Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     
Default Hanging Doors on Antique & Collectible

Hey Guys,

I have the doors mounted, and adjusted. The problem is with the "striker plate" which needs to be bolted to the fender wall. The striker plate is flat, the fender is curved, also if I mount the striker plate to the fender it will be too far away for the striker to engage the door latch.

Anyone shim the striker plate out, and if so with what? Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Jer
Old 08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     

Jerry: yes you have to shim the "stricker plate", I used washers. Try to keep the plate flat by different amount of washers. The carpeting will cover the washers so you won't see them. Also what I did was grind down some of the fiberglass to make sure it is flat and perpendicular to the latch mechanism. Then use more washers. Once you find the position and drill the holes you will see how thick the fiberglass is in that area so you know how much to grind.
Godd luck, ain't it fun how much you got to think, plan and plan before you mount something.
Good luck, anytime.
Jim
Old 08-07-2005, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim,

I never thought of grinding the fiberglass a little, that with some shimming should do it. I am about a 1/2" away from where I want the striker to be. Appreciate the advice, back to the garage!

Jer
Old 08-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jerry: No Problem. Where is Glenville, NY?
Jim
Old 08-07-2005, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Washers worked, only needed a few after I sanded the fender dead flat where the steiker mounts!

Doors close and latch

Windshield tomorrow, with a little luck I will be on the road before the fall.

I looked at your pics, noticed you have bumpers front and rear. I am considering installing them also. Did you have trouble aligning them with frame and where they should appear on the outside of the body? I am a chicken when it comes to cutting the fiberglass.

Glenville is between Schenectady and Saratoga on the East side of the state. On a map, find the Mohawk River, Glenville is on the north side of the river above Schenectady in the foothills of the Adirondacks. The fall, spring and summer are beautiful, don't come in the winter. It snows from October to May and it is not uncommon to have days in January where the high is 0. You gotta learn to ski if you live here.

Jer

Last edited by jerry w; 08-07-2005 at 05:37 PM..
Old 08-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Isn't it nice when things work out so well. I only wish I would have found this site before I started my build. I was more than half finished when I was told about the site, ClubCobra.
Anyway, use the holes in the frame for the threaded rod and tubes to go. Only problem I had was the back holes were a little off so I made new holes in the frame uprights. Line up the hole and put in a very small pilot drill first from the inside of the body. Throw away the tubes you got from Joe. I ran Joes tubes for a year then changed them out. Order the stainless steel ones from Finishline along with their rubber grommets for where the tubes go thru the body, much better than Joes cut a grommet in half and glue them to the body. I got my bumpetts from Joe and they are polished stainless steel not chrome plated. Not sure what Finishlines are. When you make the cuts in the body use a hole saw and go slow. Make sure the lead drill bit contacts the body first before the hole saw does.

Is Glenville any where near Rome, NY?

Have fun talk to you latter.

Jim
Old 08-07-2005, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim,

Thanks for the heads-up on the bumpers. Rome New York is near Syracuse in the middle of the state, and about two hours west of me. If you are in t Rome New York area often the Syracuse Nationals is a great hot-rod show which is held at the state fairgrounds every July. If you have reason to travel to Rome try and make the trip coincide with the show. see link below:

http://www.rightcoastcars.com/sn/

The list of national vendors is extensive which is great, and the amount and variety of cars is amazing.

regards,

Jer
Old 08-08-2005, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Anytime you drill holes you should use Forstner bits. They make a clean true hole. I also used the tubes and grommets from Enzo. However I did not cut them but, rather, used silicone spray and worked them into the hole.

Roscoe
Old 08-08-2005, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip Roscoe, I will look at Finish-Lines web site.

Jer
Old 08-12-2005, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Just got back from DC. Was down there a couple of days for some training.

After making a clean hole with the Forstner bit I took a drill with a small drum sander and elongated the hole, little by little, until I had the right shape. You can take a caliper and measure the grommet so you know the exact shape and size the hole should be.

Roscoe