Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2002, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to mustang man
Not Ranked     
Default Ford dumps CART and IRL ???!!

In a recent article in the Indianapolis Star the head of Ford's racing program, Dan Davis, stated that Ford's departure from open-wheel racing after the 2002 CART season could be a long term deal.

Ford has made it clear that they aren't happy with the normally aspirated small block type engines that both CART and the IRL will make mandatory for the teams to use starting next season. Davis said that the new engine specs aren't the main reason Ford is going to concentrate on NASCAR and NHRA.

"For us, it's not about what we're interested in but what our customers are interested in," he said. "Our data says the NHRA is way ahead of CART and the IRL. You look at open-wheel racing and it's way down there. So we're going to put our money where our customers are."

Edit: Quoted from Drag Racing Online.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure it makes a huge difference in my life...but...

Am I the only one that doesn't care about Nascar or NHRA? I'm not that big into racing (or sports in general), but I can't see why so much emphasis is placed in this country on drag racing and Nascar.

How many people watch 24 hrs at Daytona? How many watch the Daytona 500?

I see it sort of like how soccer can't catch on here. Everyone says it's boring. Boring? No action? Lots of action in Baseball. Lots in Football. (throw ball, catch, get tackled, repeat)

Maybe I'm just rambling.

-steve in nj-
Old 02-27-2002, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: in the search, engine 351 Windsor
Send a message via ICQ to Ken Greene
Not Ranked     

to me the only racing worth watching is Formula 1. where racing is still racing, not 3 hours of adds going around in a circle.
now all racing if fun if you are in the race but thats a different story all together
Old 02-27-2002, 09:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Talking I hardly ever watch sports anyway

Too busy out having fun and playing my own sports. But I would enjoy watching a good road race now and then, if I could somehow follow the cars around the track on camera (like a video feed from the cars) NASCAR? Yuk
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 02-27-2002, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Do we have to have I HATE NASCAR on two seperate threads?

Cranky
Old 02-27-2002, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool No new news!!!

Ford was gonna get out of CART anyway because of the new engine rules.... FYI, So are most other engine manufacturers... Ford has never been in IRL, so wots the deal??? BTW, I don't think CART will be around in 2004... They (CART) are even having to pay for their TV time... The first sign of problems... Engine Manufacturers are dropping, 2nd sign... 3rd sign, all the good teams are moving to IRL.....

Not that I care about eother IRL or CART... Just my $.02

mc spotter

"Real men drive 3400# 800HP stock cars"

spotterjoe

Old 02-27-2002, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default F1 on the way out????

It probably won't be too many more years before F1 ends it run at Indy.Its a novelty now, but the US race fan want's more passing. Probably a second Nascar race at Indy would outdraw F1. Maybe a Bush race would outdraw the Bush league.

Cranky

Real men; what spotter said.
Old 03-05-2002, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA427SC #323, 427 SO, 428 crank, 454 CI, "IM2QWIK"---ERA GT-40 #2043 Ford SVO 302 Weber 48 IDA's 400HP "1 GT 40"
Not Ranked     
Cool WTF is a TnT???

Was up in Vegas for the "real" race over the weekend but need to find out what TnT is before the Bristol fall race... C'mon Cranky...

mc spotter

spotterjoe

Old 03-05-2002, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

McSpotter,
No self respecting Englishman would drink anthing but Tangurey and Tonic.

Even my Italian partner in alcohol consumption and part time Libations Mgr. McHank, is a TnT consumer.

McCranky

Last edited by RACER X #99; 03-05-2002 at 11:52 AM..
Old 03-05-2002, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking Agree!

McCrankster hit the nail on the head. of course we only use Italian limes.

McHank
FFR 1776-II

Last edited by Hank Dondero; 03-05-2002 at 05:10 PM..
Old 03-07-2002, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool Jees!!!

I guess the poor Irishman will be drinking his Bushmills by himself???

No more mc spotter now its O'spotter

O'spotter

spotterjoe

Old 03-13-2002, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to DanElam Send a message via AIM to DanElam
Not Ranked     

Who cares? I used to be a CART fan, but those guy skilled it. As for IRL, I don't want to see them go around in a circle all the time. At least NASCAR has better drama.

Truth is, I don't even care about F-1. That is about money and engineers at least as much as about driving. How many passes do you see 5 min after the start of an F-1 race? Four? Five? Yawn.

Give me road racing, baby! Of course, even there we've got ALMS (Panoz) and CanAm (NASCAR France family) doing dumb things.

Ah well. Let's just go race the cobra!
Old 03-13-2002, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now that Chris Pook has replaced Joe Heitzler, things are looking up for CART. There is still a huge mess to clean up from this past season, but Pook is the man to do it. Yes, some engine manufacturers are dropping out, but others will step up to the plate. It would certainly be a shame to see it go. There is no other series like CART. It has a good mix of oval, road course and street course on tracks all over the world. It's advanced, but it's also not all about the money, as in F1.
Yes, Penske went to IRL, but that will only open the door for more competition. It will take a couple of years to rebuild, but I have a feeling that they'll pull through.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool Pook is the Man!!!

Ike,

If anybody can save CART, its Chris!!! But I think its gonna be a tough job & a long way to get there... (See my post above) I talked to a friend who is an open wheel nut and his consensus is that CART must be strictly road/street courses & not be in conflict with the IRL... He gets a lot of info from Robin Miller...

Just my $.02

O'spotter

spotterjoe

Old 03-23-2002, 09:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Misc Ramblings:
1.Ford isn't pulling out...Cosworth has almost finished development of a IRL/New Cart spec engine, and is shopping Ford to see which division will 'brand' the motor..Ford, Jaguar, etc..May carry different names in the different series--as in Ford in IRL and Mercury in CART, for example. A few of the details can be found in the current AutoWeek and Speed Sport News..
2. I am a RACE fan. I like F1 (enough so that I bought a dish capable of bringing in 'Bernie Vision' for Europe...It is a Pay Per View set up, Malaysia cost about $30, and it is one AWESOME set up. You have a Master Screen with 7 different views that YOU control...I liked riding on the nose of Michael Schumacher's car at Malaysia! You also control commentary--I used BBC for some of the race (pit stops, etc..) but usually ran NO commentator--just that sweet sound of 17000 pneumatically controlled rpm! I also love to see CART races. I love NASCAR races (season ticket holder a Texas Motor Speedway). I love SCCA races. I have grown to love IRL racing now that the motors dont blow up every 20 laps. I lust over ALMS--went to Sebring to see Audi steamroll.
3. Finally, if you open your vistas, you'll find any racing event cool if you give it a chance! I highly reccommend going LIVE! You will find that the more you learn about the sport, the more intriguing it becomes. Yes, even roundy-round NASCAR!