Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Frustrated with my brakes

I replaced my MC over the winter with a smaller one ..1" vs the older 1 1/8th Corvette MC and changed the pedal ratio from 5.25/1 to 7/1..... I have way to much pedal travel and the car isn't stopping any better...the brakes won't lock up. The car has GM metrics up front and explorer brakes in the rear, any thoughts? I thought about adding a 7" booster,my current MC is for manual brakes and not sure if a booster will work with it.
Jon
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     

Hey Saltshaker,
I have the same problem. My master cylinder is below the calipers and I have been told that a check valve in the brake line will solve the problem. As I understand it, the master cylinder will not have to push as much brake fluid into the lines to push the brake pads against the rotors. Still waiting to see.
steve
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR3542K, 347 C. I., EFI, T-5, Miata Front Sway Bar, 3 Link, Red with White Stripes
Not Ranked     

If you have a check valve in the line, how does it relieve the fluid back to the master cylinder to release the brakes? What am I missing?
FFR3542K, 347, Holley Sniper EFI, T-5, 4 Wheel Discs, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Salty: Contact one of the major brake vendors such as Willwood or Tilton with the diameter of the pistons in the calipers, Rotor diameters, vehicle weight and pedal ratio and they will size the M/C for you. They may even suggest the original M/C with your new pedal ratio. What you have done is ease the effort by reducing the imparted sroke on the M/C but then you also reduced the amount of fluid being moved by reducing the bore diameter. The two combined changes made the pedal much softer but at the sacrifice of less effective brakes.

This will get you going in the right direction: Mark Williams Enterprises - Brake Technical Information
This company is more Drag Race oriented, so keep that in mind, there are others.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 04-21-2011 at 12:58 AM..
Old 04-21-2011, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I had spoken with Wilwood and at their suggestion used the current combination. I'm going to bleed the system again this weekend and see if that helps...my concern is that I still can't lock the brakes up!
Jon
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Being able to lock the brakes up!!!!!!OK, what do you have for tires? How much anti dive is in your front suspension? do you push in the clutch when you brake??What pads are you running front and back?? Do you warm them up before trying max braking?

What does any of those things have to do with locking up the brakes???
Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA #690, FRPP 427 Boss engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull81 View Post
If you have a check valve in the line, how does it relieve the fluid back to the master cylinder to release the brakes? What am I missing?
I consider check valves mandatory if the m/c is not at the highest point of the braking system. They keep most of the fluid in the calipers and cylinders for less pedal travel and much better brakes. They are not true check valves as you are thinking about them. Disk brakes use a 2 lb. and drums a 10 lb. These are the pressures that must be exceeded to allow fluid to return to the m/c, so as I said not a true check valve. Drums require a higher rating as the springs pull the shoes back where disks only have the pressure of the turning rotor.
Kirkham #690 289 FIA
Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley Roadster,428FE, 2X4's; 1966 GT 350 Clone; 1968 Shelby GT-350
Not Ranked     

Yeah................What HE said!
Old 04-26-2011, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     
Default No sympathy here...

You call me and waste my time having me figure out what you need to make it work, then turn around and do something else that doesn't work....
and your frustrated...
Good luck.
02 Super Duty 7.3L
Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull81 View Post
it's not a check valve, it's a residual pressure valve.
And as long as the master is above the calipers you shouldn't need one.
Exception would be drum brakes. The residual pressure is needed to keep the shoe return springs from compressing the wheel cylinders piston back into it's bore.
Wilwood Residual Pressure Valves - SummitRacing.com
02 Super Duty 7.3L
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Same Type Problems

I also have a A&C kit. I tried the manual master for the vette, way to big of a bore. I stood on the pedal and barely got it stopped. Switched to the power setup that A&C suggested in the manual and love it. One toe on the pedal will stop my car on a dime at moderate speed. Never tried high speed braking. But I feel it would do fine. I didn't check pedal ratio or any of that, just went with Joe's instructions.

Man I hope convincor is joking.

Joey
Old 04-27-2011, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Saltshaker,

To clarify,By reducing the bore diameter of the M/C you will incease the line pressure at any given pedal pressure, however it will take more pedal stroke to achieve that pressure. This is benificial to a point, as it improves you ability to modulate the brake force, provided you have enough stroke length.

It sounds like you’re on the right track as far as the parts and pedal ratio go.
Do you have braided lines?
Are the F&R pads the same compound?
Bleeding can be a huge pain in the arse.
Did you bench bleed the M/C?
I pressure bleed from the wheels back towards the M/C to get all the major air out. Then finish with a few "pump the pedal" cycles for good measure.
I use a big syringe and clear vinyl tubing, just make sure to watch the fluid level in the reservoir.

Jason

Last edited by D-CEL; 04-27-2011 at 07:35 AM..
Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great questions: the front and rear pads are different,the master has now been bench bleed and the brakes seem to be working much better
Jon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: