Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Antique & Collectibles

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 04:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Got her started but not a good finish

Well, it turned out that it was the solinoid stuck open. Replaced it and things were back to normal.

So here it goes. We started her up. As soon as te gas hit the carbs she started. She went right up to 2000 RPM so i kept it there. Sounded really good. No leaks. Seen that the temp was starting to climb so i turned on the fans. 5 minutes pasted and the RPM are up to 2500 so we took it back alittle to 2200-2300rpm. Temp though is still climbing and after 10 minutes we were at 210 degress on the gage so we decided that something wasn't right and shut here down.

Well this is when things get not so good. When i shut the key off the RPM's dropped but the engine continued to Run on. What seemed like for ever. turned off the kill switch, nothing. Removed the neg cable and then the positive. Cables where loose on for a quick removal. While this was going on i heard some pinging, maybe it could be classified as knocking.

So the engine is off, i put my hand on the expansion tank and it is cold. Rad is cold and the hoses are cold. took off the rad cap and fluid sprayed all over the place. But it was cool, not even warm. Huge pressure build up. So i believe the thermostat didn't open up. Then it suddenly hits me that the engine wasn't getting any fluid at all. Then temp gage sending unit is mounted right infront of the thermmostat and the intake is aluminum.

Checked the oil and its not bubbling like there is antifreeze in there so thats good. This morning after very little sleep i reconnected the power and turned the key just to activate the gages and it looks ok. No leaks, no smells accept for the gas smell form open carbs

What should i do next. The engine only ran for 10 minutes so i am sure that the cam isn't set yet. Should i take the thermostat out and test it. The darn thing is new. This makes no sense.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Automan
Old 07-12-2007, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like,1 thermostat, check just to be sure
2 run on, the carbs might not be closing completely
I noticed in one of the build manuals I have they montioned drilling a small hole in the outer edge of the thermostat so air can bleed out as the engine fills with coolant. just my .02
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 07-12-2007, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

leave the coolant cap loose so that there isn't a pressure bubble build up which will hinder the liquid flow. Kill the engine in gear so it can't run on--
disconnect the vacume to your dist and plug the line so you don't have a lot of vac advance timing or leak.separate the linkage on the carbs to insure one of them is partly open(rear) and engine is only running on front carb

Jerry
Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Shutting down an engine at high rpm can cause it to run on. Drop your rpm's before shutting it down.

Roscoe
Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I always drill at least three small holes in a triangular pattern on the flange of the thermostat, no matter which way it is installed one should be in the upper position.......... this will help purging air form the system as well as letting a little coolant flow all the time, before the thermostat opens (not a bad thing)........

I always take a new thermostat in the house and put in a pot of water and put on the stove, light the stove up and see that it DOES OPEN and actually works.... water boils at 212 degrees, so your thermostat should open before the water starts boiling....I'll leave it in the water till the water boils and then turn off the stove and let it cool down by itself till the thermostat closes, then take it out and go install in the car.....
BTW: this usually pi$$es off my wife, just an added bonus to the procedure...

I also always leave the radiator cap off when starting a new motor, I fill the radiator with water, start the motor and as the water level drops, I add water to keep the level about 2 to 3 inches from the top of the filler neck, by leaving the cap off, you can also see when the thermostat opens and how much water is flowing.....Once I think all the air is out of the system, then I put the radiator cap on and go from there.........

Like Roscoe said, before shutting down your motor, bring the rpms back to a normal idle........

Hope this helps....

David
Old 07-12-2007, 11:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks alot guys. Called my rebuilder and he repeated everything that you all have said. He said don't worry, that my engine is fine and that tonight, start it up again with the cap off this time. He said that the temp that it got is no worries. It it was to get to 290 then there would be some concern. I will make sure that i bring it to a lower idle before stopping it.

Thanks again
Automan
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The temp is got to should not be a problem, I've had my car up to 240 a number of times, mostly doing parades and it has been in the car for 12 years now with about 25,000 miles on it and have had no problems.......

before you start it tonight, I would take the thermostat out and check it in a pot of water on the stove to make sure it is indeed working properly.........I have had one brand new one "stuck" closed right out of the box, it may have sat on the shelf in the parts store for years before I bought it......

David