Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-06-2011, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     
Default NYS Registration Process

Hi Folks

Just a quick update in case anyone is going to do this soon.
I have recieved my NYS issued VIN# today for my A&C Cobra.

The process so far has been very simple.

On the A&C, I made a few changes in parts
1) I used all light kits from the Factory Five roadster. That way I could ensure that I had matching DOT# for all paperwork. THe lucas lights normally provided do not have DOT#s and you need these for NYS paperwork

2) I added some simple reverse lights from NAPA. You need a reverse light# for the NYS paperwork.

3) I made a simple felt/foam cover for the dashboard and the visors. NYS says you need padded visors/dash.

4) I put in the factory five heater/defroster kit because NYS requires some kind of heater. I have heard you can use a simple clip-on electric defroster, but I wanted heat for fall drives.

5) I did go with electric windshield wipers. Not the lucas ones, but a lucas-like kit from Specialty Power Windows. I had to fabricate my own wiper mounts, but that could be related to how I installed it to begin with. I have heard you can go with a clip on manual wiper.

I was assigned (asked for the Binghamton/Kirkwood) office for the field inspection. I have heard one other cobra that was approved at Binghamton so I asked for it. Process took about 1 hour.

They put the car up a lift and looked for numbers on receipts/engines/transmissions and other high dollar value parts. Seemed like they were mostly looking to ensure all parts were paid for.
Key pieces of paperwork were
MSO certificate, reciept for rear end, transmission, engine components, and the receipts from A&C for the body/kit/etc. I purchased an engine block and had a hand written note from the seller on this. That seemed to be fine. They did check the block to get its serial number.

They then generate a NYS vin number something like NYS123456. Looks kind of odd.

They put a small yellow sticker on the frame/dash or some other fixed part and the sticker shows the VIN#.

I then had to fax a weight certificate and the signed VIN form back to albany. Tom Noonan (see other threads) sent me back a VS-103 form within an hour.

The VS-103 basically says that the car is approved and the next steps which are
1) Trailer it to a shop for a 'standard' NYS inspection to get an inspection sticker
2) Get some insurance
3) Take the reciepts, weight certificate, NYS inspection receipt, and insurance receipt to the DMV
4) It says I can get plates right at the DMV.

The car is titled as a "2011 Custom"
Emissions has to be related to the first year of manufacture of the engine. I have a 429/460 from 1968 - so I just need a PCV valve.

So I *think* within a week or two, I should have my insurance/etc/etc lined up and get some plates.

I just figured I would post in case anyone was interested in a current NYS Registration story.

- Steve
Old 05-06-2011, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the great info. I may be moving full time into my vacation home in the Adirondacks. I registered my scratch built Cobra in my current state of NH. They put a vin on it and registered it as a 65 Cobra. Do you know how NY would treat this car if I wanted to register it there? (I know that they will want sales tax on it!!!!) John
Old 05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

I'm sure NYS will want their cut of sales tax.
I would imagine that as long as you had some kind of similar documentation for the engine/transmission/major kit parts (maybe invoices for the metal or glass you used?) then you should be ok. Seems like they just want some traceability. That guy Tom Nonnan at the NYS Field Investigation office should probably be able to help you.

Post a picture! From scratch build!! Would love to see it
Old 05-11-2011, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just as a follow up to this story.
I have completed the process in NYS at have my plates and my cobra is now 100% legal for driving!

A few small issues at the DMV which were

1) Make sure the name that you put on the form that fill out for NYS when applying for a VIN number matches exactly the name on your insurance card. For example, my application said STEVEN M. SPANO --> insurance card said STEVE SPANO.

This was easily fixed with a 5 minute call to insurance company and they faxed updated cards right to the DMV

2) When I recieved my VIN# from the state, Tom Noonan faxed me the approval form so I didnt have to wait for the original in the mail. The DMV office said that they would not accept the faxed copy. I was nice and smiled and thanfully the lady at the DMV said she would call Tom to verify. She reached Tom and he said it was fine and he checked my numbers to authorize her. I think I got lucky here...

I also had to get a standard NYS inspection process. This was very simple.
I had it done along with front end alignment.

THe shop that did the inspection checked a few minor things on the Cobra. Basically to make sure that the lights and blinkers worked. Note they did not check or ask for reverse light. I did not have a reverse light on the Cobra at the time either.

The NYS custom assigned VIN# was 'manually entered' into the computer system (which presumably talks to some NYS database) and the VIN number was accepted as a custom VIN and bypassed all emissions checks/etc. Note this could also be related to the engine which was from 1968 and I made sure that they knew this when I had my VIN assigned.

So...I got my plates and have put about 80 miles on my Cobra. A few small issues related to ignition timing above 3000 rpm and maybe a small clearance issue with the driveshaft. But nothing major and it is quite fun so far!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On the insurance topic...
I called my local carrier and I don't think they had ever heard of a custom vin and custom/homebuilt vehicle. They were going to call their main office and see what they could do.

I then called Classic Auto Insurance which advertises on the forum.
They knew exactly what I was talking about and faxed me the forms.
Took about 1 hour and had insurance cards faxed to me.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Glad to see you are finally on the road!

Tom in Albany walked me through the registration process several years ago. He was a great help. From your description, it looks like nothing has changed in the VIN/inspection/registration process over the last several years.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we will have some more Cobra owners coming into the upstate NY area :-)
Jim
Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

What if you don't know the year of your engine? And I've had it down to the bare block, believe me there are no numbers on it.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would think there should be some kind of casting number on the block somewhere that you could then use to decode a date from. In any event, I think NYS would look for some number of some kind to at least link it to your VIN
Old 05-14-2011, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kellogg View Post
Glad to see you are finally on the road!

Tom in Albany walked me through the registration process several years ago. He was a great help. From your description, it looks like nothing has changed in the VIN/inspection/registration process over the last several years.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully we will have some more Cobra owners coming into the upstate NY area :-)
Jim
Here is a question for Jim and others related to registration and inspection in NYS. I've had my car registered for the last 3 years and it went thru the inspection process with no problem for the last 2.
This year I go to get it inspected at the same garage and it isnt recognized as a 'custom'. So all the questions appear related to emissions and computer hookup etc.. which is doesnt have. My garage is in the process of talking to NYS inspections to get it straightened out.
Ever hear of something like this happening?
Any ideas why it would be OK previous years and not this year? Should I be talking to Albany (Tom ?) or local DMV? Is NYS 'registration' dept separate from 'inspection' dept?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2011, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MKIII #887, drive it a lot!
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Kellogg
Not Ranked     

Steve,
I would wait and see what answer your garage gets from Albany DMV. If there is a problem, make sure your garage gets the name of who they talked to in Albany, then you should call Tom.

Shouldn't be a problem. Make sure your insurance and registration are current.

If you still have problems, call me with the VIN and I will call from my shop and see if I can help.
(w) M-F 607-796-9600

Keep us posted!
Jim Kellogg

Last edited by Jim Kellogg; 05-14-2011 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: added phone number. duh.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was going to suggest tipping the guy doing the inspection :P
Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Inspection

Not sure about New York, but the inspection station here in LA. told me that a new car here is exempt from emissions for the first two years of ownership. 3rd year requires all tests. He told me that this is due to dealer warranties fixing any type of check engine light situation. I didn't check this any further. Just a question you might throw at the inspection guy.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ac/428 pi
Not Ranked     

I was told your reg would be the year of the car with the letter R after it. so MY would be 1967R

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: