23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I come here regularly and read the threads whose titles interest me. I'm looking for information that may come in handy some day, and for people I can help. But most of the time, I either don't have the expertise people need or someone else has already dispensed what little knowledge and wisdom I hold. So my posts tend to be few and far between.

I will add this observation about Internet forums in general. There are people who seem to need to talk down to others whenever they have the chance. Perhaps their egos are so huge that they need to feed them regularly at the expense of others. This is particularly obnoxious when the person is a moderator. The problem with these people is that sooner or later they will talk down to some of the good guys whose opinions most of us have learned to value. When the good guys begin to feel their contributions are not appreciated, many of them leave and that is bad for all of us.

I suspect the mix of people posting here has changed for a variety of reasons, many of which are beyond our control. But I believe we can each contribute to making the forum better in two ways. First, disagree without being disagreeable. Second, thank those people who go out of their way to provide meaningful answers to your questions. A little appreciation will go a long way toward keeping the good guys coming back.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 09-24-2009 at 09:24 AM..
Old 09-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

This statement won't be popular with some, but I'll say it anyway:

I have seen a lot of threads/posts on CC that would have been locked or deleted by admins on other similar forums for their negative connotations and/or content.

You don't see a lot of that here, and maybe that is applauded by some (i.e. freedom of speech). But the lack of controlled censor, in my humble opinion, can turn more people off than attract. Newbies read the bickering and think, "What a bunch of losers...I will go ask somewhere else."

Again, thicker skins prevail (and I can hang with anyone here). But the administration of the overall banter is not neutral and that lends to turning off some.

-Dean
Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Dean, I'll have to disagree. Without at least some banter, good natured ribbing and such, typical of gearheads and bench racing, then the site would be plain boring.

I think Jamo and Ron do an excellent job, They recently let a little banter go, and then when it got to be too much, Ron stepped in with a "Come on guys."

I won't mention any names, but there was one person recently who was really annoying, but for the most part, there are plenty of sites where the banter is far far worse.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Plenty of the older members are still lurking around and posting far less than they used to. At times it is as if the same questions get asked over and over again.

What cobra should I buy?
Which is better, big block or small block?
What color should I paint my car?

etc and so forth.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-24-2009, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Can I chip in, as a relative newcomer, ....... and a goddam foreigner? ::-):

We have had similar experiences on the UK cobraclub site, we still get the 'which car is best' stuff, and now we all rub along reasonably well. The argments over who's car is best were fought and lost (by everyone) years ago, and now we have a collective 'look, I got this car, and i'll tell you its great coz I bought/built it' and then 'if you want to know which is best for you, get along to a local meet and talk to some owners and take a ride in some'. We pi$$-take each other and their cars when we know these people. There is a common concensus I think on the price banding or typical costs of each car, but no agreemnt on which is best. we agree to diagree I guess.

Lots of UK guys buy ready built because, particularly since the toxic assets scandal, its cheaper to buy than build. I probably lost around 10-20% selling my last car this year compared to 2007.

I like coming here because this is the only place I can get anyone to answer my pedantic authenticity questions. And thanks to those who have - its a great resource, to which i have yet to significantly contribute.

I dont really get the Guns thing, but I gues thats a transatlantic divide. To each their own.

When I first started looking around here during the election, I didnt care for the oft-ignorant / sometimes racist tones of some of the posts. I was pleased to see moderators pitch in, so i stuck around.

I made the mistake early on of adding a post or 2 on the health reforms, as some uninformed comments were posted on UK health care, which I know quite a lot about. I got flamed, unreasonably, imho, so i'll not bother there anymore.

well thats my experience from across the water, for what its worth.

Last edited by KevinW; 09-24-2009 at 11:03 AM..
Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 930, 427 Windsor T56
Not Ranked     

I've been around for a good while. I really haven't seen that much change.
A few tips to make your experience here better.

1. Add certain people to your "ignore" list. You know thier posts are useless and only take up band width. You know you get irratated every time you read one of them. I have a couple of people added to my list. It's like they don't even exist anymore.
2. Skip over the thread that you already know is going down hill. No need to get aggrevated over the new posts too.

Have Fun!

BDR #930
08 Corvette Coupe
92 Sunburst Yellow Miata
#81 Saturn V Miata Crapcan racer
Panoz GTRA #42
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilly
I'm 100% with Dwight on this one. Although, I do tire of the completely non-car, non-humorous stuff (e.g., politics, guns, tea parties) that pops up from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
I have fewer questions than I've had in the past about Cobras so that might be why I'm not posting as much as in the past. However, I've got to say: the dominantly expressed politics on this site have turned me off. The overall tone of national politics has taken on an unprecedented nasty tone. I don't want to come hear and be subjected to more acrimony.
In Agreement
Old 09-24-2009, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorac View Post
I've been around for a good while. I really haven't seen that much change.
A few tips to make your experience here better.

1. Add certain people to your "ignore" list. You know thier posts are useless and only take up band width. You know you get irratated every time you read one of them. I have a couple of people added to my list. It's like they don't even exist anymore.
2. Skip over the thread that you already know is going down hill. No need to get aggrevated over the new posts too.
The Ignore feature is cool. I just tried it and am very impressed. I did not know it was available. Thanks Gatorac
Old 09-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     
Default You've Got it All Wrong...

