Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, 363 cu.in. 613 HP
Not Ranked     
Default Rear end spins out to the left.

I've recently started 1/4 mile drag racing. I notice that during burn out at the track, and when I do a burnout on the street, that the rear end immediately starts moving to the left and does not track straight during burn out like the other cars at the track. I have a Ford 9" rear end with 2 trailing arms, a Panhard bar, and a 3rd link bar. What adjustments could I try to get the Cobra to track straight during the burnout?
Old 01-18-2015, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

How does the car leave the line? Do you have to fight it to keep it straight after shifting?
If tire pressure is equal, check the lower control arm bushings for any play. Also make sure your rear is square with the chassis.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum

Who made the car? FFR, superformance?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Your getting to much traction on the driver side (left).

Check tires to make sure you have the same pressure on both sides.

If you have adjustable coil overs on the rear you can raise the driver side a little to shift weight to the passenger side.

Trial and error

Mine pulled to the right. I bought adjustable QA1 coil overs and increased the pressure on the passenger side by two click and decreased by two on the driver side. It now pulls straight

Dwight
Old 01-18-2015, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

It's the Coriolis effect. It'll go straight if you race at the equator. ;-)
krausewich and Texasdoc like this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor

Last edited by Tommy; 01-18-2015 at 05:24 PM..
Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
Welcome to the forum

Who made the car? FFR, superformance?
9"
Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmass View Post
I've recently started 1/4 mile drag racing. I notice that during burn out at the track, and when I do a burnout on the street, that the rear end immediately starts moving to the left and does not track straight during burn out like the other cars at the track. I have a Ford 9" rear end with 2 trailing arms, a Panhard bar, and a 3rd link bar. What adjustments could I try to get the Cobra to track straight during the burnout?
Who's chassis are you running (yes, it makes a difference on how we will respond)?

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-18-2015, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's a Hurricane Motorsports Cobra with a 347 cu in. 500 hp - fastest time yet is 11.3 secs at 121 mph. Tire pressure is equal on rear tires(and front). Has adjustable QA1 shock system which has been weighed and setup for road racing. I adjust the shock knobs one way(softer) for drag racing and the other way(harder) for road racing. Right now it's set up for drag, so the shock knobs are adjust to 5 on the passenger side and 3 on the drivers side. This setting is supposed to help keep the rear of the car level during launch. And this is the setting that I need to run straight, instead of going to the left at burnout. I'm thinking that adjusting the panhard bar may solve the problem. Also, maybe the trailing arms(or track bars) are not adjusted equally in length, and are "kicking" the axle off at a slight angle. Thanks for the advice so far. Tuesday, I'll be calling the factory for advice and talking to a couple of mechanics with drag racing experience. Thanks for all the tips, and I'd like to get more advice from anyone who has experience on this matter. I've been studying up on the internet, but I feel like I'm missing something...
bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My car runs a 9 inch LSD, it will always slide to the left on hard launch.

My mates car runs a 9 inch Truetrac, it is dead straight on launch.

Trait of LSD diffs.

Gold Certified Holden Technician

Last edited by Gaz64; 01-18-2015 at 11:13 PM..
Old 01-19-2015, 12:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The LSD could be taking just a fraction of a second to get the right side rear tire hooked up. I have seen this on several that didn't have the LSD built to where it is almost a locker.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

What was the thrust line when you did the alignment? I know, you didn't do an alignment. The thrust line needs to point either straight ahead or slightly to the right no more than 6-7 deg. to compensate for the engine assy. turning direction for drag racing from what I have read.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Is your 3rd link on the upper right hand side of the center section??
How much adjustment do you have in it??? On my drag car with a 3 link pulled my hair out trying to get it to go straight---------- adjust location of 3rd link sideways will effect direction it pushes the car---------I went thru over 30 coil over shocks before I found ones that were what they were supposed to be-----------
Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have an Eaton Detroit Truetrac differential. I got some advice this morning that sounds promising. Basically, using the panhard bar adjustment, I should center the rear axle housing to the frame(not the body) by using measurement points on the frame. Then, using the trailing arm adjustments, make the rear wheels the same distance from the front wheels. This procedure would make the rear end, frame, and the front wheels plumb and square. I'm going to do this in the next couple of hours, then I'll retest the results. I'll mount a GoPro camera under the car looking at the pinion angle under full load to make sure that has still proper after the other adjustments have been made. I've mounted the camera at that location before, and the footage was very dramatic and informative. I didn't believe the amount of movement going on with the rear end under race conditions - everything moves, flexes and bounces around. If I knew how to post a short video clip, I would do it. Thank all you guys for the tips and information. I'll report the results when testing is complete. Vector1 - is this the type of alignment you are referring to?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jerry Clayton, yes, the 3rd link is at the upper right hand side of the center section. I'll be checking it out in a short while. How did you know that your final adjustment was correct - that is was straight under full load conditions?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After adjustment of the system, I did a couple of burnouts and the car tracked remarkably well, and I am satisfied. However, the pinion angle is off now, the differential actually goes slightly nose up under load. I've already called a mechanic friend and will be seeing him tomorrow at 3pm for him to adjust the pinion angle. It looks like poor alignment of the rear end was at fault. Thank all you guys for the advice. I sure learned a lot about my Cobra(and this web site) from this experience.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
9"
That's a helpful comment. Why not take the time to explain the significance of 9" instead.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Mine would not do a straight line burnout either. Always wanted to go clockwise. The nature of the beast with a short wheelbase and lots of torque.

For what it's worth my Ford GT does the same thing.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
That's a helpful comment. Why not take the time to explain the significance of 9" instead.
SPF cars do not come with a Ford 9" rear, they come with a ZF Limited Slip. It is understandable that you might ask that considering the fact that you are new to SPF cars, and even though you have one on order. The same poke in the eye would have followed if a new "ERA on order" member had asked the same thing.... <maybe> ... because ERA cars don't come with 9" rears either -- same with CSX cars, Kirkhams, etc. although you could always fab one in, I suppose.

DetroitBill, you need to relax a little bit. This is all just a game and most of us have been playing it for years.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Patrickt: Perhaps I took Detroit Bill's comment differently than you did.

Cashburn posted '9" ', with the 'smiley' indicating 'sarcasm'. I took that as his questioning why someone would have a 9" Ford rear end in their car, especially when he has a Backdraft with an IRS.

My perspective on Detroit Bill's comment was he was merely challenging Cashburn to do more than take a 'cheap shot' and explain his concerns or issues with a 9" live axle. Perhaps, as a purchaser of a car with an IRS, he'd like an informed opinion from someone who has one.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
My perspective on Detroit Bill's comment was...
Hmmm, perhaps you're right. That Cashburn is a tricky devil, though. But you don't tend to hear too many Cobras breaking Ford 9" rears coming off the line. I can't say that's true with some of the other fully independent rears with Jag origins (mine included). With racing slicks, stub axles tend to get twisted relatively easily. If I wanted a Cobra for drag racing only, I wouldn't have my fancy IRS in it.
cycleguy55 likes this.