Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   All Racing Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-racing-talk/)
-   -   Beaverun PA Open track/driving school (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-racing-talk/59810-beaverun-pa-open-track-driving-school.html)

RACER X #99 12-17-2004 06:00 PM

Beaverun PA Open track/driving school

Update.........1/21/05 Slots are filling up fast(I guess all my preaching is paying off) if you want to run this event I suggest you register right away.
RD

May 12, 13 2005, Apex Performance Driving school will be holding it's annual Open track/Driving School at the beautiful 1.5 mile road course at Beaverun PA just north of Pittsburg.

This is one of the most challenging new courses in the country but has plenty of runoff space and no Armco to damage your car.

Here is a link to the track, http://www.beaverun.com/

and also a link to Apex http://www.apexperformancedriving.com/2005%20Events.htm

Most of the gang from Club Cranky attends this event and it has become one of our favorite tracks.:)

If you are thinking of trying Open Track for the first time, I can't think of a better track to get started.

Hope to see some nubies this year,

Cranky:3DSMILE:

mrmustang 12-18-2004 03:24 AM

If I still have a car by then, I'm in.

Bill S.

BlueRooster 12-18-2004 05:36 AM

Can Club Cranky do a Pocono this year? I would like to learn with you guys this year, but driving 5 hours is a little much for the first time. If you would lower your standards for just one trip, I think I can promise 4 or 5 Cobras that you have never run with. It just may be the way for you guys to gain more interest in your cause, building larger future crowds on your Watkins Glen trips(which are over 5 hours away from around here). Whaddya think can we pick a date? or at least discuss it?

Dane

John McMahon 12-18-2004 08:11 AM

Dane,

5 hours??? we do it in 4 with 10K lbs behind us!!! A Cobra should make it in 3!

Personally I think the Glen is a much better track to learn on, I did, screw the drive. Folks will probably do an informal, last minute Pocono thing if it happens. Its really not part of our normal schedule since there are much better tracks to run on (No NASCAR banks and transitions).

Crank,

If I'm working and ain't honeymoonin', I'm there.

RACER X #99 12-18-2004 08:32 AM

Dane I sent you an e-mail.%/

klayfish 12-20-2004 03:59 AM

I've got the Apex date on my calendar.

Dane,
I certainly don't have the experience of the rest of the Club Cranky crew, but I'll probably wind up at Pocono again once or twice next year, because I live within 2 hours of it. Let me know and maybe we'll hook up there.

Steve

BlueRooster 12-20-2004 04:57 AM

Sounds good Steve. Im looking forward to it. Do you go with PDA? If so, maybe we can shoot for June/July. The Mrs. is due in May and Ill probably have my hands full. Im sure ERA649, Chaplin and Turnpike Boy will want to go too.

Cranky, I recieved your email. Dont get me wrong, I want to go to WG, but I dont think its the best track for my first time. BR maybe, but the the glen makes me a little nervous. I have driven the car to LRP. That was about two and a half hours away. The car loves the highway so the drive wasnt a problem, I just thought it was a good 5 hour trip...which is pushin' it. 3 hours is not bad...do you airlift your cars there??

Dane

klayfish 12-20-2004 05:52 AM

Dane,
Congrats on the upcoming arrival!! Yes, you will have your hands busy. My 9 month old son never gives us a moments rest!! :D

Yes, I run at Pocono with PDA. They are a good organization. I'm sure Cranky mentioned in his e-mail that Pocono is a crappy track, and he's right. I haven't gotten to drive on WG yet. I went up there twice this year and didn't get a single lap in...talk about frustrating, but I rode with Cranky and my instructor around the track. It is fast, but looks to be a ton of fun. If you can get there, do it. I fully intend to give it another shot this year. Pocono is kinda bumpy in the wrong places and just isn't a great track. But for me, like you, it's close and I'll take seat time as I can get it. I ain't picky. Most of the Club Cranky crew trailers to and from the track. If you can do that, that's the best solution. I know that Turnpike Boy wants to run for sure. We'll pick a date and go.

Steve

John McMahon 12-20-2004 05:59 AM

Dane,

Don't worry about The Glen, it looks intimidating, but if you drive using your head (Leave the big balls at home!) you'll be fine.

I've been doing that track since 1997 with no problems.

I find the hardest part at Pocono is navigating the transitions on the banked turns.

I think you'll love Beaver Run. Kind of a northern version of VIR south course.

OhBuoy 12-20-2004 08:55 AM

Is a single roll bar acceptable for Beaver Run? What are the other safety requirements?

Tom

Joe Viola 12-20-2004 09:31 AM

I'm in. Just finished my ERA #692 and looking to get some track time in next season. Please keep me in mind if your planning any group trips. Will travel!!!! Thanks:) :)

RACER X #99 12-20-2004 09:51 AM

Open track junkies

Joe.

You can find all the Northeast track talk at www.clubcranky.com

We have two CT. members right now. Both are ERA guys.

Cranky:MECOOL:

OhBuoy 12-30-2004 11:52 AM

Will my car pass the safety inspection with a single hoop roll bar?

RACER X #99 12-30-2004 11:57 AM

single hoop

I would say yes on the rollbar but check with Bob Austin at Apex

http://www.apexperformancedriving.com/2004%20Events.htm

casaleenie 01-09-2005 08:46 AM

I'm reading the APEX school criteria and they're calling for rollbar and five-point for student and instructor..

mrmustang 01-09-2005 09:37 AM

The student will go out in the instructors car........They will then set up a lead follow program if the instructor is confident in his student. grasp of what is being shown......

Bill S.

Quote:

Originally posted by casaleenie

I'm reading the APEX school criteria and they're calling for rollbar and five-point for student and instructor..

klayfish 01-10-2005 04:02 AM

casaleenie,
C'mon out to BeaveRun. It'll be my first time on that track too, so we'll be in the same group.

Steve

John McMahon 01-10-2005 04:29 AM

yowza

Steve,

Its a fun little track with one hell of a caurosel. The blind apex in turn #7 will keep you coming back for more.

klayfish 01-10-2005 05:26 AM

Re: yowza

Quote:

Originally posted by John McMahon

Steve, The blind apex in turn #7 will keep you coming back for more.
Oh great...so if I spin out at the exit of 7, at least I won't know who it was that ran me over. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Steve

BlueRooster 01-10-2005 03:49 PM

OK already, I'll go. Where do I sign up.

Dane