Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2005, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C- 351w 5spd
Not Ranked     
Default A&C Sidepipe Mounting

I just received my headers and sidepipes from A&C. I want to do a mock up and mount everything before sending them out for ceramic coating. Now the problem, no instructions and no measurements (distance of sidepipes from the chassis). I do not have the body mounted yet so its kind of hard to visualize where the sidepipes will be in relation to the body. Also, do I have to fabricate brackets? I received 2 brackets but no instructions and nothing is mentioned in the build manual. I noticed in one of "Roscoe's" pix the backets look nothing like the one's I received from A&C. I'm lost!! Any help will be appreciated.
Jerry
Old 06-06-2005, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B non-donor, 496 Genesis SO (608 HPwith 9.4:1 CR), Tremec TKO, Currier 8.8
Not Ranked     

Jerry,

I'm at the same stage as you. I can't figure out how to mock up the pipes without the body on and the engine in. I think we'll just have to be patient and coat the pipes later.

Good luck.

Brian
Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 351W, C4
Not Ranked     
Default A&C Sidepipes

Jerry I sent you an e-mail with my number.

I built an A&C two Summers ago and the sidepipes are a little tricky. The A&C sidepipes are for a big block and therefore have a 2"ID. If you're running a small block, the headers have a 1- 7/8" OD and the slip fit is very sloppy. A&C provided me with what they called bushing, but they are nothing more than short lengths of 1-7/8" ID pipe. even with the bushing the fit was sloppy. Here's what I did:

I had 2" OD to 1-7/8" ID reducers welded into each of the sidepipes. I also had tabs that have 1/4 holes welded onto two diagonally opposed pipes on the sidepipes and on the headers. The sidepipes slipfit onto the headers and the fit was snug. I then forced copper silicone into the seams and I haven't had any leaks. The tabs that I mentioned have to be welded so they will align with each other and at the right distance so you can secure them with 1/4X 20 nuts & bolts. I believe there is a pic of my setup in my gallery.

As for mocking everything up for the body cutouts, I used duct tape to hold the reducers in place and then slid them onto the headers to get my refernce points for marking the body for the cutouts. Once I had the cutouts done I marked all the piping for the weld locations.

A&C provides you with two staright pieces of stock that bolts to the outriggers of the frame. They also provide two angle brackets that I had welded onto the side of the sidepipes. You'll have to mock fit everything to get the right location for the angle brackets.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck,

Tony
Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Sidepipes

Sorry guys, I just checked and the pic is not in my gallery. Let me try to post here in the thread.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Here is what I did:

First I have a 351W.
I installed the headers and sise pipes with the reducer pieces.
I used a 4x4 to space the side pipes away from the side frame rails. I leveled the side pipes parallel to the side frame rails.
I used 1"x1" x 1" long pieces of angle iron that were welded to the side pipes. I created a bracket that mounts to the under side of the frame side rails. I mounted this bracket about halfway down the frame side rail.
Once in position I welded the reducers to the headers.
I like the way Tony welded brackets on the header and side pipe. You can bolt them together or use springs like on a motorcross engine downpipe.
Unfortuneately I simply used stainless steel sheet metal screws in each pipe, it is okay but I really like what Tony did.
Bye the way the 4x4 spaces the side pipes about 3/4" to an 1" from the side of the body when mounted.
Hope this helps, just what I did and it looks great see pics in my gallery.
Jim
Old 06-07-2005, 05:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C- 351w 5spd
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your help guys, now I get the picture of the proper set-up.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Jerry,
One word of caution. Unless somethings changed with the AC body, do not mock up the pipes prior to mounting the body. The body on the drivers side is not the same as the body on the passenger side. You will find the pipe on the drivers side will stick out and not be parallel with the body.

I made that mistake and had to re-weld my brackets. Also, see in the pic below the header attachment.

You are welcome to come up to Fairfield and take a look at my setup and pick my brain. Check my build site at http://www.priveye.com/cobra.htm

Roscoe
Old 06-07-2005, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Roscoe's right...

the A&C frame ouriggers, if their frame hasn't changed, are different on the left and right sides. One of them sticks out about an inch more than the other one. If you mock up the pipes working off of the outriggers, one of the sidepipes will be further away from the body than the other one.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's what I just said..........
Old 06-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Jerry, if you are considering a ceramic coating, from my previous posting:

For coating, I used Swain Technology Ceramic Coating.

http://www.swaintech.com/race.html

A thread on Swain Technology:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/sho...&threadid=61703

The Swain coating is white only, personal desire was for black. Sprayed the side pipes with 1800 degree high temp exhaust paint purchased from Bill Hirsch

http://www.hirschauto.com/newpages/paint.htm
Old 06-08-2005, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I touch my pipes up once a year with Rustoleum BBQ paint. Gives the pipes a nice flat oxide color, like parkerizing.

If I get a scratch or some other blemish on the pipes I simply hit it with some sandpaper and touch up with the BBQ paint.

Roscoe