Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     
Question Working on Brake ducts do you have any

Well after having the brakes fade a bit at Hallet we allways bleed and install the newest Willwood fluid also, I have been considering Ducts for the brakes on the Daytona does anyone have pics of thers. This is our first goround with these so im just taking a stab at the design. Thanks in advance for any advise or help ...WB3

I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

That looks pretty much like what we do to the SCCA cars. One makes a real difference, with two you should be in good shape.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bill have you looked into small fans

WildBill3 Bill have you looked into runn small electric fans? They sell them in 3 and 4" size, draw about 7-8 amps and flow in the 220-280 cfm range. The boating world sell them for about 22-25.00 dollars. A relay and switch is all you need. 1 hose will work great to each side of the rear brakes or front brakes. If it's front brakes, can you pull air from the radiator outlet or small ducts under the nose of the car. Think like nascar for roadracing setups with all the hoses and fans, just less will do the same job. Rick L.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

brake ducts? awcomeon, brake fade is just another exciter and adrenaline boost! where's the fun if you're not going as fast as you can and not knowing when the brakes are going to leave you?

use as large a hose as possible, there are insulators for some of the calipers available also.

i had an incident of brake loss going down the hill at hallett into turn 2, will never forget that the rest of my life, i feel your pain. this is the point when the right foot develops a mind of its own and starts pumping like its stepping on snakes.

good luck.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Exclamation Stepping and stepping and more stepping!

lol, yea thats it stepping on snakes,That is an exiting track when your not shure if your going to have them.Thanks Rick I knew ther were fans but had no idea were to get them.Im starting with the front now then the rear, good ideas thanks guys it doesnt look like we will make it to Iawa this weekend for the Mustang club track days soo its getting ready for RNG @Gateway I guess.Thanks again WB3
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK LAKE View Post
Bill have you looked into run small electric fans? ... can you pull air from the ... small ducts under the nose of the car.
Rick, I got it... you just combine the two like this?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the quacker will get stuck in my rotor lol!!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Ouch Ouch Hot Sand
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts w/302 Twin Turbocharged....Under Construction!!
Send a message via AIM to EarlsflyinCobra
Not Ranked     

You can also check EBAY as some of the racecar brake duct fans are listed on there from time to time. I've been thinking about using them on my build for the brakes and to route to the turbo's.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's the both ducts on the car I put some shiney on the drivers side :-)

Old 07-17-2009, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #985 Custom Pro/ Street Race Car, full cage, dry sump 427W and G Force T-56 Fully Street Legal!!
Not Ranked     

BRAKE DUCTS!! WHAT!!

Brakes only slow you down Mr Bill

Only 11 weeks to go, looking forward to sharing at track with you again.
Cheers,
Richard
Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster; 351W
Not Ranked     

Your work is nice but the incoming air is pointed directly at the face of the rotor which will lead to the inward side being cooler than the outward thus causing premature thermal cracking. The better setups (from what i have read) are directed to the very center of the rotor - not the face. Forcing air to the inside and through the vents will cool more evenly. Take a look at the attached pic. Also, you might consider one duct to the rotor and one to the caliper. Cooling the caliper will help with the boiling too. What spindle are you running?
Attached Images

Last edited by Curt C.; 07-17-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

O man thats a good picture,Thats what I have been hoping for.When I pointed the hose at the rotor I thought about building in a directional channel inside forcing more air to the middle from what I can see those thoughts were correct Im going to restart my duct work after seeing the pic thanks for posting thats cool stuff ;-)