Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison
Not Ranked     
Default Stainless headers

I am in the process of having a new set of headers made for my cobra which will be stainless. I am told that stainless headers need to be coated for cosmetics only and that it will not make a difference as far as heat is concerned. Is this true?
Old 09-07-2009, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

I don't know anyone that's coated SS headers, most have them polished....
Old 09-07-2009, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Not Ranked     

Rick, Remind me to tell you my SS story when I see you in Rehoboth....
Old 09-07-2009, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack,
If your past experience tells me that I am doing something wrong,tell me now. By the way its good to hear from you after your hair raising experience. Rick
Old 09-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Rick,

I'm on my second set of SS headers.

The original ones supplied by E-M warped after around 15,000 miles. E-M finished them off by warping them even more when they were trying to repair them without a fixture. But I digress....

I had another set made that I installed after doing significant fitting-up mods - the bolt holes didn't line up, the bolts wouldn't go through the bolt holes etc but after about 8 hours labor, they seemed to fit and perform OK. They're still there about 10,000 miles later including significant road race track time.

Some things you might pay attention to when building up a new set:

1) Make sure the flanges are nice and thick. 3/8" seems to be a good minimum, thicker if there's room.

2) Stainless type can be important. My present headers are 321 SS, where the prior set was 304. I'm told factory SS headers are 321.

3) I've not coated mine, nor have I ever seen a coated set. I don't know why a coating would be used on SS, nor whether it would in fact adhere very well.

Is the outfit you're using skilled in the art of SS header manufacture, or is this new to them?

Tom
Old 09-07-2009, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have shipped my old headers to Tom at E-M. Their welder(whoever that is) is currently duplicating the old headers with some slight changes for the better, I hope. They are supposed to be finished this week. Tom tells me it is not necessary to coat the new ones.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick, You're not doing anything wrong. Just my experience this spring when I wanted some SS headers and sidepipes made. Only thing I would have suggested is to find someone closer to make them, so they could do it on the car. Should have only taken about a day a side.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jack, I was told 20hrs to make the headers and that I would have them back in 2 weeks after they were started. 20 hrs to me is half of one work week. I checked with two other header manufacturers and they said $3000-4000 for the set. One in PA. that wanted the car and on in Iowa which wanted the old pipes. I hope I am ready for the Fun Run. The car goes to the paint shop in Nov.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A local custom car fab shop did mine this spring. I ordered the flanges and pipe from stahl in pa and the shop did the rest.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, BOSS 351C/Webers
Not Ranked     

I had my SS headers coated (by Airborn - Jet-hot refused to coat in white) and then I wrapped them, too. I then saturated the wrapping with high-temp exhaust paint. All seems to be holding up well after more than ten years on the road.

Jeff
Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

A big advantage to ceramic coating SS headers is the drastic reduction in surface temperature and radiated heat.

Rodger
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So it looks like the opinion is that SS headers should be coated because it will make a difference in the amount of heat that is radiated from them.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2592, Shelby alum. 527
Not Ranked     

Here is some info from Jet-Hot (I have their Extreme Sterling coating).

http://www.jet-hot.com/techinfo.html

The surface temperature on my coated steel headers seems to be noticeably less than on other cars with painted headers. No fancy measurement, just holding my hand close. (I guess I could buy or borrow an IR thermometer.) I understand from conversations on this and other forums that SS will hold heat even longer than steel.

Jet-Hot sand(?)blasts the headers prior to coating to maximize adhesion. I would think the coating would adhere to SS as well as to steel, but that would be a good question to ask the coater you choose.

Rodger
Old 09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wraping does more to keep heat inside the header and out of the engine compartment than anything...but then you're opening the tuning issue can of worms, because the exhaust gas keeps its velocity longer, then engine runs leaner, and you will have to rejet the carb....that has been my experience.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Backdraft Racing comes with stainless steel headers and side pipes, and if you want them ceramic coated it is an option at $300 to coat the headers and $550 for the side pipes.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have seen the Jet Hot info before and have had work done by them on the pipes. I wasn't thrilled with the look of one of the pipes when I got the pipes back and considered returning them but didn't. Some say the heat reduction that they claim is not that great if at all. If I put them on without coating them, they can always be removed at a later date but I dont want to do this after the November paint job. Decisions, Decisions
Old 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have the jet hot info and they did work on my side pipes last year. Some have told me the heat reduction that they claim is very little if at all. I can always take them off and have them coated if I notice an increase in heat but with a November paint job coming up I would rather have this resolved before that.