Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2013, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectible
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel line and battery

While I'm waiting for my engine and wheels to come in I want to run the fuel line and battery cable. I was going to get -8 stainless braided. How many feet do I need and is it just a straight run from the rear to the front with just an inline filter?
Is 1 guage battery cable good? And how does that get run. Positive is front to rear one line? How about the negative?
Old 09-21-2013, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I purchased a 15' of 1 gauge battery cable (JEGS Performance Products 10291 - JEGS Remote Battery Cable Kit) and it comes with 3' of 1 gauge negative cable. I ran the cable along the passenger side of the frame and left a few feet at each end to connect to alternator and battery. My battery is located in the trunk on the passenger side. The negative cable is bolted to the frame at the rear of the car using dielectric grease and a star washer. I passed both cables through the rear wall with grommets (purchased from McMaster-Carr). I eventually installed a kill switch which interrupts the positive battery cable between the battery and alternator. The kill switch is behind the passenger seat and I can reach it while seated in the driver's seat.

For the flexible fuel line --I ran that along the other frame rail (driver's side) and have a fuel filter mounted inline. I ran all of these before mounting the body---easier for mounting the cushion clamps.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

It depends on the power you need, type of pump, etc. -8 AN is good for >700 HP. I used Aeroquip PTFE braided line, which should stand up well to ethanol. I also used Aeromotive in-line filters - 100 micron at the tank, and 40 micron at the carb before the regulator. Can you can provide more detail on your setup?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm having a carbeurated 408w built. I'll let you know when it gets dynoed but somewhere between 400-500hp. I was also looking at the aeroquip -8 ptfe line. Just trying to figure out what parts to order as far as lengths and fittings
Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Fuel/battery

If you trunk mount the battery you can ground it to the bumper supports and then again from the frame to the motor. I ran 02 o. The pass side, bought it on line with the ends grimped on. Fuel line was run on the drivers side,if I had to do it again I would use 3/8 brake lines so ethanol couldn't eat them!
Jon
Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Personally.........I would not use a flexible line all the way.......a solid steel tube with a short hose each end.....the steel will hold up against the elements ....ie rocks etc ......much better......imho
Old 09-26-2013, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: acc
Not Ranked     
Default gas line

I started out using S/S braided line from Summit 6an. Started having fuel issues couple of months ago. Long story short I changed to 8an teflon S/S braided line. Part of my problem was sucking air around the fuel pick up in the tank. So I pulled the tank had 8an bungs welded in the tank, 2 on top 1 for return and another for the vent and 1 on the bottom for supply.. I'm using a Magna Fuel pump their web site states to use an 8an for vent and return. Only problem now is I have a ton of fittings in a box and hose. I put a filter before the pump and before the pressure regulator. Oh yea I used about 17 feet of hose.
Hope this helps,
Dave
Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Here is my chassis while redoing it a few years ago. 3/8" stainless fuel line and brake lines on LH frame rail. Short hose pieces used to connect mechanical pump and out of fuel tank with a filter mounted between tank and stainless line.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 09-26-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Old 09-26-2013, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you guys. I'll keep that in mind for the tank. Ordered the fuel line, battery cable and various parts to get started