Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2864 MK III ROUSH 427R
Not Ranked     
Default SPF Check The Front Brake Caliper Mounting Bolts

Last week while city driving from a local car show, I felt and heard a slight shutter in the front wheels. Not sure wich side at the time. As I stopped at a second stop light it really ground and shuutterd. After trailering the car home and removing the passenger side front wheel. I found that the I was missing a caliper plate attachment bolt and the one that was remaining was super loose. The inside of the wheel had a deep gouge all the way around it from the caliper grinding into it. The car only had 850 miles on it #2864 so I thought that was odd.

Applause to my dealer, Dynamic Auto West out of California and Reno because they took care of the parts etc. without a hassle.

I removed the bolts from the other caliper mounting plate, they were tight, but found that thread locker was not used on them. I reinstalled both sides with thread locker.

Some of you with newer cars might want to check the bolts.

Anybody else run into this problem?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Titanium SPF, 521 CID Gessford.
Not Ranked     

Um, I wouldn't be thanking my dealer.

That's an assembly error. They should have secured it from the get go.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a problem with my axle bolts coming out. SPF2693 No thread locker was used. A rear half shaft came loose on the highway. Maybe there's a shortage of thread locker in South Africa?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

STL Mark, I bet that got your attention. Did it do any damage when it cam loose?

cdog, I checked the car over when I got it. By that I mean I put it in the air and checked that all bolts "were painted". I did not check the torque on every bolt and did not pull them to see if thread locker was used. It is my understanding that this component is installed at the factory in South Africa and that the dealer just "checks" that every thing is fastened.

My son just got his SPF about a month ago. After my incident, we put his in the air and removed and reinstalled the front caliber attachment bolts (with thread locker). His did have thread locker on them from the factory.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothing damaged, except the entire shaft assembly. The outer CV joint came off and was whirling around - very lucky. Now, every time I take the the car in for any sort of service (3 or 4 times a year) my tech puts the car on a lift and checks every nut & bolt on the car - every single one. Takes about an hour - but well worth it. NOW - I'm going to tell him to check the caliper brake bolts too!

Last edited by STL Mark; 03-01-2009 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Do you have safety wires on the calipers? Just curious if that is standard or something the previous owner did on mine.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do not trust the paint, I found my 5 out of 6 half shaft bolts loose, the tell tell sign was grease thrown up on the chassis. I checked, the 5 that were loose had no lock tight. You need to check every single bolt regardless of paint or not including the little allen head screws on your sun visors. You also need to grease your ball joints. I could go on but it would just piss me off.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

madmaxx, roger that. There must have been a shortage of grease in South Africa when they assembled mine too. I had to put grease in every fittiing location. A couple of locations had a small amout of grease in them but most were dry. I will check my half shaft bolts this week.

mpanten, no safety wires on my calipers or on my sons. The previous owner must have put them on. Great idea.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

I checked the grease fittings on 2613 within about 1,000 miles. Like Night Enforcer, they had a small amount of grease, but definitely needed to be topped off.

I've checked all of the bolts under the car on a regular basis, and luckily I haven't found anything loose (~5k miles). I normally check all of the bolts, even if they're painted.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 03-02-2009, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some quick fixes for other items. 1) speedometer CABLE leak, not cable not interface between transmission and cable, use some rtv on the crimp where the flexible cable goes into the metal part by the transmission, mine would drip a drop every couple days. 2) lubricate your rear anti sway bar bushings, if not it will sound like the tire is rubbing the fender when you go over dips. 3) take off the remote reservoir for clutch and disassemble top from bottom, put SEAL ALL on bottom and slide top over, tighten clamp. It will leak clutch/brake fluid if you do not.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Had same problem on my BDR. Only had car 2 days, heard something like a rock hit under the car, bout 100ft later
right front wheel locked up. Looked under car and caliper was missing bolt, once i turned right it locked up. Walked down the street and found the bolt. Just cause there painted doesn't mean there tight. I make sure to check them all a couple times a year.
joeg
Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow. My brother had the same issue on his new SPF. The right front caliper came loose on the second day. Luckily, like Night Enforcer, he was going very slow when he noticed the noise and stopped before any damage could be done. Scary. Haven't had that on mine - but then again I've got a FFR and would have no one to blame but me.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

dl95409, can you disclose your brothers SPF number? It would be interesting to see if the screw-ups run in certain numbers. I am trying to put enough info together to get them to issue a Technical Service Bulletin. I know it will be like pulling teeth, but these issues are pretty serious. It seems the installers in South Africa don't like the right.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

BDR made in south africa also hmmmmmmmmmmm
joeg
Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Indigo Superformance MkIII. Ford 460, TKO600
Not Ranked     

SPF2828 here. Same issue here and notified the dealer in Australia. Whole caliper dropped off onto rim and locked the wheel. Luckily I had just pulled into carpark to check the noise. The 11mm bolts used are too short and very little locktite used. Have replaced all. Not good for 330miles.

Last edited by Tonkin NZ; 03-12-2009 at 11:57 PM..
Old 03-13-2009, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

SPF 2734 . rolling chassis is just a way to say they shipped it in one piece, you dont get out of the detail work of checking every nut and bolt.

Steve
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 03-13-2009, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tonkin NZ, did the loose caliper do any other damage besides the wheel, like the brake line? This is kind of scarry. Is your dealer going to take care of a new wheel for you?

Last edited by Night Enforcer; 03-13-2009 at 09:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 03-14-2009, 05:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tonkin NZ,

You have huge problems, I was checking out your build diary, nice job EXCEPT your steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!!!!!!! LOL!!
Old 03-14-2009, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well I think any car buff will tell ya, that after you finish any project, no matter what it is, you must periodically check over your vehicle, no matter who built it for you, or if you built it yourself.Those bolts didnt come lose overnight, if you guys agree chime on in.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Enforcer View Post
dl95409, can you disclose your brothers SPF number? It would be interesting to see if the screw-ups run in certain numbers. I am trying to put enough info together to get them to issue a Technical Service Bulletin. I know it will be like pulling teeth, but these issues are pretty serious. It seems the installers in South Africa don't like the right.
I'll try and get him to comment on the forum or get in touch with you directly.