Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Road America Lap Times

How many Cobra owners out there that can turn a lap at RA under 2:40? What's your motor?

Thinking about getting into the Cobra community and would like to see how many participate in HPDE's with their Cobra's.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar, 427 Center Oiler
Not Ranked     

I'm hoping to find out this weekend in a JBL Coupe. I'm keeping my expectations low as the car is barely sorted. I'm running street tires too and still getting used to the car. That being said, this track is what this car was made for. Just don't know if I was made for it. Should be fun though. I'll post videos.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Dean Lampe and I turned laps of 2:44.89 and 2:44.93 in different classes. I had the slower time but I won my class and Dean came in second in his class. I got a nice trophy for my efforts.

We both were running 427 Side Oilers in our Cobra's except Dean was running in Modified and I was running in the Pro class. I ran Hoosier Slicks and Dean had some Hoosier A-4 autocross tires.

My absolute favorite track. However, after going all out through the Kinks and hitting Canada Corner I must admit it takes a little while for certain parts of my body to re-apear in their normal configuration. I think one of the guys we ran with that weekend turned 4:38.??? in a highly modified Black Cobra running a 427 Stroker. I think he was turning near 7000 RPMs through the whole course. I believe he was a Stock broker out of Tucson, AZ.

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 10-10-2013, 07:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

As you may or may not know.....KMP259 was built to run at Road America an other tracks.....

Our times at Road America were 2:24 and one lap Steve did a 2:22 but mostly in the 24's consistently....

With more fine tuning of his driving, I believe he could of worked his way down into the Teen's......

KMP259 is running a Shelby FE built by Kinetics Racing and and it does haul the mail.....

It is a very fast car and is built to run on that track with it's three long straight's....and like Clois said.....the kink and Canada corner are a ride that puts a smile on you face for a long time.....

Morris
Old 10-10-2013, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Default Good memories

The black cobra from Arizona was Scott Coyle who is coyled on this site. He was turning consistent 2:29s or less. I think one of his runs is in the CC archives. Do a search.

And yep....the kink and Canada corner.... Muni good! Also turn five, then up the hill and under the bridge. Me like.

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Lap Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
As you may or may not know.....KMP259 was built to run at Road America an other tracks.....

Our times at Road America were 2:24 and one lap Steve did a 2:22 but mostly in the 24's consistently....

With more fine tuning of his driving, I believe he could of worked his way down into the Teen's......

KMP259 is running a Shelby FE built by Kinetics Racing and and it does haul the mail.....

It is a very fast car and is built to run on that track with it's three long straight's....and like Clois said.....the kink and Canada corner are a ride that puts a smile on you face for a long time.....

Morris
Those are excellent lap times, and would put you about 1/2 mile ahead of the previously mentioned Cobra times every lap!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good to hear from you Morris. I'm passing through Chicago in a few hours. I'm getting more excited by the mile to see what this coupe will do. Can't wait.

Mat Twiehaus
Old 10-10-2013, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Those are excellent lap times, and would put you about 1/2 mile ahead of the previously mentioned Cobra times every lap!
Bruce

If they would of let us run in the Brian Redman Historic race....we could of won it.....
By todays standards We are still a GT-2 car ......not a GT-1 car.....our times are competitive with GT-2 times........our GT-1 times (Corvette) are 2:10's.......quite a bit faster ...but much higher technology......but the old GT1 times are in the 2:12's......

And yes....I've started in the back of the pack many times and made it to the front within 5 or 6 laps......but now I'm to old and fat to equal those times.....but my brain still works fine.....
Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

I will second that Morris, very good to see you on the board. I miss our conversations about how to properly weight the corners. I hope to see you again soon. By the way your brother Steve stopped in at Hallett during Run N Gun last year on his trek across the west. He is a great driver and I hope to catch up with both of you on a track someday soon.

Have fun Mat and remember to make a bathroom run before you get out on the track. It will cut down on the clean up afterwards! I am so fricken jealous right now that you are motoring up to Road America and I am setting here in front of this stupid computer wondering why I didnt' join you. Oh yea, I got no race car ready yet!

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 951mat View Post
Good to hear from you Morris. I'm passing through Chicago in a few hours. I'm getting more excited by the mile to see what this coupe will do. Can't wait.

Mat Twiehaus
Mat

I wish you the best and remember, learn the car first, then learn the track.....then memorize each and every turn......brake....turn in point......accelerate......apex.....exit late.....

Let us know how you do.....
Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
I will second that Morris, very good to see you on the board. I miss our conversations about how to properly weight the corners. I hope to see you again soon. By the way your brother Steve stopped in at Hallett during Run N Gun last year on his trek across the west. He is a great driver and I hope to catch up with both of you on a track someday soon.

Have fun Mat and remember to make a bathroom run before you get out on the track. It will cut down on the clean up afterwards! I am so fricken jealous right now that you are motoring up to Road America and I am setting here in front of this stupid computer wondering why I didnt' join you. Oh yea, I got no race car ready yet!

Clois

Clois

You are a hoot ......and I miss those times we had together....
Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Morris you taught me more in one weekend that I ever learned in any driving school. Thank you.

If you get up to RA this weekend Mat has the bright red Daytona Coupe....can't miss hime he's about 6'5" and wears a size 20 right shoe

"Let's roll"

Old 10-10-2013, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Take video if you can, Mat...

If you end up tracking a lot, we're putting a solid cam in that puppy.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Bruce

If they would of let us run in the Brian Redman Historic race....we could of won it.....
By todays standards We are still a GT-2 car ......not a GT-1 car.....our times are competitive with GT-2 times........our GT-1 times (Corvette) are 2:10's.......quite a bit faster ...but much higher technology......but the old GT1 times are in the 2:12's......

And yes....I've started in the back of the pack many times and made it to the front within 5 or 6 laps......but now I'm to old and fat to equal those times.....but my brain still works fine.....
Morris,

I hear you on the old stuff, I am so old the damn thing scares me now, I used to be oblivious to any danger. You are right about the technology ABS, aerodynamics and other driver aids make a huge difference not to mention a looong wheel base which makes it so much easier to drive than a Cobra.
A shame they wouldn't let you run the Brian Redman race in GT2, the crowd would have loved it.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Ran low teens in Formula Atlantic way back when. The kink is an exciting turn even to pros.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 951mat View Post

Mat Twiehaus

Mat

Here's a check list of what to do before you get to the track and then when you get to the track..... it starts on post #77

This is the way we approach every outing.... Unless I know the track... then we might move up a bit in the approach....

It might help you fine tune the new car.... hope it helps

KMP 259 Phase 2

Hope it helps out....

Morris
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, SBF 351w (463 CI)
Not Ranked     

Morris thanks so much for sharing. Very informative!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I remember one of the first times I was at RA with a group of friends from Texas and Keith W. topped the hill in front of the Start/Finish line and got a little (maybe a lot) airborne. I think he had moved his line to the outside and found the "whop ti do" which shook him up quite a bit. I think he may have been running about 130 or 140 mph at the time. I am not sure if Keith got back in the car that day or not. I know I moved my line to the inside considerably after that.

"Let's roll"

Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks a lot Morris. You remind me how much I forget stuff. I forgot I even had a pyrometer. I'll put it to good use. I'm not on race rubber yet. NTO5s, 200 compound. I figured it might help me learn the car at more moderate speeds. Needless to say I'll be working my way up slowly. Not really looking forward to the new "patina" I'm going to get, but it will be worth it.

Weather may be wet tomorrow, but Sunday will be great I hope. Any chance you're free to buzz up here for a day?? Hope all is well. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

951mat, so how did you do in the Coupe?