14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     
Default Open events

I was curious as to what type of tech if any i should be aware of for an open type track event. Im thinking about just timed fun events like Lime Rock or the new Thompson motor sport Park if they even have a day for this type of racing. I passed tech for autocross but I realize this is a different animal. Would a scca sanctioned event be different? Example: my Simpson 5pt harness is more than 5 years old, would this be a potential problem?

Last edited by RET_COP; 02-07-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Old 02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Check out these regional groups to get open track time in your car.

Comscc.org

SCDA.com

Comscc has a very professional training program, and is very safe. limited passing, point by's etc. Notice, I did not say slow. No wild Indians allowed. They run a time trial series that is also alot of fun and as competitive as you want with your street car. Also cheaper as it is a not for profit deal.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Are you looking for info for open road course track events or autocross? If road course, SCCA has just started doing a REX (racing experience) and at the event in St Louis last year, they didn't perform a tech on the car, just on the safety equipment for the driver. Other events were a track rents to an organization (like 10/10ths or MVP here in the midwest), they perform a light tech, but the heavy duty stuff is up to you. Things like brake pads, driveshaft loops, tires, belts, hoses etc.... are yours. Most of the track organizers are interested in helmets (must be a SN, not a Motorcycle helmet). Your harness, as long as not frayed or in bad shape should be fine and i've never had mine inspected.

In the end, when the competitive juices take over and you go faster, you need to decide, am I going to be safe if..... How much is your melon worth? Get out there and do it, it is the most fun you can have in these cars
Old 02-14-2014, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to join comscc.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
It seems that every track has some differences in what they look for during an open track event. They have changed the rules here until you almost have to have a full inspection. Brakes, tires, kind of clothing you are wearing, a roll bar if you have a roadster or convertible and depending on the inspection team maybe a couple of other things. Not at all like it was 7 years ago. Helmets must meet the new standards also. So far they haven't gotten around to requiring a driving suit and regular drivers shoes but at the rate they keep changing things I believe that will be coming in the near future. And gloves, preferably fire retardant.

This varies from track to track so maybe you should check with the track operators before you go to be sure just what they look for. We also have a couple of smaller road courses that doesn't require very much at all. Just basic safety stuff such as seat belts and a helmet.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 02-17-2014 at 03:44 AM..
Old 02-17-2014, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's always nice to hear from your experience Ron. I'll be tuning in on the new Thompson Speedway to see how they run things in their first year. I plan on spectating some good road racing anyway.
There is a rallye in CT. this summer ending in the Speedway with the opportunity for some laps and food. It's to raise money for a good cause and it should be fun.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lou Around here, in the Northeast, open track events are run by a club or organization that sets the event rules. I recommend you check with the club for rules, not the track. If the tracks do have some requirements, notably the sound regs, they will be incorporated by the club. The Com rules were more than adequate at any track I ever ran.

You'll like running with COM, the people are great and share info/help readily. And the training is first class.