• 1 Post By gsharapa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkey Seat

So, it's time for a new drivers seat. The original Cobra Clubman is looking pretty ratty.

I like the Cobra Clubman seat. It works well at the track, it's comfortable for a long road trip, easy to get in and out of, and looks good. The easy thing to do is simply buy another one and bolt it in. But, in another 5-6 years, I'll be right back at the same place, with a worn out ugly looking seat. And that leads me to be looking at other options.

I don't really want a road racing seat. It would be nice to have on track week ends. But the rest of the time it would be an annoyance.

The idea of a snap on cover is pretty appealing. It can be removed for cleaning. And when it wears out It can be easily replaced.

My biggest concern is ease of entry. So looking at the hip and thigh bolsters on Kirkey seats has me a bit concerned.

I am seriously considering the drag seats. The Pro-Drag is a good looking seat, and has an angled bottom pan. That should make it pretty comfortable, especially with that nicely padded cover. As I understand it, that's a Vintage seat with a head rest welded on.

Kirkey Racing - Browse Products

I am also considering the Economy Drag, This is currently my #1 choice, mostly because of the lower sides. But it has a flat bottom, and sometimes that's not very comfortable.

Kirkey Racing - Browse Products

Trimming down the side supports on the outside should not be that difficult, especially with the economy drag seat. Then some quick work with a sewing machine to modify the cover.

I know a couple of people here used the Economy Drag and Pro Drag seats. How do they fit you? What's comfort level on an all day drive? And how easy is entry and exit?
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Bob,
I have the Pro Drag seat and love it. It's very comfortable (to me), keeps me firmly planted, it gives me more leg room than the original FFR seats and I really like the neck support that a high back seat gives.

I've only done one track event and don't have any other seats to compare to, but it sure seemed to work for me.

I considered the econo drag seats but didn't want the flat bottom. I find the Pro Drag seat is pretty easy to get in and out of. To get out, I just put my hands on the sides and lift up.

They do make a bolt on shoulder support that you might want to consider just for track events.

John
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R, Kentucky Cobra Club
Not Ranked     

I use the Pro Drag and have since day one. Way more comfortable than you might guess. Easy to insert carbon fiber seat heaters in the Kirkey covers and you can stay comfortable into the teens with the top off. And backing into the armco might be better with the high back. At least I think so. And its nice (but that's me) to tell passengers to just step onto the seats and drop. You cannot hurt them. The seats that is. The deep pocket really helps even with a five point. I think the Road Race would restrict my street vision and they would be beastly if you put a top on. IMHO. Add a pump up lumbar and I can do 12 hour days easily.

Dallas's point about leg room is very valid. I gained at least two inches over the leather Superformance seats. I mounted them to the OEM sliders.

Last edited by Chilibit; 01-02-2013 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: Add data
Old 01-02-2013, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilibit View Post
I use the Pro Drag and have since day one.

Dallas's point about leg room is very valid. I gained at least two inches over the leather Superformance seats. I mounted them to the OEM sliders.
Sounds like a winner! Where do you find inflatable lumbar supports.

I heard that about the leg room. And looking at pictures of the seat, they are a lot thinner than the Clubmans. I don't need any extra leg room. But it might be nice to have some extra space behind the seats for coats and stuff while on a road trip.

I am also taking a serious look at the Ultrashield drag racing and spec miata seats. The drag racer could be exactly what I'm looking for. But they're not very forth coming on their specs.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried at least three supports. Most leak air, including the ones from seat manufacturers. This one from Amazon works like a charm and holds air (in my case) forever. And it costs less.

Embrace Air Portable Backrest Inflatable Support Cushion

I failed twice with Corbeau.

I got my seats from JEGS. Nice to deal with. Ask me if you want something measured. I have the 17 inch width.

A word of warning. If you let your car sit out in a rainstorm with no top the seat bottom will be four inches deep in water when you drop in. And it will not be obvious. A garbage bag can be your friend.

