Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-22-2013, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and Collectible, 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Default New pics, was ready for the body till it wiped a cam

All ready for the body, then the cam wiped on break in. Tearing it all down, block off to the machine shop, and hydraulic roller cam on the way.

Name:  1 ccc.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  37.4 KB

Name:  2 cc.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  3 cc.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  35.8 KB
Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique and Collectible Autos 408w
Not Ranked     

Its too bad about the engine. I'm at the same stage with mine. I hope to order the body in the fall. What are your plans with the body? I want mine gelcoated a blue as close to guardsman as I can. What happened with the cam, did you spin a bearing?
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I ordered the body in black, I havn't decided if I want to stripe it yet. Once I get the car finished I am going mock up white stripes with some vinyl and take pictures with and without stripes then decide.

On engine break-in the flat tappet cam and lifters didn't wear in correctly and essentially ate each other. I just dropped the block off today at the engine shop hopefully have it back sooner than later. Frustrating to have to redo work and spend money twice.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

Could you tell us what happened. Usually if cam lube is used on the lobes and high ZDDP break in oil, and then run the engine at 2000-2500 rpms varying the speed for about 25 minutes you don't have problems. That's got to be frustrating.

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger

Last edited by Wbulk; 06-24-2013 at 06:07 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did everything correct. Cam lube on lobes and lifters, ZDDP additive to the oil, pre-oiled with a drill, varying between 2000-2500 rpm for 20 min after start up, visually verified all pushrods were spinning. Then all the sudden one lifter started clacking badly immediatly shut it down. Picture below cam lobe looks equally as damaged.

Name:  lifter.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  32.2 KB
Old 06-24-2013, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Man! What brands?

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Did you pull the inner valve springs out? or better yet use break in valve springs?
Did the engine fire right off, or did you have to crank it for a bit?
How much lift? How stiff were the valve springs?

I would go back to using the hydraulic roller.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom is dead on about the springs. With real heavy springs during breakin and a high lift cam, that will do it.

Gil Younger
Old 06-25-2013, 12:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was comp cams lifters and cam. I was using single valve springs not double springs, if anything the spring pressure was on the low side. The cam only had .56" lift. And yes the engine fired immediatly.

The hydraulic roller got delivered already. I won't be bothering with the risk of a flat tappet again.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And to top things off I just ruptured my bicep tendon which I had surgically repaired 3 weeks ago from a previous rupture memorial day weekend. Looks like I will be back under the knife.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ANTIQUE AND COLLECTABLEFORD 460
Not Ranked     

Seeing your pictures of the frame and the motor makes me want to build another one. Its a blast!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbulk View Post
Tom is dead on about the springs. With real heavy springs during breakin and a high lift cam, that will do it.
Yep! Happened to me with my first Roadster. BBF with a mechanical flat tappet cam. Ate the cam in 30 minutes. Cost me $4000 in repairs and new parts. Switched to a roller cam and never had another problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: