Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default SAAC Regional Open Track July 22-23

Registration is now open for this 5th annual event. Centrally located. Tons of track time. Best open track bang for the buck.

Downloadable registration & info:
http://www.mustangclubofcentraliowa....flyer_2006.pdf

Track info:
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/default.asp
Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

I've been cautioned by a seasoned driver that there will be a lot of high-performance cars driven by low-performance drivers during open track. Anyone have an opinion?

The North course at VIR is a great driver's track even though the full course would be better. The North course eliminates most of the high-speed back straight and neat up-hill winding section by turning off right after the bridge. Should be interesting, what with a wide range of driving skills. Bring a lot of duct tape.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 06-02-2006, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Build it and they will come...

This event is in Iowa at the Mid America Motorplex, not Virginia. You may have confused it with the SAAC National Meet this year, which is at VIR. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What date is the National meet at VIR ?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SAAC 31 at VIR

http://www.saac.com/eventsAndConventions/saac31.html
Old 06-05-2006, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

speed220mph
I agree that the SAAC National is not the place to go if you measure the event by the amount and quality of open track time. A few short, pricey sessions full of drivers with more money than skill who follow each other around like a pack of sheep.

But, on the other hand, there is no doubt that the experience is still worth it. I have attended several SAAC National events over the years, and they are still the best place to go if you cherish the cars and the history of Shelby American. The people, the cars, the tracks they choose are among the best. There's much more to a SAAC event than just track time.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

DougD: As you said, "There's much more to a SAAC event than just track time." That's why I'll be there. My track time will be at other events. Track time at SAAC would have been tacked on to my other activities, like drooling over all the neat cars, looking up old friends and driving to and from the motel in one of my cars.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 06-05-2006, 07:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Speed220,
While it is true that the SAAC conventions open track sessions do not offer optium or quality track time it does provide a venue for beginners to get a taste of track time. Most Cobra owners will not put their cars at risk at typical drivers school/open track events where the speeds are much higher but it will give most the opportunity to feel the site and sounds of what it was like back in the day.
I can think of some other events that are more risky to partisipants and spectators.
Even if one does not partisipate in the open track their is no other Cobra event that offers the car watching opportunities of SAAC. More real Cobras and Shelbys than any other event.
RD
Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As usual, this thread has strayed from the topic, which was to invite drivers to participate in a regional open track weekend. First timers to hardened veterans, you will all be hooked if you attend this event. A wide, safe track, Shelbys, Mustangs, Cobras and Ford GTs flying around the track, a Trans Am Reunion and race. Oh the sights, the sounds...see the first post for links to this event.