Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Scottsdale GoodGuys Shootout

After a months preparation including renting a skid pad, buying two different brands of 200 TW street tires, 40 gallons of Sunoco 110, and driving 1000 miles to Scottsdale to get into the $10k Scottsdale autox shootout we got our a$$ kicked by two Corvettes. There were 40 cars trying for 4 openings in the final shootout of 24 cars. We were first in line Friday morning at 4:30 am and made it into the top ten on Friday and into the top 24 on Saturday morning. Fastest of all 60 cars running on Friday and qualified Second Saturday morning, but alas finished 3rd in the afternoon. The new engine ran like a train both days, never overheated or stumbled at any time. The only real issue is that maximum turn angle is 20 degrees because of my front end design and short travel rack. Most other cars had between 30 and 40 degrees of steer angle and there were about (7) u-turns on the course. Oh well, maybe next year...

You tube video of Fridays last run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrcxuQ1BCcY
Old 11-23-2013, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

You gave it what you could, Bruce - nothing to be sorry about. Better luck next time!
Old 11-23-2013, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Is your car a 1 speed, no need to shift with all that TQ,... Awesome video Bruce...
Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 1 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
Is your car a 1 speed, no need to shift with all that TQ,... Awesome video Bruce...
The engine really is amazingly flexible it can accelerate hard at 2000 rpm (22 mph) even though the cam timing is really radical, all the way to 8500 rpm.

Thanks for the kind words Ned, will try again next year.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Bruce

I think you did great...and the motor sounded very smooth.........keep up the great work.....and watch those pylons.....we hit one and crushed in the right rear quarter panel....thank goodness there's good dent removal guys out there.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Pylon Hits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Bruce

I think you did great...and the motor sounded very smooth.........keep up the great work.....and watch those pylons.....we hit one and crushed in the right rear quarter panel....thank goodness there's good dent removal guys out there.
Thanks Morris,

I already have a bunch of dents in the front so don't worry too much about new hits, the day it gets fixed I won't be able to run it anymore because I will be afraid of dents. I wish I had this set up for Laguna last year, it is very soft in the spring , shock and bar departments and works well with harder tires.
We took it to Bondurant's place in Chandler and they let us break in the new tires there, he said he really liked the stance and loved the engine sounds. Got some shots of Bob in the car too, so all in all we had some fun times other than the loss. Bobs wife really liked the all black wheels on the car, they have a Superformance Cobra that they like to run on his track.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Sure sounds good. I would love to see you run a road course now like you mentioned Laguna last year..... Like to see the pics of Bob in the car?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bob in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsharapa View Post
Sure sounds good. I would love to see you run a road course now like you mentioned Laguna last year..... Like to see the pics of Bob in the car?
Here is a short video we took, Bob is 80 years old and looks great.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=1R9I1whNPHU
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2123 408w - looking at other options
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a fantastic trip, all-in-all!