Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-14-2007, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Antique & Collectable 302, C-4,Ford 9 inch
Not Ranked     
Default Tips for cutting front bumper holes

Finally gathering courage to cut the front bumper holes. I bought over-riders from Finish Line. Appreciate any advice from the experienced. I am concerned about drilling an "oval" for the grommet. Knowing I only have one chance, I do not whant to chip the paint, or cut a hole too large. Thanks to all who respond.

Regards,
Old 04-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 427S/C, 351W, T5
Not Ranked     
Default Holes in the Gelcoat

Jerry:
I just put masking tape over the area I was going to cut. I used hole sawblades for a drill. Line up and mark twice, check the measurements and position "Twice" before you drill.
I just made sure I went very slow at a medium speed and took my time.
The holes came out perfect, break the edges with sand paper and you should be fine.
I bought the stainless tubes from Finish Line and I bought their grommets. The ones for the front were oval and the rears round. The stuff from Joe was terrible, cut the grommet in two and glue them. Did that and decided it was a mistake and bought the ones from Finish line.
Just take your time.
Jim
Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jim!

I am just a chicken when it comes to cutting into the fiberglass. Hopefully this week I will get the courage to cut into the front. The back is done, and I am happy with the way it looks.

Regards,
Old 04-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

Try a couple rum and cokes first. That way you won't feel bad until the next morning when you see the results.
John
Old 04-15-2007, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advice John!

Seeing that you are in beautiful Scottsdale, which I have had the pleasure of visiting on several occasions, and hope to return to soon. And I am looking out the window at the largest Northeaster snow storm to hit the area during the month of April.

I am in Double Agony!

Regards
Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I lived in North Dakota for years and I feel your pain. We dealt with 40 mph winds and -35 temps. The wind chill charts didn't go low enough to register.
John
Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile fiberglass holes

Mark where you want the center of the hole and use a long drill bit (12") in your hole saw. This allows you to drill straight on the curved surface. If you drill the 1/4" hole first then you can use a level (and the long drill bit) to see if the hole is in line with the place on the frame that you want to mount too.
I air my tires up and measure from the floor to the location on the frame that I'm going to use. Then I use that measurement to lay out the hole on the fiberglass. Use a common reference point (a wall or chair) to get the side to side measurement.
Dwight
Old 04-16-2007, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the tip Dwight!

I think I have a long electrician's bit that will fit in my hole saw.

Hoping to find time this week to cut the holes.

Regards,

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: