Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     
Default FOTA calls Formula One quits Racing series

Source: MotorSports.com

FOTA calls Formula One quits Racing series

Date
2009-06-18
By J.K. Thompson - Motorsport.com

Throwing down another gauntlet onto a course so littered it's time for a safety car, the eight united teams of Formula One Teams Association announced Thursday they will set up a separate racing series in 2010. The move is the latest in an escalating feud between FOTA and the sanctioning body of Formula One, the International Automobile Federation (FIA), and one that stands to tear the sport apart.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=333072
Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

The only existing teams to actually sign on so far, for next year are Williams and Force India. F1 claims that Ferrari must race next year whether they want to or not. Ferrari claims that this is based on some out dated old agreement between them and F1. It sounds like the lawyers are going to be making big bucks on this.

An interesting development is that 15 new teams applied, and 3 were accepted for the F1 2010 season. The new teams are from Spain, Britain, and the US. Cosworth will be providing engines for all 3 newcomers and this marks Cosworth's return to F1 after being away for a few years.

I have attended the Canadian Grand Prix for quite a few years and I was very disappointed when Canada was dropped from the 2009 schedule. The talk is that we are going to get the race back again in 2010 but I am beginning to wonder what F1 will be like if all of the top teams drop out.

By the way, the Canadian Grand Prix was replaced this year by a race in Turkey where only 47,000 people showed up. Bernie lost a bundle so now he is looking to come back to Montreal.

Wayne
Old 06-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF - 351W, 944 non-turbo
Not Ranked     

F1 racing is over-rated. It's expensive to attend a race and as best I can tell from watching it on TV they don't allow passing except during pit stops.

Living here in Connecticut (the land of sucko weather) I have access to the Whelen Modifieds, the NHRA, the IRL and NASCAR. Given the choice I would attend any of their events before I would attend an F1 event. Next week the wife and I are off to Richmond to see an IRL race (plus others) - ticket price $35! How can you beat that? The following week they're at Watkins Glen. Both events offer garage access, life is good.

Bob
Old 06-19-2009, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Six cars running in a F1 race? Sounds like it's time for them to come back to Indianapolis!!!

I hope Eccelstone and Mosely choke on their money. They ruined one of the best sports around.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Absolutely correct! F1 racing is one of the best events around, sans all the political bs. F1 should be unlimited, technically and mechanically. Although some balancing is required to avoid 1 dominant team spending the others into oblivion (it is called racing after all) the current crew of Mad Max and Bernie are killing the sport for their own financial interests. It seems as if FOTA has started the game of chicken...now lets see who blinks first. Also, remember that Bernie needs the $ for his divorce!
I personally hope FOTA pulls out and sets up a true sporting organization again, and that the FIA comes on board. Letting BE become omniponent was a huge mistake for F1, FIA, and FOTA IMHO.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Believe the premise for F1 is to have leading edge technology, without restrictive regulations, not be just another race series. With the current direction, the F1 race cars might just as well adopt the COT ( Car of Tomorrow/Today ) approach which would remove the attractiveness of F1.

Not sure about Canada, but the draw to the new tracks/countries has been with significant Government financial assistance, which the US does not have. Appears fan support and attendance at the newer tracks/countries is not the primary nor one of the objectives.

Even with the success of this years F1 Teams, a race series without Ferrari, McLaren , etc will quickly lose it's appeal. If that had been the case this year, surely the fans, etc would be stating that the only reason the Teams are winning is the absence of Ferrari etc.

The F1 organizations in control ought to very carefully study what happened with the multiple series of open wheel racing in the US, when there was IRL and CART series, both suffered.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

F1 has almost always had a bunch of politcal garbage. That is what happens with humans when you get to the top.

Last years points championship and final race was extremely exciting. I dislike the bs but at times it is one of the most incredible autoracing series. The gains in peformance they make each year or even between races is nothing short of incredible. And pretty much the worst driver in F1 is hands down superior to the best among other road racing series.

I really like F1 even with all of the bs that ernie and is pals engage in. I hope to see it continue and evolve.