1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     
Default No 4bbls allowed!

AND No Big Blocks Allowed either!

Merry Christmas to you all.......enjoy this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVedu...=youtube_gdata

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0g5TBwxa64&feature=related

Yeoooooow!

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 12-24-2009 at 12:03 AM..
Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Rick,

Now that was cool! What a mix of cars and a wonderful track ... gotta love the sound of the racing 289 screaming up the mountain. The bit on the fuel injection was neat, those input stacks look great. Thanks!

- Tim
Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

That little Falcon was Hot!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Now that's raceing............
Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

It looks like they are using a considerably narrower tire than what is used in Vintage Trans Am in the US, plus the engines would appear to be much more developed in light of the type of fuel injection utilized. Does anyone know if there is an RPM limiter utilized ( I think there is in V8 Supercar) is this right?

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

Near the end of the clip at 9 min 26 sec, one of the commentators says that car is on the rev limiter ... so looks like they have some type of set up.

The motors seem to be running at fairly high RPMs ... probably 289 to 302 cu in ?

- Tim
Old 12-24-2009, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think I remember 7500 RPM limit in V8 Supercar

Old 12-24-2009, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1969 Mustang Fastback Pro-Street, constantly changing ongoing project!
Not Ranked     

Good Stuff!!!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body; but rather a skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

7500 RPM ... that could very well be ... sounds like the motors are spinning some pretty high Revs. Bet the cars sound even better 'live'
Old 12-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Rick,

Now that was cool! What a mix of cars and a wonderful track ... gotta love the sound of the racing 289 screaming up the mountain. The bit on the fuel injection was neat, those input stacks look great. Thanks!

- Tim
Bit of a misnomer on the name for this thread. The bit on FI was for the modern V8 Supercar series, not these vintage cars, they're on carbs. I love watching it though!

Steve
Old 12-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rick,

- Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Bit of a misnomer on the name for this thread. The bit on FI was for the modern V8 Supercar series, not these vintage cars, they're on carbs. I love watching it though!

Steve

Steve,

I might be all wrong here, but it's my understanding that these 'Vintage' cars have 'Modern' drive lines and other improvements ...

==========

http://www.cams.com.au/en/Sport/Disc...20Masters.aspx

The Biante Touring Car Masters immediately struck a winning formula, with its mix of classic hero cars and modern improvements, such as disc brakes, dry-sumped engines and radial tyres, producing intense, dynamic racing right from the outset ...

Showcasing a selection of immaculately prepared touring cars of the pre-1974 era, the Biante Touring Car Masters boasts some of the sport's most iconic muscle cars from Falcon GT's, BOSS Mustangs, Chevrolet Camaros, Chrysler Chargers and Holden Monaros to the giant-toppling Holden Toranas and nimble Porsche 911 RS's.

==========

So I believe that the discussion of fuel injection highlighted during the race is referring to the vintage cars that were racing ... perhaps some of our Cobra buddies from Down Under can elaborate?

- Tim
Old 12-25-2009, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default No 4bbls allowed!

It is my understanding that most of the vintage race cars run what they did in the day as the class allowed, either 4 B carb, Webers or mechanical injection, NOT EFI AND COMPUTERS ON A CLASSIC RACECAR. As far as brakes roll cage etc I think those areas have been improved for safety and reliability, that would also apply to engine parts which are obviously better quality now than they were back then and the engines are far more reliable and probably produce more hp!

We have some kitcar type GT40'S etc from Aussie that run here in NZ classic events that have EFI, but they arent original race cars, and from what I have seen they dont really go better at WOT than carb cars. In Australia if you build a new kit car EFI only in some states due to emissions bull****

Having said all that for the road EFI is definitely the way to go, I have my Ford 675bhp KC nascar based engine which probably wont do much more than 10mpg at cruising, whereas if I had fitted a new LS7 505BHP engine which would be almost as quick as they are both all alloy, and I would have had 30mpg as a bonus but then I dont think they would welcome that at a classic type event here as much as the Ford carbed engine!

The 1960's rocked!

Last edited by Ant; 12-25-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Old 12-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Steve,

I might be all wrong here, but it's my understanding that these 'Vintage' cars have 'Modern' drive lines and other improvements ...

So I believe that the discussion of fuel injection highlighted during the race is referring to the vintage cars that were racing ... perhaps some of our Cobra buddies from Down Under can elaborate?

- Tim
In that 1st video listen to what is said by the commentators right after the FI spot at about the 7:15 -:24 mark. He just puts all of that into perspective. Fuel cells, discs and dry sumps are one type of thing, computer controlled EFI and ignition is quite another set of things.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
In that 1st video listen to what is said by the commentators right after the FI spot at about the 7:15 -:24 mark. He just puts all of that into perspective. Fuel cells, discs and dry sumps are one type of thing, computer controlled EFI and ignition is quite another set of things.

Steve,

I listed to the commentary again caught the bit about a Carburetor and Distributor, which makes more sense ... you are correct. Thanks.

Don't know if they had Rev limiters back in the day like they do now ... but you sure can hear it cut in around 9:25 on the tape, and the commentators mention it as well.

- Tim
Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim, I can hear that as well. Not like I know, but I imagine that they are running MSD or ICE ignition boxes at least.

Steve