LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2002, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Trans-Am Jim
Not Ranked     
Default "Showdown" Rumor

Heard a rumor from one of my USGP buddies today:

Jeff Gordon and Juan Montoya will face off in a "showdown" of sorts at this years USGP@ Indy. Jeff and Montoya will take turns driving Gordon's #24 Monte, with this years Brickyard 400 race setup, around the oval, 5 laps each. Then they'll both drive Montoya's Wiliams BMW, with last year's USGP race setup, 5 laps each, around the GP road course.
Lowest combined time wins $100,000.

Could be interesting, but of course, it's only a rumor.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,
Who will be the winner when they both crash out each others cars?
Cranky
Old 08-27-2002, 09:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I dunno - I think they both will lose a lot of respect (at least in my book)
This kinda thing is best left with the WWF (or, if one prefers a better racing analogy, Humpy Wheeler)
Old 08-27-2002, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to DanElam Send a message via AIM to DanElam
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb No-brainer

Gordon has no shot! The F1 car has so much more at its disposal and Montoya can drive 10/10ths. 9/10s in an F1 car is more than 9/10 in a Winston Cup car.

Gordon commented on this a few weeks ago and indicated that he is just excited about getting to get in the F1 car.

Still, it will be entertaining.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe they need to re-evaluate the NASROC, er, IROC series. Started out in Carrera's with multi national drivers and series represented and has degenerated into a NASCAR clone on ovals with nobody but cup drivers (and Al Unser Jr) with a chance to win.

How about one race in the current IROC configuration on a high speed oval (NASCAR),a street circuit with the same cars (Trans-Am/Sportscars), a road course in some type of open wheel car (something like a F5000/IRL car), and how about a dirt race with a NorthEast Dirt Modified. Then we'll see who has the hair and who doesn't.

D
Old 08-28-2002, 12:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Who has the hair and who doesn't? Ha ha, guess that leaves out this going bald player.......

And just when I was getting warmed up

Ernie
Old 08-28-2002, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Be real intersting to see what Montoya does in a 3400 lb. car with no tires and no brakes. (relatively speaking of course)

I can see Gordon braking the go cart too soon and Montoya not braking the racecar soon enough.

Will not be placing any bets on this.
Cranky
Old 08-28-2002, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think the interest would be great for American Open Wheel Racing. If it happens, I will watch.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #770, Stroked 351W (393 cubes) w/ Tremec TKO-600, 3.27 Torsen locker, 'Hi-Tech' Blue w/ White Stripes, Wilwoods, Bilstein coil overs...and a big ear-to-ear grin!
Not Ranked     
Talking Sorry....this is NOT going to be a contest!

They need to race the SAME vehicle...and not one either one has ever driven before. I'm thinkin' something like a Motorized Bar Stool, a go cart, a powered razor scooter, or something like that. Let's see how good a DRIVER they actually are. I think Montoya would win in a contest as this one was described, because he's more used to the F1....and I'm thinkin' NASCAR set-ups may be a little easier to drive.

Bottom line...take 'em BOTH out of their normal environment, let them run the exact same car... Jeff gets out and Juan gets in.... and then let's compare times.
Hell, make it a Yugo or a Trabant....but get them out of their comfort level before you compare.
WARNING: The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily represent those of the management, editors, or owners. We welcome differing opinions, and recognize our responsibility to offer differing views. May cause drowsiness, restlessness, or irritability. Do not operate heavy machinery while using this product. Void in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, or where prohibited, licensed, or regulated by law. We reserve the right to limit quantities. Offer good while supplies last. No substitutions allowed. Please observe posted speed limits. Professional driver on closed course. Do not try this at home. Please wear your seatbelt at all times. Close cover before striking. Use at own risk. Please dispose of properly. Drink responsibly. Prolonged exposure to vapors has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Do not use this product of you are pregnant, or plan on becoming pregnant. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and inhaling fumes can be dangerous. Always wear safety glasses. In case of eye contact, flush with water and seek immediate medical attention. For occasional use only as directed. Avoid prolonged skin contact. Discontinue use if rash develops. If symptoms persist for more than three days, seek professional medical attention. Hearing protection required beyond this point. Danger: Hot surfaces. Use as directed. Proceed at own risk. Caution: Filling may be hot. Please don't litter. Actual results may vary. It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner other than as intended. Do not use this product if you have an enlarged prostate, or have difficulty urinating.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The following is a recent list of all Cart, IRL, F1 drivers who have jumped in a Winston cup stock car and beatin the good ole boys.

Any questions,
Cranky
Old 08-28-2002, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Have to see what C. Fittipaldi does in 2004. I would bet it is hard to beat the NASCAR boys. You can almost see the "boys club" exclusivity when they run IROC. All the NASCAR guys stick together and make it difficult for the other to draft, pass, etc. Should be interesting.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default No showdown this year

According to Jeff Gordon, this past Fri Night "at the track" there will be no showdown this year. He did not give details.
RD
Old 09-01-2002, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

List of recent "good ole boys" who done good in CART, IRL, F1

So what does that prove?

And what about Al Unser Jr in IROC? Does pretty good for an effete open wheeler. Even DE sr had a hard time with him.

McFEz
Old 09-01-2002, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I read about something like that in the Indianapolis newspaper. Looks like someone is just trying to start trouble.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

McFez,
My list proves that just because one is an expert in one form of racing does not make that person any better than than sombody else in a different form of racing. Same as your list.Pretty stupid to even argue over who is the best driver. They all are better than any of us no matter what they are driving. Now if you want argue who is the best Nascar driver or who is the best F1 driver. Let's go!

Nascar. Jeff Gordon and I ain't even a Gordon fan
F1, Schumacher, either one I guess

RD
Old 09-02-2002, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exactly the point, my good man. Racing today is light years beyond the good old days when people like AJ, Mario, Pearson, etc could cross over from Indy to Daytona to Lemans. Far to specialized to be consistantly competitive in 2 varied series. But a driver is a driver, and there are still several that can run in anything put under them. I think Jeffy is one, and JPM is another. Just have to find a way to move them from their main rides, to equal out the learning curve a bit. Now Schummi, thats a whole 'nother story. His learning curve is about 89* straight up!

A guy with a 1* learning curve
McFEz

BTW, Thats McFEz with a CAPITAL E
Old 09-03-2002, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cranky asked:
The following is a recent list of all Cart, IRL, F1 drivers who have jumped in a
Winston cup stock car and beatin the good ole boys.

Any questions?
Cranky

Cranky:

I'm gonna put this ex-IRL guy next to #1 on yer list:

Tony Stewart -

Last edited by Trans-Am Jim; 09-04-2002 at 06:15 AM..
Old 09-03-2002, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And I'll put this guy next to #2:

Ex-CART guy Robbie Gordon

Last edited by Trans-Am Jim; 09-04-2002 at 06:16 AM..