause they look so cool, but 700 horse is a waste of time.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rodknock,

LOL, Even I couldn’t have chosen a more poetically divine name for a "FE"-TARD. My diagnosis is not hit and run, I will stand by it and the treatment. Please go get your rope.

KevinW,

Pendantic, High function Autistic?.... No just English, but that’s close enough.

Excaliber,

Ah yes, the mythical piece of metal stuck in to a stone..... I’ll just leave that be.
You seem to suffer (not near as much as those around you, but I digress)from one of the MOST SEVERE cases of “FE”-TARDATION I’ve seen. Unfortunately, It appears you also have also contracted B.S.
Billboard Syndrome. Ill try to touch on that in a later post, let’s stay on task.
“I was making over 600hp” mmmhhhmmm…..
“I rebuilt the motor and doubled my gas mileage” yesss, go on ….
“I lost 150hp and its only 3mph slower” really, that’s very interesting
Sorry I’m paraphrasing
“Making more hp than me is obviously a waste of time, because I cant go fast no matter what I do”

Don’t worry, its treatable.

I suggest group therapy with Rodknock, I would ask that you wait for him to complete his course before starting yours…
Old 08-26-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately gentlemen, I’m done for the day, I need to go over to the Porsche forums and treat some cases of the severely irritating Stuttgart-virus

The Dr is out…..
Old 08-26-2009, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Yes, but you're English. The accent would make a difference, actually elevating the person in our cast society, even if your doctorate was in the subject of Physical Education.

No malice intended. Just trying to make fun of "hit and run" by DR385.
By george, none taken or intended old chap! jolly spiffing, what what

Dr385: Im working it all out with a pencil........ yes, guilty as charged.
Do you know the way to Santa FE? humm it if you can.....

Last edited by KevinW; 08-26-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Old 08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR 385 View Post
Rodknock,

LOL, Even I couldn’t have chosen a more poetically divine name for a "FE"-TARD. My diagnosis is not hit and run, I will stand by it and the treatment. Please go get your rope.

KevinW,

Pendantic, High function Autistic?.... No just English, but that’s close enough.

Excaliber,

Ah yes, the mythical piece of metal stuck in to a stone..... I’ll just leave that be.
You seem to suffer (not near as much as those around you, but I digress)from one of the MOST SEVERE cases of “FE”-TARDATION I’ve seen. Unfortunately, It appears you also have also contracted B.S.
Billboard Syndrome. Ill try to touch on that in a later post, let’s stay on task.
“I was making over 600hp” mmmhhhmmm…..
“I rebuilt the motor and doubled my gas mileage” yesss, go on ….
“I lost 150hp and its only 3mph slower” really, that’s very interesting
Sorry I’m paraphrasing
“Making more hp than me is obviously a waste of time, because I cant go fast no matter what I do”

Don’t worry, its treatable.

I suggest group therapy with Rodknock, I would ask that you wait for him to complete his course before starting yours…

I'm just wondering what you are trying to prove with this? Just stirring the pot to see what kind of reaction you get? Well that should be obvious. When you attack someone they will defend themselves.

And before you start on me, two things. First is, I have a 385 series in my car, so you cannot attack me for that. Second is that what you are doing is not going to get my goat, so I really do not care.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #570 w Shelby FE
Not Ranked     

Sorry "Dr" we don't have a kiddie corral here for you to play in. (Well the lounge, maybe. But that sandbox is pretty full)

Or was it your intention to Troll around briefly, before getting the boot?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique
Not Ranked     
Default best motor

Chevy LS1 with the aftermarket carb conversion using a ford 302 distributor to deliver the sparks.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
Or was it your intention to Troll around briefly, before getting the boot?
And I'm not giving him my Get Out of Jail Free Card either.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Who was that masked Dr guy?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Who was that masked Dr guy?
Turk, in disguise.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Dr. Kervorkian signing in to kill this thread.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 08-26-2009, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Without a HP target it is simple, a used running engine that you can buy cheap. Most likely a 4 banger would come out on top.

