Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C,351W
Not Ranked     
Default Run at Watkins Glen

With almost 500 miles on the odometer, pretty much worn out, what do you do with you newly finished cobra?

How about some "paced laps" at Watkins Glen?

Pretty sure now I want to start a new profession. Think I need to figure out the funding.

Wish I had more time in the car to have a better idea of what the car is really capable of. You just dont get that good of an idea on the streets.

Some interesting findings...

I have heard and read all about how evil these cars can be. My findings were quite the opposite of this. I kept wondering how much more I could push it before it got loose. I was thinking another 100hp would be great. If you are thinking I just drove it like an old lady that could not be further from the truth either. After 3 laps I checked the tires, all 4 hot and sticky looking like someone was grinding on them with 10 grit sanding paper. Running a buck fifteen up the back straight the car felt well planted in the track and never gave me the feeling of the front end getting light and pushing around. Brakes were good through out and seemed very capable of of knocking off speed in a hurry.

Bottom line, drove it to the track on a beautiful fall day, ripped around the track for a bit on a beautiful fall day, and drove it back home on a beautiful fall day. Good Times... My wife mentioned that this must be a perfect example of Cobra Weather..

With that being said I think now I should get rid of the thing and start building a racing version. One can dream...

Aaron
Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     

Aaron
Great description of your run. Sound like you had a lot of fun. I hit about 90 and I notice a big difference in front end like it was floating. Makes me wonder if my front end is sitting too high? Angle of attack lifting the front off?
What brakes are you running? I notice brake fade immediately after 2 to 3 hard applications. I have 11" gm metric in front and explore disc rear.
Ron
Old 10-10-2011, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fordstroker 408w custom solid roller-Craft ported Brodix 17*heads-CFM ported Vic Jr. intake-1 3/4 primaries- 575hp-TKO-600RR Liberty upgrade- -Moser 8.8 trutrac-McLeod Street Extreme--QA-1-Wilwood brakes, Classic Chambered 3" Cobrapacks, Avon's
Not Ranked     

Aaron, sounds like you had some fun.

Can you give me some facts about your car. Springs, Brakes, engine.
It looks like your car ran and handled real good, just wondering if it was race prepped or not.
I'd like to take my car for a spin at Lime Rock some time, without killing it. Or myself
Lou

Last edited by RET_COP; 10-10-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Old 10-10-2011, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The car is nothing trick. Just built for running around the streets. No race prep other than I checked nuts and bolts before the excursion. Motor is a 351 Windsor around 350hp with a Tremec 3550 and 3:73 gears. Brakes are GM Metric 11" with the Explorer rear.

I would love to drive an actual track preped car but believe me the ice cream getter on a nice evening cobra is plenty of fun. I would head for Lime Rock.

Ron, did you mount your radiator tilted forward or backward? Have no idea if it would make any difference but I mounted mine tilted back instead of the way A&C sets them up. All I can say is that if the Bus Stop Turn was not coming fast I would have left my foot stuffed into the gas. As for brake fade, its not like I ran an actual race but just before getting off the track I ran into turn 1 a lot harder than any previous lap and decided maybe I was pushing my luck so I got on the brakes a bit more aggressive than any time previous and actually started to lock them up just a bit.

Aaron
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C
Not Ranked     

My radiator mounted 90 degrees. Thought about installing one of the in cowl wings to help down force. Looks simple. an upside down wing. Made out of aluminium would look nice.
ron
Old 10-13-2011, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMiller View Post
With almost 500 miles on the odometer, pretty much worn out, what do you do with you newly finished cobra?

How about some "paced laps" at Watkins Glen?

Pretty sure now I want to start a new profession. Think I need to figure out the funding.

Wish I had more time in the car to have a better idea of what the car is really capable of. You just dont get that good of an idea on the streets.

Some interesting findings...

