Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     
Default Talledega 2009

This was about the dumbest race I think I have ever seen.

The first 95% of the race was run at half throttle with the drivers too terrified to break NASCAR's new rule (which was given out this morning just before the race) about not bump drafting in the corners so they just cruised around, bored.

Then with about 10 laps to go the race started and the results were predictable. A crash fest.

They should shorten the race to 15 laps and just let the drivers have at it.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

They have been told not to bump draft in the corners before. That is nothing new. But they were told today that if they do not see daylight between the cars in the corners then they were going to give them a pass through on pit lane basically taking away any chance of a win. So they ran kind of like 160 parade laps.
I think it was Tony during the race asking his guys to talk to him because he was so bored. I think they need to take away the wings, front air dams and make them run 400HP max engines and see what they could do on the tracks that they use restrictor plates on.
Glad Ryan and Mark are ok though. But I think that you are correct. 15 laps and run what you brought.

Terry
Old 11-01-2009, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

The last wreck pretty much takes Mark Martin out of it. Glad a fellow Missourian won though
Old 11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

i agree drop them to 400hp and let them have at it............
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MIII, Roush 427
Not Ranked     

The current cup motors with restrictors make 400-450hp (depending on what claims you read), so dropping the HP to 400 max won't result in any real change. Taking the wings off might help, but I'd limit the tire size and add power...make the guys work and help reduce the dependance of bump drafting to make a pass. Anytime you limit power, the drivers have to make up the difference by pushing eachother, add the power back and people can pass. Now with smaller tires, it also becomes a balance act of how much can you put down before you either spin or melt the rears.

How 'bout open up the in field and just add two or three turns, just enough to cause some passing under braking, put some effort into driving and planning each lap. I'm not for creating a complete road course, but a simple "S" curve on these 2+ mile tracks to get the drivers back involved. Because this last race was a joke.

Last edited by SPF2245; 11-02-2009 at 04:07 AM..
Old 11-02-2009, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

I love NASCAR, but hate this race..or all the restrictor plate races. I watched the start, took a 3 hour nap, watched the last 50 laps, and I was still bored to death.
They need to open the race up, more pwer, delete the double yellow line, let them bump and limit the race to 100 laps. The NASCAR officials are ruining this sport..too many rules.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I hate what NASCAR has done to this sport. No incentive to the manufacturers to design a car that can compete. In my opinion NASCAR has ruined the idea behind the series. Hendrick motor sports has NASCAR by the balls and they dictate the rules more so than anything else. I still watch ocassionally but I long for the days of chrome bumpers and letting the drivers be drivers and the manufacturers build something that the other manufacturers don't have. To many fricken rules and cookie cutter templates.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

400hp without a restrictor plate would at least have some throttle responce and shorten the race to 250 miles or 300 miles would help keep the nap time down(sory bill)to a minimum.It would be nice to see NASCAR make some major changes in there sport but it's not the same sport it was 30 years ago when they ran STOCK cars with big motors and skinny tires, the cars were fast as heck and they lost a few good drivers in major accidents.....the cars are faster and safer but the raceing has suffered because of it.Jimmy will win #4 NASCAR has made sure of it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
They have also lost some good drivers in the past several years. Nothing is ever going to make racing or any kind of driving safe enough that you can't get badly hurt or killed in it. This was the most boring race I have ever watched part of. I like the safety features but go back to making them get cars from the manufacturers and then adding safety equipment and tuning the engines that came in the cars. There are plenty of high performance engines in todays cars, Corvette, Viper, Mustangs, and etc., that they could have good racing. To me good racing isn't all about high high of a speed you can reach. That is why I watch the Rolex and ALS when it is on. I was happy that Newman wasn't hurt worse but I bet NASCAR will penalize him for his remarks about anyone that thought this racing any more was exciting should go home as NASCAR tells them what cars they can have and now how to drive them. I also liked Tony Stewarts crew chief's answer that some people had set up a No Doze stand and was selling it to the fans.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

get rid of the plates and let them run like they did in the 70's the cars are a lot safer today.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Redd -

You are right, the cars ARE a lot safer, but if they did what you suggest we would be losing spectators by the hundreds...

Rusty Wallace ran Talledega a few years ago in a private practice session without any restrictors and he ran laps right around 225 out of the box....he claimed he could easily get over 230 with some tweaking.

Can you imagine how high in the stands one or more of these cars would get if they took off like we have seen some of them do lately?

I agree, smaller tires, also smaller engines 300 cubes with no plates, no wings, better crowd safety.

Maybe make the drivers race with just lap belts - that will separate the men from the boys! Kidding.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Pat... What happened to Subaru in WRC racing??

I was watching the WRC coverage this weekend and it seems it's just Ford and Citroen.
What happened to the Sube's and Mitsubishi?
Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They probably both pulled out because of the economy?

Just a guess.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I only watched from time to time after Ford switched from the T Bird to the fugly Taurus.Once the toyotas were allowed to run....I stopped watching completely
Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Average Guy
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: red Shell Valley, white stripes
Not Ranked     

I hope NASBORE listens to the post race interviews with an open mind rather than a tendency to fine the drivers. That was the most pathetic excuse for an automobile race ever. In a few more years, they'll be able to get by with about 1/4 of the grandstands-just enough to seat the Dale Jr. fans who are sure he's about to make a comeback.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Almost as bad as most Formula 1 races.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

With all the bad press and negative comments from fans and drivers, would seem that NASCAR has to be well aware of the situation. But, what is the remedy that will satisfy everyone, while maintaining the 1st and highest priority of fan and driver safety, and at the same time not introducing new additional costs to the Teams ?

Can you imagine the Congressional hearings if a race car went into the stands.

A number of possibilities have been mentioned. Another one is to reconfigure the track without the high banking and possibly shorten the straights.

Maybe there are other options on substantially reducing the HP along with tires, spoilers etc, such as the 2 barrel carb used in the regional tracks, cam profiles, compression etc. and use the same configuration at Daytona, i.e. each make has their own spec engine. But, adds cost to the Teams, which at this time many of the Teams cannot afford.

The best driver comment I heard in the past regarding a track was when Kyle Petty was asked what he thought of Bristol ( think I have the right track, 1/2 mile high bank ? ). " Flood it and make it into a fish pond.

Looks like the technology has exceeded the design specs of the track
Old 12-14-2009, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

My favorite type of racing is the sports car races where different classes of cars are running at different speeds on the same track. With that in mind, I'd like to see NASCAR run the big boys and trucks on Talladega at the same time. Perhaps that would stop it from looking like a giant high speed traffic jam. BTW, I have a hard time calling any event where you never change the foot pressure on the brake or throttle racing.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: currently Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Talladega along with Daytona are the only 2 races I watch. Those in car shots are just insane, the best roundandround racing there is.
When I get a chance, I want to go to Dega in person to see a race.