Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2385K - 418W
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb Snapless Tonneau Cover

Many of you may have heard of Phillip & Kay, from S. Carolina whose original concept this belongs to.

We ordered a pattern from Phillip & Kay about a month ago...but we had something more specific in mind that we wanted.

The wonderful cover that they offer is only available in black, so here is what we did with their pattern.

In cooperation with Phillip & Kay, we can directly help fellow owners that would prefer a cover in color or color w/ stripes.

Although the patterns are predominantly for FFR's they can be modified to work on nearly any brand of roadster.

Contact us at: "pigfarm70@gmail.com"

Pig
ront49 likes this.

"Platinum-Level III - Master Automotive Ignoramus"

Last edited by Pigfarm70; 01-03-2019 at 08:29 AM..
Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebuilt, .060 over 428 FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     

So how does it hold down? Is it just the bungee cords?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are four fiberglass rods that are sewn into the fabric that give it "strength". The rods span the cockpit from the front dash to the back edge.

The rods prevent droop and puddling of water on the cover. The sides are held down with bungees to the sidepipe hangar bracket....this really just keeps the sides from lifting in the wind.

Mine has seen rain several times and it does an excellent job of keeping the cockpit dry. It is nice to use on really sunny days also as it keeps the seats (and belts) much cooler and you dont fry when you get back in.

When done the whole thing lifts off and rolls up into a roll that is easily stored in the trunk.

Pig
ront49 likes this.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 692, Ford 351W
Not Ranked     

Can you provide picture of the cover?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

???? ????

Cover shown below in original post.

Pig

Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Factory Five MKIII Cobra
Not Ranked     

Hey Pig. Good to see you over here on "other" site.

As a testiment, I've seen this cover in person and it's a pretty sweet set up. A lot quicker than the snap down covers.

-Greg
Old 09-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Snapless Tonneau Cover

So, how can i get in touch with Phillip & Kay, from S. Carolina?

I want a solid black one.

Thanks

The older I get, the faster I was........

So now I'm so fast apparently I appear to be standing still.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Snake Oil,

PM sent with contact info.

Pig

Greg, good to see you here as well ! Thanks for the kind words....now we need to fit your EM for one of these

Old 09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default Snapless cover

Thank you very much!

iIwill email them ASAP!

The older I get, the faster I was........

So now I'm so fast apparently I appear to be standing still.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It would seem logical to post the contact information for Phillip and Kay as well. Let the individuals decide if they want color or black.

Then again, maybe they don't want a lot of attention, so, in that respect I can understand it. I did a search on FFR under Mariah and found their email address.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-11-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Old 09-11-2009, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

These covers are excellent HOWEVER, they cannot be fastened securely UNTIL the side pipes have cooled down as the bungee cords attach to the body right next to the side pipe. Or, you can wrap them around the side pipe once cooled and avoid scratching the body. And, you cannot drive the car with only one side uncovered like the SPF covers.

Other than that, worth the $$$.
henrik likes this.

Last edited by jhv48; 09-11-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Old 09-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

They have their place! I recall being at a car show when it started to rain, didn't have my tonneau with me. To clumsy and ackward to set up anyway. THIS looks really easy, rolls up nicely, cache in the trunk and great for quick trips or a sudden rain when your parked!

I would find an alternative to hooking to the sidepipes for the heat problem. Maybe rig up some hooks to fix it to.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excaliber really hit it on the head with the purpose of this cover. This cover is NOT trailerable or driveable in any way. It's greatest value is to those that do not have lift-a-dot type covers and prefer not to have them.

It is indeed very quick and convenient, it goes on/off in seconds, keeps lookey-loos out of the cockpit, protects from sun and rain and is easily stored in the trunk.

My wife and I live in N. GA and Summer Thunderstorms pop-up all the time. Most days of the summer the weather will state "20% Chance of Showers"...so you never know when you may get caught. With no top and no lift-a-dot we hated not being able to take the car out if it looked like it might rain. This cover has given us a lot more freedom to go out in the car and not have to worry about it.

I love mine and wouldn't give it up !!

The issue of connecting the bungees to hot pipes really has a lot to do with the amount of clearance between the body panel and the sidepipe. I have about 1.5-2 inches of clearance at the hanger bracket and have no problem clipping my bungees immediately after parking while pipes are still wickedly hot....I am just careful not to burn myself. My wife fastens her side also and honestly we never have thought of this once as a problem...simply a caution,not really any different than when climbing in/out with hot pipes...just have to be aware and careful.

Neither Phillip & Kaye or myself are "vendors" and as such we respect the forums and keep a low-profile. This is simply something useful we can offer to fellow owners that we enjoy fabricating. This is not a profitable venture for any of us...the materials are not cheap and most covers will have approx 5-10 hours of labor into them when completed. If you would like a Black cover (with or w/o) highback seats contact Phil & Kay. You can reach them on ffcobra under "MARIAH" or you may PM me for their email address. For color covers or color with stripes (high back or low-back seats) contact me.

Pig

Last edited by Pigfarm70; 09-13-2009 at 07:30 AM..
Old 07-01-2010, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I just got my snapless tonneau cover from Phil and Kay and thought I would share. I ultimately decided I didn't want to install the original snap type tonneau cover for 4 reasons and this was the best alternative:
  1. I like the clean look of not having the snaps
  2. I read mixed reviews about driving with it unzipped and the passenger side covered (some said it worked, others said it flapped and beat-up their paint. This was the main value in the original set-up in my opinion.
  3. It takes much longer to attached/unattach the snap style and I figured I'd find it a PITA over time and wouldn't use it much. This took me about 30 seconds the first time I put it on.
  4. Doesn't hurt that this is 75% cheaper than a snap style....

Here are some pics:

EDIT: I saw earlier in this thread it was suggested that some post Phillip and Kay Deal's contact info. Here it is wpdeal @ gmail.com. The space in the address is to help with spammers.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)

Last edited by dcdoug; 07-02-2010 at 01:15 PM..
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you're sidepipes are too hot to hook up to, just bungee to the door handle of the car parked next to you.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

What do you have for 289 cars?
Old 07-02-2010, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hey PDUB,

I am sure making a cover for a 289 car would not be a problem.

My wife & I (PiggyBack Covers) make covers in colors with/without matching stripes. Here are pics of a few we have made. http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/m...Back%20Covers/.

If you prefer a Black cover, these can be purchased from Phillip & Kay Deal. You can reach them at "wpdeal@gmail.com".

Let us know if you have further interest !

Have a great weekend.

Pig
PiggyBack Covers
678-971-9470

PS - dcdoug...looking GOOD !
Old 07-02-2010, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 302 Carb
Not Ranked     

Thanks Doug. Great photos.
By Golly, it does make for a neat looking car.
Love the tennis ball.......

And 289s would be essentially the same but would require a pattern to verify location of the mirror, S/W, roll bar etc.

Phillip
FFR #3175, Wimbledon White with Guardsman Blue Stripes, 302, Holley, Cobra Earl's Trunk & Footbox mods, Whitby Pulleys, Custom Luggage Rack, Snapless Tonneau Cover
Old 07-02-2010, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariah View Post
Thanks Doug. Great photos.
By Golly, it does make for a neat looking car.
Love the tennis ball.......

And 289s would be essentially the same but would require a pattern to verify location of the mirror, S/W, roll bar etc.

Phillip
Thanks-you and Kay did a great job!

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 07-03-2010, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     

Ok, great.

Most definitely black, but I need to decide about the snap-down vs. no snaps first... I'll let you know if I decide to go this way.

Thanks!