LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default Ford Brings the "Stock Car" Back to NASCAR

........return of brand identity

" New 2013 Ford Fusion NASCAR Sprint Cup Car Brings the “Stock Car” Back to NASCAR JAN. 24, 2012

* Ford Racing unveils 2013 Fusion NASCAR Sprint Cup redesign at Charlotte Motor Speedway during NASCAR Media Tour
* 2013 Sprint Cup car features full redesign by Ford designers to mirror 2013 Fusion production car and return brand identity to the track
* New Fusion race car will debut at Daytona 500 in February 2013 "

NASCAR News - articles | New 2013 Ford Fusion NASCAR Sprint Cup Car Brings the “Stock Car” Back to NASCAR | The Official Site of Ford Racing | Racing.Ford.com

NASCAR News - articles | 2013 NASCAR Fusion Sprint Cup Car Sculpted by Ford Design Center | The Official Site of Ford Racing | Racing.Ford.com
Old 01-24-2012, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS427, 408w, 48IDA Webers, TKO 600, 9" Currie 4-link 4.11 rear
Not Ranked     

Being a big NASCAR fan I had plenty of doubts about the post and how well the design can reach the indentity of the car. The picture in the link you provided looked really damn good - it actually looks like a Ford.

Apart from performance, the Mustang stock car from 2011 looked nothing like a Mustang - just like a stock car with decals representing that of a Mustang. Dodge clearly had the best brand identity as it clearly looked like a Dodge, and looked really good. It looked like an agressive race car and represented that of the ones you see off the track. That had to be great publicity.

Looks as though Ford is trying to do the same thing, which is great, the Mustang last year looked too soft. I am not a Fusion fan, but this car looks great.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

While not stated, possibility that for each of the four manufacturers, if all have unique designs, there will be four sets of inspection templates. Might bring back the internal challenges if it is perceived one or more have an aerodynamic advantage.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 1967 / Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

I've been wishing for a few years that they'd just experiment with actual STOCK cars like they did in the old days. Remove glass, weld up the joints, install a cage, etc., but it'd be interesting to see something that begins its life as a manufactured car converted to a race car versus something that is identical to its neighbor under the sheet metal "skin" and some stickers.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzito View Post
I've been wishing for a few years that they'd just experiment with actual STOCK cars like they did in the old days. Remove glass, weld up the joints, install a cage, etc., but it'd be interesting to see something that begins its life as a manufactured car converted to a race car versus something that is identical to its neighbor under the sheet metal "skin" and some stickers.
X2.
Bring back the dealership floored "Stock Cars".
Get rid of the RC (remote control) style bodied NASCAR cars.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Win on Sunday
..........Sell on Monday.

I agree, let manufacturers make their own body to match the actual cars on the lot. Would advance performance, handling and gas mileage as the above motto would hold true.

I have no worries about NASCAR too many things to check, test and inspect. All the regulation is a bit like Mafia. Ease up and let manufacturers do what they do best design. Worked for this great country in the 60's, 70's and then regulation came and US cars went flat.

Win on Sunday
..........Sell on Monday.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 01-24-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner of both Superformance #2666 Roush 427IR and Superformance #1601 Ford Crate 460CI - 486 HP 510 ft\lbs TQ
Not Ranked     

Alright! On Monday I am going down to the dealer and put my deposit down for the new Ford Fusion with the 358ci V8! ;-)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 1967 / Roush 402R
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
While not stated, possibility that for each of the four manufacturers, if all have unique designs, there will be four sets of inspection templates. Might bring back the internal challenges if it is perceived one or more have an aerodynamic advantage.
I don't see any problem here. If they have to get more HP out of their engine to make up for a brick of an aero design, oh well. Some cars may naturally have better handling on road courses or short tracks, too. I'd think that nowadays, with so much more attention on NASCAR, the manufacturers and parts suppliers would try to level the playing field as best they can.

Remember when Buick won something like 22 of 26 races in the early 80s? That didn't last long before everyone else caught up

The new Fusion seems to be a small step in the right direction. Now if they'd only get rid of some of the 1.5 mile D-shaped cookie cutter tracks and bring back some more short tracks!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

its nice to see NASCAR ditch the "tuner car look"...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
I like the look of the car also. It looks more like what you would actually get if you went to the dealers and bought a new one. Now if the brain dead NASCAR officials will just keep their meddling to a low level, NASCAR may actually get back to some of the real racing they used to have. Let each maker make their cars like the stock models. Then let the teams put in the safety stuff and tune the motors and etc.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-25-2012, 07:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With the additional challenges on attracting and retaining sponsorship for the race teams, NASCAR will need to substantially improve the TV ratings and track attendance. Forcing changes that otherwise might not have been considered.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Note the following:

" Nevertheless, Ford sees the NASCAR racer's familiar looks as a good promotional tool to sell more Fusions to the masses.

"We wanted Fusion to be the car that helped return ‘stock car’ to NASCAR," commented Jamie Allison, director, Ford Racing.“I think fans, when they see the car, are just going to smile and cheer. It is going to reengage them with the sport and make the sport better because there is just something natural about seeing race cars that look like cars in their driveways.” "

This is the New 2013 Ford Fusion NASCAR Racecar - Carscoop
Old 01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since the initial press release on the 2013 NASCAR Ford Fusion, a number of articles on the subject, one example is:

NASCAR: Ford's Jamie Allison says 2013 car design shows series is listening to fans - Autoweek
Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Note the " evenly matched ".......

" One of the two new race cars was in the NASCAR wind tunnel earlier in the day and the numbers look good--comparable to what Ford has now. It would be no problem to make all four manufacturers' cars look different, but making sure they are evenly matched on the track is NASCAR's mandate "

NASCAR: 2013 Ford Fusion racer rolls out at Charlotte: Video - Autoweek