I think Ultrashield is very close to the same, but that is not from hands on experience.

Kirkey does great welding on the aluminum. These are in keeping with the spirit of the early days. If you need to mod it, drill it, and press on. Functionality in spades.

Ciao
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #523, 427 S/O
Not Ranked     

I can't understand why your clubman seats are only lasting 5-6 years, when there are original Cobras around with perfectly acceptable original seats. What are you doing to them to destroy them in such a short time?
My seats are 5 years old and are just starting to get a nice patina and are no where near needing to be replaced.

Paul
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

bobcowan,
I got the ( lower half) Kirkey 53 series Full containment seat (18” wide, 15deg layback) Its a great seat, hold you in place, very comfortable. I trimmed the top and back support to fit the car, as you said it was easy
Getting in it, is certainly more challenging. But I wanted a quick release steering wheel anyway and that sure made it easier!

Last edited by D-CEL; 01-03-2013 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: added photos
Old 01-03-2013, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
I can't understand why your clubman seats are only lasting 5-6 years,

Paul
I'm kinda hard on a car, I guess. I like to drive it like I stole it. In all kinds of weather. I think mostly the CO sun beat it up, because the seams are bursting at the very top edge of the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
bobcowan,
I got the ( lower half) Kirkey 53 series Full containment seat (18” wide, 15deg layback) Its a great seat, hold you in place, very comfortable. I trimmed the top and back support to fit the car, as you said it was easy
Getting in it, is certainly more challenging. But I wanted a quick release steering wheel anyway and that sure made it easier!
I have a quick release wheel already, but I really don't want to be using it every time I get in and out. If I get a Kirkey, I'll trim that left side bolster quit a bit' bring the profile down more like a Clubman.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Kirkey seat back brace

Has anyone installed a seat back brace on racing seat in a F5 Cobra? I have the Pro Drag seat with the high back and it fits and feels great. Seat heaters and lumbar supports sound pretty good too. Anyone have sources?
Thanks...........racecartom
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have the Pro Drag Seat in my coupe and love it. I bought some firm 1" foam from fabric/upholstery store and laid about a 4" wide lumbar support across the back then covered from shoulder blades to thighs with another layer and added the seat heaters to the covers. I can go for hours in the seat with no problem. I usually need to pee or get more gas before I get out due to discomfort.
Just make sure you get the right width seat. 17" seats will work for most in the average size range. I have 18's and swim in there a bit at 6' and 215 lbs with a 36" waist.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecartom View Post
Has anyone installed a seat back brace on racing seat in a F5 Cobra? I have the Pro Drag seat with the high back and it fits and feels great. Seat heaters and lumbar supports sound pretty good too. Anyone have sources?
Thanks...........racecartom
I have the Pro Drag seats in my FFR.
This Kirkey Universal Seat Brackets 99202 - SummitRacing.com is the back seat bracket I used.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I tried Corbeau and one other seat oriented lumbar product. I threw them away. This one works, its inexpensive and it actually holds pressure.

Amazon.com: Embrace Air Portable Backrest Inflatable Support Cushion: Health & Personal Care

Four panels of carbon fiber seat/back panels and wiring and controls was about 100 dollars. I don't see the vendor I used but here is the idea.

SIL Universal Carbon Fiber Dual Temp Heated Seat Heater Installation Kit - Automotive - Seat Covers - Universal Fit Seat Covers

I put the heaters under the Kirkey fabric and then use the foam to keep the aluminum from dissipating the heat. They work just fine.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

I went with the vintage seat as I really like the way they look and wanted something to hold me in. I measured per Kirkey's specs and for racing I should of gotten a 17" but I purchased a 19" as I wanted it more for the street with a bit more room and easier to get in and out of. I love it and sit down lower in the car also. I put some high tech foam in the back and seat to make it more comfortable..........Looks great also!

SGwick likes this.