The beauty of this particular forum is that the knowledge of the individual members is so diverse -- and I'm not talking about Cobra stuff. I've been doing this since the days when you had to dial in to BBS boards & BITNET, and on sites where the only common language was assembly language for reverse engineering. There is no shortage of brains on the different forums that are out there, but there is a shortage of forums where the members all bring to the table a tremendously varied skill set that is above and beyond the specifc topic area of the forum itself. Granted, this is a Cobra site, but if you should happen to post a question dealing with valence electrons, setting a breakpoint in SoftICE, a CryoMaze procedure, or a Motion to Crave Oyer, you're going to get an answer. Usually, the right one, too. I don't find that in any of my other forums, and I've been on a lot of them... a whole lot of them. That kind of knowledge just inherently ends up spilling over and "adding spice." It's great, too.

BTW, the moderators generally do a pretty good job letting the forum police itself. The only times I think they've been out of line is when they've ragged on my sorry a$$.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta View Post
This statement won't be popular with some, but I'll say it anyway:

I have seen a lot of threads/posts on CC that would have been locked or deleted by admins on other similar forums for their negative connotations and/or content.

Newbies read the bickering and think, "What a bunch of losers...I will go ask somewhere else."

-Dean
I have talked to newbie’s and potential cobra owners many times face to face about the content of ClubCobra and get mostly positive feedback. But some new cobra aficionados are afraid to post because of the hostility towards their questions or comments. What bothers me are the several one liners that have nothing to do with the original threads. (Maybe the competition of who has the most posts.) The moderators need to watch the responses to new member posts from those who are too uptight for this forum. I think that this forum needs to mellow out and get back to enjoying the hobby that brought everyone together in the first place. Peace, Darren
Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I made the mistake early on of adding a post or 2 on the health reforms, as some uninformed comments were posted on UK health care, which I know quite a lot about. I got flamed, unreasonably, imho, so i'll not bother there anymore.
The US Health Care debates must be a great source of amusement for those of you outside the US. Sorry to hear you got flamed over your comments. Yes, there is a great deal of misinformation floating around and for some reason this is an extremely emotional issue for some people.

Please accept an apology from the rest of us.

Dd

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-24-2009, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

These places aren't for the thin skinned. I try to be respectful, as everyone should. I think the Lounge is for things like politics. If you don't like the topic no one is holding a gun to your head telling you to read it.
I have come & gone on this forum but I always like coming back. The new guys are always about the Same & the older members are predictably unpredictable. For the most part it's about a narrow group of cars & the site is info rich. I like that
Old 09-24-2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The knowledge level around here is impressive, when I need an answer or suggestion, I come here. Might be a search, but the search function isn't all that great, or my questions have become more complex over the years, perhaps. Sometimes it's just easier to ask the question with a new thread, you might get an answer, you might get a link to a thread that covers the subject, either way, it works for me.

I've been around Cobras for a long while, I enjoy sharing what I can to help the Club. It's nice to get insight from others as well. CC, still working for me!

The "hard core" Cobra enthusiasts do seem to be shrinking in numbers. I've leaned to accept it, life goes on, people try new things. Maybe it works for them, maybe not. Myself, I've gained a new appreciation for why I own my car along the way. Not so much "hard core" as I was these days, just content with what I have. I might park it for weeks at a time and not even think about it. Then go for a drive and I'm like, "YEAH, thats what I'm talking about. I love this ride."

Rodknock says,
Quote:
"Whilst" I still read and post on other forums, I like it here best.
I resemble that remark, on a couple of levels.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Rodknock says,

Quote:
"Whilst" I still read and post on other forums, I like it here best.

I resemble that remark, on a couple of levels.
Only a capon would use the word "whilst."
Old 09-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Had to look that one up:

A capon is a castrated male chicken.

"Whilst" remains one of my favorite words, now forever linked to a nudered chicken, thanks a bunch!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

I think enthusiasm for Cobras might be evaporating right along with the economy. Seen a lot of sad posts here about selling for economic reasons.

If I HAD to sell mine to make the house payment/feed the family, I certainly wouldn't want to come here and torture myself talking about the prize I had to sell...

I think some of the perceived falloff is guys that had to sell and have moved on.

DD

*13*: Good to see YOU back. Where've YOU been? BTW, sure nobody is holding a gun to your head to read the diatribe. If you're not posting conservative right, you get jumped on by jackals. What a turn-off. Can't people disagree politely? (Hhmmm, well, with recent events in Congress, I guess not...)

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 09-24-2009, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

I guess I haven't been around the forum as long as some, but I just look past the posts that get off target. I have always been helped with any question that I have posted and could not have built mine without the knowledge on this site.

I'm a car guy and love to be around others that are also, expecially cobra people. I have seen the "bad apples" in all types of car people along with other groups. I guess my greatest complaint is at certain car shows and events, when some make the statements such as "it's another kit car".

Let me tell you, when I drive it, I wouldn't care if it came in a cracker jack box, I love every minute of it. After a stressful day, I can come home and "do a cobra run" and come home grinning ear to ear! I built mine thinking I would drive it a while and then sell it, but I may not ever sell it (unless I build another and have it ready before the sale!)

I have had and restored a number of cars, but this one is different than all of the others and I believe that the people that drive them are different also. Just look at the important information that is available on this site, I would have never known what "capon" meant if not for this forum!

Thanks to everyone on this site for being Cobra people!
Old 09-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Only a capon would use the word "whilst."
Huh. Here I thought a capon was something I eat with my tuna salad or smoked salmon and bagel. Well, I'll be a....capon.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I like it here , I think i'll stay for a while and if i read something here i dont like then i'll pass over it and enjoy the things i do like ............it's like T.V. if you don't like it change the channel...........
Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2321
Not Ranked     

"Where have our members gone?"

Speaking of Peter, Paul & Mary songs, did you hear Mary Travers died last week? ....oh 'members', never mind.