1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     
Default OPEN TRACK: New Jersey

Hello, I'm thinking about going to the open track at New Jersey Motorsports Park, Thunderbolt Track. June 12 - 13 Any other CC members interested in this date? More info at www.trackdaze.com
later, karl

Last edited by KarlCSX2498; 12-23-2009 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: add web address
Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCSX2498 View Post
Hello, I'm thinking about going to the open track at New Jersey Motorsports Park, Thunderbolt Track. June 12 - 13 Any other CC members interested in this date? More info at www.trackdaze.com
later, karl
Karl,

I'm game.......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 12-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX2498 has been in our family garage since '68....Scratch built aluminum bodied 427SC Cobra, 427FE, CSX3000 chassis specs, 95% finished, only needs paint.
Not Ranked     

OK Bill, I will keep you updated on my progress. I'm not gonna register until the body is finished, I do not care about paint. I will call you after the holidays, the body should be welded together and permanently installed by then. Saturday open track only, no sunday.
later, karl
Old 12-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Once I solve my oiling problem, I'd like to run some hot laps to see what this dinosaur will do. Just a few questions:
Is a single roll bar acceptable for a Cobra?
What kind of tires are required?
Being a former Nascar (and other) licensed driver, would I still be required to register as a novice?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go to the web site www.trackdaze.com and they have many of faqs answered. If needed send them an email with your specific question. They answered my questions the same day.
I know the single roll bar is OK, that was my first question.
I'm not sure on tires, I have street tires & slicks.
good luck, karl
Old 12-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello, The Track Daze rep sent me an email: They will not allow a single roll bar cobra in the novice class because the instructor must have a roll bar. Only intermediate & advanced drivers can participate in the single roll bar car.

The MVP track rep offered to allow the single roll bar cobra in the novice class, with the instructor leading or following in a seperate car. Looks like we will need to check the MVP dates & locations.

We have 4 cobra & 1 Boss 302 drivers interested so far.

more later, karl

Last edited by KarlCSX2498; 12-28-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: speling
Old 12-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello, I have not had a reply from the MVP open track guys yet. But the PDA open track director did reply and says that the single roll bar cars are welcome. They have the instructor do a follow & lead with the new driver then the new driver can ride along with the instructor for further help.
I will check the PDA schedule and list some options for track time.
later, karl
Old 12-30-2009, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

I am interested... Never tracked my car before, but I would like to see what she can do. Or should I say "what I can do"? Where is the track? I am in New York near the Suffern/Ramsey area of NJ where 87 meets 287.

I will follow the thread to see if the novices will be able to participate. Too bad the instructor cant be in the car.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBattaglia View Post
I am interested... Never tracked my car before, but I would like to see what she can do. Or should I say "what I can do"? Where is the track? I am in New York near the Suffern/Ramsey area of NJ where 87 meets 287.

I will follow the thread to see if the novices will be able to participate. Too bad the instructor cant be in the car.
Directions for you are easy, 287 south to the NJ Turnpike south. Track is located in Millville, NJ. PDF directions are here:
http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/pdf/DirectionsNJMP.pdf

Bill S.

PS: I wonder if they will accept my "non novice" status from the PDA

Old 12-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Switch over to PDA

OK, if we switch over to PDA. They have Pocono, New Jersey MP, The Glen listed. I will guess they will add more dates & tracks as they confirm with the different venues. go to www.pdadrivingschool.com and the schedule in under event registration.

I just received a reply from MVP, they are OK with the single roll bar and the lead- follow instructor/ novice driver. we can check the schedule at MVP Track time and compare with PDA for dates & tracks.

let me know what you think.

later, karl

Last edited by KarlCSX2498; 12-30-2009 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: speling
Old 12-30-2009, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Has anyone been to an event sponsered by this group before?
Old 12-30-2009, 12:15 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
Has anyone been to an event sponsored by this group before?
The PDA countless times, trackdaze, never.

Bill S.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     

hmmmmmmm...........

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Switch fto PDA or MVP for open track.

Hey Bill, Looks like we have to switch over to either PDA or MVP, they will allow the single roll bar cars to run in novice.
We will need to check the schedules for PDA & MVP to find a event to fit into our schedule. Both seem to have a partial list posted, it may take some time for the full schedules to be posted.
Later, karl
Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Pda track events

I've been to numerous PDA (NASA Northeast) events and have been treated well. With a single roll bar you have to work yourself up to an intermediate group (I did it with SCDA) and now I can really enjoy the events. I did find that learning a new track without an onboard coach is difficult, but all in all the events are really fun.
I'd love to see more Cobra guys out enjoying their rides. The guys that come as a group seem to have a lot more fun.
Pat
Old 01-01-2010, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

Depending on my job status, I am interested in joining the group.

m-a
Old 01-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More PDA dates posted

hello, PDA has posted a few more dates to their schedule.

March 27 Lime Rock
April 11 Pocono
April 16 NJMP Lightning Course
April 30 Lime Rock
May 3 The Glen
May 28 NJMP Lightning Course
July 16 Pocono
Aug 13 Lime Rock
Sept 4 Pocono
Oct 1 The Glen
Oct 29 NJMP Thunder Course

Let me know what you think for date & location. If one of these dates does not work, MVP will be posting more dates soon. I think Pat has a great point, the more Cobras and Club Cobra members we have the more fun it will be. Later, karl
Old 01-02-2010, 03:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Pocono is a bit on the flat side, but might be our best bet for you "newbies". Nothing like taking your cobra out on the track. (Bill K and I at Pocono 2002)

Bill S.

Last edited by mrmustang; 12-26-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

I might add, that in order to pass tech inspection your rollbar must be higher than your helmet covered head. If you are not sure if your car will pass tech, you can bring the car down to my shop and I can go over it with you . Wheel bearings, fuel and brake line routing, loose items, overflow/puke tanks, fluid leaks, etc all need to be addressed for starters. Next will be your safety harnesses (are they outdated?), helmet (SA2005 and up, make sure you have them properly fit at a shop that knows how to do this, do not buy them online as each helmet and each manufacturer has a different fit). Also keep in mind you are in an open cockpit car, I usually wear my 2 layer fire suit, but decent lace up sneakers, jeans, and long sleeves will be all that is required to pass most tech inspections. If this is your first time at the track, you might consider not taking the cobra and taking your daily "sports oriented" driver if you have one. If not, then you want to take the time to really learn your car, it's not about how fast you can drive it, but how smooth you can drive it around a certain course. Speed comes later..........

Hope you guys find this helpful.

Bill S.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default couple of questions

KarlCSX2498 Couple of questions,
How much per day and how many laps?
I am just looking to run some SLOW laps on street tires, I have a 5 point cage for me but not for a co passenger?
I am not looking for high speed runs, working on setup only.
I will be happy to run novice at the back of the line.
I am interested in either NJ or Poco, The Glen is too far to drive for 1 day.
I will need a new helmet and safety belts for the car, L/S. Have Jacket.
More info as it comes would be nice. Rick L.