Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   What's the History for the Last Shelby American Cobra made? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/96996-whats-history-last-shelby-american-cobra-made.html)

SFcobra65 05-16-2009 03:38 PM

What's the History for the Last Shelby American Cobra made?

Was wondering what history there is out there on the Last Shelby American Cobra made ? What # Is/Was it ?

Frank

mrmustang 05-16-2009 07:37 PM

Is this a trick question?

Bill S.

thudmaster 05-16-2009 07:46 PM

Dang it....did they quit making them right after I placed my order? Good thing I didn't send in the deposit yet.......

Bartruff1 05-16-2009 08:43 PM

" Cobra, the First 40 Years "

According to Legate Page 282 sez...CSX 3360 was shipped on Dec 28, 1966.

Tim Brewer 05-16-2009 10:14 PM

Well, not to offend anyone, but I believe the only true Shelby Cobras were built in the 60's. Everything else is only a recreation of those cars built in the 60's.

Trevor Legate 05-17-2009 03:32 AM

I'm not offended. The truth never offends (well, maybe sometimes :-) Whichever way you care to look at it, 3360 was the last Shelby Cobra.

I may be wrong but I think this topic has been discussed here in the past?

mr bruce 05-17-2009 04:55 AM

Shelby is still making them.

Bill Bess 05-17-2009 05:13 AM

Well......the point being the last original alum. car built in England and modified by Shelby in the sixties.
Seems to me that everything else is a "continuation car" by Shelby or a replica by anyone else. The only thing we're talkin about is perceived value...I'll take an original sixties version please.

Oh well, I can't afford one, Bill

ROUSHAC 05-17-2009 07:04 PM

I'm sure that we are all waiting with bated breath for "you know who" to tell us that they are still making REAL Shelby Cobras and shall continue to do so. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Right, Evan?

LURK 05-17-2009 08:19 PM

boys boys... come on now. We all know you can benchmark your own personal favorite "last one" on any measure you like: real, authentic, genuine, original. Pick one and shaddap already. :)

SFcobra65 05-18-2009 01:28 AM

No , this is not a trick question , and i did not know this subject had already been coverd , as i'm not here everyday.... Just to touch on a couple of points.

Now ,i indeed was looking for the History on the last "Original" 60's era Shelby American Cobra not the Continuations from Shelby /Superformance or any other makers.

Frank

Trevor Legate 05-18-2009 02:01 AM

When I said this has been covered before I was being ironic (sorry, it's the downside of email) as I was expecting the usual boring tirade from one or two folk. The production of AC Cobra and the Shelby Cobra began in 1962; the last Shelby Cobra was CSX 3360 and the last car from the AC factory was built in 1968 despite not using the 'Cobra' trade name, but can be considered part of the production run. All cars from both Shelby and AC since that time (i.e. not made in the 1960s) are later variations on the original theme and you can call them what you will: continuations, recreations, replicas, revivals, regurgitations....

Nedsel 05-19-2009 06:27 PM

You have a way with words, Trevor. But didn't you forget "hallucination?" :D

Trevor Legate 05-20-2009 01:41 AM

Thank you Mr. Ned. I also conveniently 'forgot' a few other words too! I'm still getting the water out of my brain - and camera. However, I do think we should officially adopt the word 'hallucination' as it so aptly covers a multitude of sins.....the 'Shelby Hallucination Cobra' - got a nice ring to it. Pure class....

(You managed to wring your cars out yet or are you cultivating mushrooms on the carpets?)

Nedsel 05-20-2009 08:48 AM

Got everything pretty well dried out, thanks. Next time I'm bringing a snorkel. At least your cameras are small - heck, a few minutes in the microwave should make them good as new!

Trevor Legate 05-20-2009 12:20 PM

Duh - microwave....of course! Silly me! How do you kick-start those things? Got some matches someplace....

erland 05-08-2010 01:07 PM

Last Cobra

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFcobra65 (Post 949780)
Was wondering what history there is out there on the Last Shelby American Cobra made ? What # Is/Was it ?

Frank

I am the first owner of the last AC Cobra made, CSX3360. I purchased it from Grappone Froed in Concord, NH. in 1967 for $6000.00. I owned it until 1977 when I sold it for $10,000.00 and thought it was amazing that I could sell a car for two thirds more than what I paid for it. I don;t remember who I sold it to or where it is now, but hopefully they might see this post and chime in. I put about 6000 miles on it in 10 years mostly at night on the beautiful rolling roads of New England. The highest speed I ever had it to was 170 MPH on a straight section of Interstate 89 north of Concord, NH.

Let me add a few details. It was red, no racing stripe, still had on it the original blue dot tires, and 427 engine with a single four barrell carburator, aluminum body on a steel tubular chassis.

Trevor Legate 05-08-2010 01:28 PM

Hello Mr. Russell and thanks for your post! Good to hear from an owner of such interesting Cobra, being the last of the line. If legend is correct you sold the car to Thomas Gannett, but don't quote me! As the author of too many Cobra books (and who knows how many more?) would you have any photographs of that happy time?

Naturally the thought of going 170 in such a car is, ermmm, impressive. I've experienced 135+ sans seat belts and the air pressure in the cockpit was of some considerable concern....nearly got popped out the back.....

Nedsel 05-08-2010 02:47 PM

I saw 3360 about 2 months ago, at the shop of mike McCluskey in Torrance, CA. I believe it may be for sale, so if you want it back...

strictlypersonl 05-09-2010 08:52 AM

Strictly speaking, whatever "Cobra" SA is selling now is not a car at all. He, like the rest of us, is selling kits to assemblers and individuals. The final cars are the culmination of Shelby parts put together by someone else. Come to think of it, there are (vague) parallels to the original process, where AC supplied the "parts" and Shelby brought them all together.