But I think you meant building an engine worthy to go into a Cobra. A 460 is going to be hard to beat. With a little work and few parts it is not hard to get 400+ hp out of a factory engine. A little port work, cam, intake, and carb should get you there. If you start with a decent engine you could get there for about $500, with a little swap meet shopping. With that said, I doubt I would go with a 385 series in a Cobra. They are very big. I have seen them and road in one that blew my mind, but I have to believe it would be difficult to work on.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just hope the DR stays away from the Porsche forums. He might advocate installing a cheaper 4 cylinder into a 911.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No one answer for this.

Power to weight ratio and value I'd have to say the 351W based variants come out on top.

Power, you are going to get more out of a 385 series engine, heavier though

If you want to remain true to the vehicle's heritage, then 260/289 block, or it's stroked cousins.
or the FE.

From a strict fan point of view, I don't care for the look of a cobra with a 385 series or 351W variant. I don't even give them a second glance at car shows.
It's like seeing a classic pontiac GTO with a 502 BBC in it. It might be fast, but who cares?

Personally I like the look of a 289 with webbers or an FE.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good evening Gentlemen,

To clarify my position:
The title of the post does not ask:
"What engine is the oddest looking?"
"What engine is the most archaic?"
"What engine is the most likely to suffer a unexplainable catastrophic failure?"
In no way does it ask:
"What ford engine do YOU feel a Cobra should have?"
To this I would happily sit back and watch the afflicted spew forth the gospel as their clouded brains perceive it.

However, the post simply asks:

"What is the best FORD engine per dollar"

There are many answers to this question, none including FE, SOHC, BOSS.
While great to see, none of these fit the per dollar requirement.
As any potential power level these motors could achieve, could be achieved for LESS MONEY with a Windsor or 385 series BB.

When a newbie asks a serious question he deserves fact, not opinion.
Unfortunately the Cobra owners that are filled with "FE"ces feel it's necessary to interject.

So I will include the counter point to these untruths when I see them.
I will not attack FE threads, for the sake of the fight, there are many I could, but that’s not my intent.

Come on now guys, this is an internet Forum, don’t take it so seriously, just adding a little humor to the counterpoint.

Rodknock & Excalibur (still laughing about that) Please shorten your rope and repeat the treatment....

DR (not turk) 385

Last edited by DR 385; 08-27-2009 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DR 385, shorten what rope and receive what treatment? Me no understand. I'm just a simple guy.

As for the best FORD engine per dollar, your dollar is different than my dollar. In fact, everyone's dollar(s) is/are different. When I was looking in the resale market a couple years back, I wanted only an FE in my 427 Cobra, not a 460 nor a Windsor. If I came across Cobra with a 460, then I would not have parted with my dollar(s) for that Cobra. So the best FORD engine per dollar for me, and me alone, is the FE with all it's quirks, issues, expense, etc.

Remember, the question was not best FORD engine based only on the HP, but best FORD engine per dollar.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427R-095, Pro Systems carb, 2" headers, Buckshot Racefab side pipes, 10s off idle start
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Master Mongoose7 speaks truth.

The experience with my ERA tell's me it's extremely difficult to hook up much over 500 horse, I don't care what it cost you!

I was running the Goodyear Bill boards, a reasonably good traction tire that works well on the street or the track. My soild roller cam high compression side oiler was making over 600 horse, turned 11.90 ET on the drag strip. Was HELL to drive on the street. Rebuilt, reduced compression, smaller cam, smaller carbs, street friendly, run's on pump gas, DOUBLED the mpg. I estimate, actually Gessford Machine's George Anderson estimated, I gave up about a 150 horse power. Back to the track: 11.99 and a loss of about 3 mph trap speed. I was blown away! Unless you plan on running slicks and are seriously into the drag strip there is little point in going beyond 500 horse.

I'll take a Windsor based motor myself for a REASONABLE budget. I think the over all package (weight, size, potential mpg) is superior to a 385 series motor. Having the money, I'd go for a "de-tuned" SOHC 'cause they look so cool, but 700 horse is a waste of time.
What was your trap speed?