1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     
Default need pics of accusump installations

Howdy all,

I'm about to put an accusump in my cobra. It is mostly a track toy at this point. I have a bunch of stuff shoved in the engine compartment and space is tight.

I was hoping folks here could provide photos of their installation to help me decide where to rearrange things to in order to fit the accusump.

Still not sure if I can fit the 3qt unit and may have to live with the 2qt version.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Check with Gordon Levy...I think he has done several accusump intalls. He is near Phoenix.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Clois, thanks. FYI, I have no issues with the install or the fabrication. Just looking for ideas on where folks have put their accusumps.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's mine, 2 quart;

Old 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

ItBites,

Here's mine:

Forward = UP ⬆

It's a 3 quart size.

Tom
Old 08-02-2012, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Undy and Tom,

Thanksmuch guys, just what i was looking for. BTW,any idea how long the EPC solenoid section is?

Anyone else?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

E. Woods,

Mine is in about the same place as Tom Wells photo, but I'm not home to take a picture now. My engine compartment is a little roomier and my Accusump is mounted to the front frame crossmember. One of my goals was to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, so I put it as low as I could.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-02-2012, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Since this picture was taken, the valve failed and I removed. Now I just have a 90* fitting at the bottom. I don't use it for pre-oiling.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tommy and Bob,

Are you using the 2 qt or the 3 qt unit. Bob, yours looks like the 2 qt.

Any thoughts from y'all or anyone on the need for 3 vs 2 qts. Obviously, the 2 qt is easier to fit... I do track the car mostly.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

ItBites,

I used the three quart size because it can hold the pressure up 50% longer than the two quart size. There are some long sweeping turns at places like Sebring and Daytona...

The valve & pressure switch combo on mine measures just under 5" from the face of the Accusump to where the nipple starts joining it to the rest of the plumbing, which is a simple line to the pressure gauge outlet on the BBF just above where the mechanical fuel pump used to go.

bobcowan,

I don't know how old the valve was that failed for you, but mine also failed - at least it leaked through the body a significant amount. The fix was the new-style valve from Canton - apparently they originally used valves from espresso machines I don't recall whether they had me send in the old one and replaced it without extra charge - at least that's what I think happened.

Tom
Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

i just put one in mine, i run a 460 (with a stroker kit) and was having some wild oil pressure swings on the track. i changed to a canton low profile racing pan (which they have specifcially for cobras!) and the pan worked great!! i also added a 3qt accumulator and fabed a bracket so it sits above the radiator.

accumulator by sspano01, on Flickr

oil pressure around watkins glen is now 55+ psi instead of down near zero!!!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks folks

I really appreciate this as I am not only looking at location, but also plumbing routing and and brackets.

My 540 Dart engine has pretty good oiling and i run a baffled pan, but I saw the pressure dip a couple of times at a track in AZ called Inde. I suspect that on a track with a big sweeper, it'd be worse. I'd like to use the 3 qt, but I have to relocate things already in that spot to fit like Tom's or sspan's. Vertical mounting appears limited to 2qt. Hmmm....
Old 08-02-2012, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Here's mine!

Regards.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I bought my 2qt. Accusump directly from Canton in 2007. Looking at their web site today, the electric valve does look completly different that the one I had. As I recall, it started leaking one day, and then wouldn't open. I threw it in the trash.

I'm also using Chris's road racing pan. So far, this set up has been flawless. I have a warning light that comes on at 25psi. Every once in a while it will flicker a little bit, but never comes on solid. And that only happens with hard braking, never with cornering.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 08-03-2012, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

2 qt = pre-lube duty only

3 qt = Track and pre-lube duty
Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

E. Woods,

I have a 3 qt. Accusump and I'll echo what Tom Wells said. Here's the way I see it working. You start with an initial small charge of air inside the Accusump at relatively low pressure. When the engine starts and the oil system pressurizes, oil will force its way into the Accusump, compressing the air into a smaller space. When the pressure of the compressed air matches the oil pressure, the Accusump will be fully charged. The amount of oil in the Accusump and the amount of pressure it is under is determined by the size of the initial air charge and your engine's oil pressure.

When your engine loses oil pressure (e.g., a long sweeping turn pulls oil away from the pickup in the pan), the compressed air will begin to push oil back into the system. As oil is pushed out, the space for the air expands and its pressure will begin to drop. The rate at which it drops depends on how much air you had in the Accusump. The dilemma is this: If you start with a larger air charge, the pump will hold less oil, but it will maintain a higher pressure longer when it has to push it back into your engine. Conversely, you can use a smaller air charge to get more oil into the Accusump, but the pressure will drop more quickly when the Accusump is pushing oil back to the engine. Because neither situation is ideal, it is a good idea to have a larger Accusump so you can have both a larger oil reservoir and a larger air charge.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 08-03-2012, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

My 3 qt. is mounted under the passenger seat via the frame. With no clearence problems. Just a little extra braded hose to the hook up points. With the oil cooler, 8.5 qt. pan & lines. I'm running 12 qts. My engine bay is uncluttered & maint. is no problem! The car has been tracked @ a few events with no problem. If its location makes you nervous you could add a sheild if disired. my balence is right on 50/50 F/R & 50/50 L/R, no problem

Last edited by Silversmith; 08-03-2012 at 04:10 PM..