Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Ford Racing Engine: FR9

Source: FordRacing.com

FR’S HERVEY REVISITS FR9 ENGINE
10/15/2009
Dearborn, Mich. — In January, Ford Racing and Roush Yates Engines announced Ford’s next generation NASCAR engine with an unveiling of the FR9. The highly anticipated new power plant has been the subject of much speculation throughout the 2009 season. Ford Racing’s Doug Hervey sat down with Fast News From Ford Racing to give an update regarding the progress of the engine and when we will see the FR9 on track.

WHY IS THERE A DELAY?
“We have the ability to use the current engine because it’s so good, but the delay is more of a case that we want to make sure we get it right and refined to the level that we’re happy with.

"Right now, we’re not quite where we want to be, so we have the luxury of carrying on with our current engine, which is outstanding. We’re not going to bring the FR9 to the race track with any doubts in our minds.

"Obviously when you come out with an all-new engine there is a development process. Through the initial development we were running very well and we continue to run well, however, there are minor things we’re seeing that we need to address and we’ve got teams working on those issues.”

WHAT’S THE PLAN AS FAR AS GETTING IT ON THE TRACK?
“Our plate version of the motor is very strong and we’re still on track to debut that at Talladega. Right now, we’re looking at the 6 and 17 as candidates for that race. It could be in just one, or it could be in both, but that’s a decision we’ll make in a few days.”

WHAT ABOUT THE NON-RESTRICTOR VERSION?
“It’s possible we could see it this year at Texas or Homestead, but, at this point, I would use the term ‘guarded optimism’ as far as that goes. We want to make sure that we’ve refined it to the point where everyone is happy. If we’re not 100 percent happy, then there’s no rush and you’ll see it next year.”
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Source: FordRacing.com

" FR9, KENSETH, RAGAN STEP TO NEW START
10/27/2009 THIS WEEK IN FORD RACING "

" Talladega, Ala. — Matt Kenseth and David Ragan will be the first two drivers to have the new Ford FR9 engine under race conditions when they hit the track this weekend at Talladega Superspeedway. Both drivers recently provided their thoughts regarding debuting Ford’s first purpose-built NASCAR racing engine.

MATT KENSETH – NO. 17 DEWALT FORD FUSION
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON RUNNING THE FR9 THIS WEEKEND?
“I’m looking forward to running it, but whenever you’re one of the first guys to run something new to come out there’s always that risk of not finishing or something happening to it, but yet it’s something we need to get in the cars if we’re planning on implementing it for next year. We need to run it this year, so if there are any problems, we can get them worked out during the off-season.

"They said the new plate engine is running better than our old plate stuff, so I wanted to run it at Talladega for sure. The open stuff, I know, they’re still working on a little bit. I don’t know if we’re gonna get a chance to run that or not, but I know the restrictor-plate stuff they’ve been real happy and excited about running, so I’m looking forward to trying that.”

DAVID RAGAN – NO. 6 UPS FORD FUSION
ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT BEING THE FIREST ONE TO RUN THIS ENGINE IN A RACE?
“They’ve got dynos and computer technology that they can simulate a race at the engine shop and never even see the race track, so I’m not concerned at all about the performance or the engine life that the FR9 will have. I think we’re in a lucky situation just to be able to run the new engine.
"I’m sure there are gonna be some small bugs to work out, but we look forward to getting in and getting going. I think it’s gonna be a fun weekend. Our cars are always fast there and if we get to where we have just a little bit more speed, we’re gonna be a car that can certainly win. I think that the Roush Yates guys and Ford have done a good job in getting this engine to go. That’s why we’ve been so late in getting the car ready, and just because they want to make sure everything is ready to go, so it’s gonna be a fun weekend.”

ARE YOU EXPECTING A LOT MORE HORSEPOWER WITH THIS NEW ENGINE?
“The horsepower is not a big difference. The horsepower of our current engine is very strong. It’s certainly not the engine that’s been beating us every week. I think we still have to work on getting through the corners, but I think this motor is gonna be easier to work on. I think some of the parts are better, some of the cooling system is better, some of the internal things that I frankly don’t know much about will separate this engine from the others. So, I don’t expect to see when we step on the throttle all kinds of new horsepower. I think it’s better, but the horsepower we have now is pretty good.” "
Old 04-29-2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

UPDATE 4-28:

" Much has been written about the improved Ford Racing performance in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and some of the credit goes to the FR9 engine, which debuted on a full-time basis last June. Equally impressive in 2011 is the way the new NASCAR Nationwide Series version of the FR9 has run. "

Ford Racing News| Insider & Racing Series News | FordRacing.com