10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 08-02-2008, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

I just checked my four vehicles and 3 of them had Frame oil filters. I swapped them for Baldwins. Two of the three Frames buckled torsionally when removing. Glad I got them off. The Baldwins are very stout and woul never buckle in this manner.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Whos putting on the filters and can't READ??

rattlesnakepete Pete I have seen this problem for almost 30 years. Dumba$$ lube people can't read the SIMPLE instructions on the box or filters. Tighen my hand until it stops free spinning then 1/4 turn with hand and you are set. The other thing is not oiling the gasket. That rubber glues to the mount over time and this is way the filters all crush when trying to remove. If the filter crushed with a cup, band wrench, or strap wrench, the the installer doesn't know what he is doing and needs to attend class 101 oil filter school. I have seen guys do this to pi$$ off the next guy who has to screwdriver or chisle off the old one. I have been lucky with catching the buttheads, getting the boss to address this problem. No body likes and @$$ crewing from the boss. Rick L.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF Brock Coupe #88, Keith Craft 427w
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxx1 View Post
Wix Racing filter for me....
Same for me - 5122R
Doug
Old 10-21-2008, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Oil filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
Ant I agree with you on some of the things. The guys around here that dirt track run 40-50 microns in Omni filters. Some of the older guys are running Wix and have no problem with them either. It's all how much is in the pocket. My only concern is airation of the oil. Depending on which oil wieght, sythesic like Mobil1, or Amsoil, and how bad the track is for dirt in the air for how small you can go with micron range and have a small pressure lose. I run a small fram 3780or 3870 on my car. It's a peanut. So far it's takes the 135 psi for cold starts and seams to have good flow for racing. When I go dry sump, I will go with a 1 1/2 oil filter for this motor. I do stay away from any dual filters that have paper and cloth in them, Like some of the Frams and STP's. I will say that the oil from these filters seamed to stay cleaner longer. I did think there is a pressure drop with them. I have always run HV or HVHP oil pumps with a min of 60 psi at 2,000 rpms on any of my motors. I also have started to add accusumps to all my trucks for peroilers. What are the jet boat racers using down there? Rick L.
Rick, Do any of the race guys run the stainless screen cannister filter shown earlier in RedCSX1's post? I am going with a 1-1/2-12 remote filter adapter on my dry sump system and will either run a Wix 51222R or a reusable screen filter as they appear to have the flow and good filtering!

The 1960's rocked!
Old 10-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

I've had my Cobra for 8 years now. During that entire time I have used the Mobil1 M-301 filter. Last week I changed to a Moroso racing filter. The micron rating on the Moroso is 27 microns, the micron rating on the Mobil1 is about 10 or 11 microns. I'm getting just a little more pressure (3-5 PSI) both at idle and at running speeds. I thought there would be a bigger difference. I'll probably leave the Moroso on for the winter and go back to the Mobil1 filter in the spring.

I also changed from Mobil1 5W-30 to Redline 5W-30 at the same time so the comparison is somewhat shakey. The published data shows the Mobil1 5W-30 to be just slightly thicker however.

Bob