I have heard and read all about how evil these cars can be. My findings were quite the opposite of this. I kept wondering how much more I could push it before it got loose. I was thinking another 100hp would be great. If you are thinking I just drove it like an old lady that could not be further from the truth either. After 3 laps I checked the tires, all 4 hot and sticky looking like someone was grinding on them with 10 grit sanding paper. Running a buck fifteen up the back straight the car felt well planted in the track and never gave me the feeling of the front end getting light and pushing around. Brakes were good through out and seemed very capable of of knocking off speed in a hurry.

Bottom line, drove it to the track on a beautiful fall day, ripped around the track for a bit on a beautiful fall day, and drove it back home on a beautiful fall day. Good Times... My wife mentioned that this must be a perfect example of Cobra Weather..

With that being said I think now I should get rid of the thing and start building a racing version. One can dream...

Aaron
Glad to see you had a nice time driving at Watkins Glen. Too bad more Cobra owners won't give it a try.

While 115 on the back straight is comfortable wait until, you are at 7,000 rpm with a 3.50 gear. you will be giving your brakes a real work out when you try to slow to about 90MPH entering the bus stop.

I don't think your ready to be named the next Bob Bondaurant but your out there and that's a good start.

If you are serious about racing a Cobra the only brand out there right now with an actual race setup is the FFR Spec racer.They may not be as "correct" as some of the other replicas but being first to the finish line is a lot more satisfying.

BTW if you really want to drive your Cobra fast at WGI or any race track sign up for some driving lessons at one of the many schools running around the Northeast.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know I was far from the limits of the car. I was even a ways off of my abilities. I just thought it was interesting that with all the horror stories I hear about these cars it felt quite comfortable for a shake down. 90 mph is certianly not an upper limit for this car. The current brake set up also seems quite capable of bringing things back to reasonable. You cant get that kind of information, safely, on the streets. I do however not believe I am ready for the bus stop at 95mph. Will save that for another time.....

Have some possible changes for the winter and then maybe a few more laps in the spring. I never built this car for the track. Its pretty much to take my daughter for ice cream on nice summer evenings. I didnt know how much I would enjoy the track though. Maybe some racing classes in the future. Sure is fun....
Old 10-13-2011, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

We should goto Watkins together next year! I ran mine there about 3 weeks ago. It was great! I got to go slower where I wanted 30-50 around some turns and open it up on the straights. I went across the checker line at 115! And that was in fourth at 4000 rpm and I still had 2 more gears to go :0. 115 was fast enough.

Glad you got your car out and legal! If we get another nice day, I'll shoot you an email and head your way
Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C Cobra, 521 CU BBF, Holley ProJection, T56 Magnum, 3.5:1 TruTrac 9-inch
Not Ranked     

We should goto Watkins together next year! I ran mine there about 3 weeks ago. It was great! I got to go slower where I wanted 30-50 around some turns and open it up on the straights. I went across the checker line at 115! And that was in fourth at 4000 rpm and I still had 2 more gears to go :0. 115 was fast enough.

Glad you got your car out and legal! If we get another nice day, I'll shoot you an email and head your way
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Aaron:
Can you post pictures of your radiator setup?
Hoses, mounting bracket, etc.
I did what the manual said, although I went with a special Griffith Radiator I ordered direct from the mfg. I had the necks put in spec position and direction and had pet cocks added both top and bottom of the radiator.
When I get close to 100 or above, the front end is very unstable in my opinion. It feels like it is just floating. I always wondered if the angle forward of the radiator causes lift. The originals and all others since have radiators tilted back. I also believe I do not get good airflow over the raddiator and hense cause alot of my high temps. I have a 16" puller fan mounted to the radiator. But I am also wondering if I should add a shroud behind tyhe radiator and the fan mounted to it. I wonder if such a shroud and fan combination is already available from a specialty supplier.
Also, what size radiator are you using?
Jim
Old 10-14-2011, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Fan

Jim, I installed my radiator per the instructions with no problems over 100 mph....I did get rid of the 16" fan and had great success using a fan out of a
95 3.8 Tauras...trim the shroud and it is 3000 cfm. The smaller motor has a different fan, I pulled one from a junk yard for $20.00
Jon
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I got to go through my pictures and see what I have.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: