14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 04:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Cool tin-man has just joined the Cobra Club

Hello, I have just joined the Club Cobra. I will be getting my roller from Hillbank Motors in California sometime in April, it will have a Roush 511 IR FE 8 stack engine rated at 600HP with a Bowler 4R70W auto transmission, black on black with orange stripes. I will be needing some advice on how to get the car registered in Phoenix, I live in Sun City West. Can anyone in Phoenix help me to understand what to expect and where the best place would be to get the car registered. All help will be appreciated and I look forward to meeting as many of the Arizona Club members as I can. tin-man.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Welcome Tin Man.
Sounds like you are getting a pretty nice set up and I love the motor you are getting.
As for getting it registered, it is super easy here in AZ.
Just get everything road ready and get a 3 day permit and bring the car down to most any MVD that does level 1 inspections. Have any and all receipts with you and make sure you list it as a 1965 or so.
I have used the MVD at 59th ave just south of Bell rd. & the one just off I-17 south of Deer Valley.

Good luck on your ride..
Dan
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

The MVD dept on 55th avenue and glendale was a breeze to go through with my csx. The MSO showing it as a 65 cobra and they will title it as sich. My tags were a whopping $56 plus getting historic plates. I have the same motor. Hopefully they have them sorted out now. Are you doing the install of your motor or who do you have doing it? If you need someone Hot Rods by Dean will treat you right. Charlie over there is great. Welcome to the club!

On another note, anyone going to the Pavilions today for the Russo and Steele car show? I will be there but without my car. The enginge went to Dyno this week and hopefully being shipped back next week.
Ron
Old 01-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Welcome Tin-man,
Always good to hear about another car and more importantly a new member to the gang. Hope you and the wife or girlfriend can join us either on Tuesday evenings for dinner and trading tall stories (5 N Diner) on Bell Rd and about 75 ave from say 5PM to around 7P. Also get together on most Sat. evenings at the car show located in the Safeway parking lot (83Ave + Lake Pleasant Parkway) 4 ish to 7 or so depending on the temps. At the Car show we hang on the N and W end of the event with a norm of about 5 to 7 cars, bring a chair. PS.. this Sat is up in the air a little - maybe another/conflict of times ????????
Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     
Default A litte advise

Welcome Tin-man to the AZ Cobra Forum and CC. We have 3 other Roush 511 owners on board, 2 in Superformance cars so if questions on your motor come up they have the answers. Another black car in Arizona? You must like heat. We joke around a lot but this is a fine bunch of people enjoying their second childhood, me included. The gatherings are everything. You will find “its about the people.” The cobra is our common ground.
Don’t pay too much attention to DWRAT or CAR NUT or Danr55 or Karl Bebout or Dave from Mesa or Maricopa. They just like to incite. We have contributors who know what they are talking about like Jeff, Bruce and Karl and our subject matter seems to wonder off on occasion. John-Tucson, Old Phart and RedSnake351 can be very informative.
Visit this forum every day and you will keep up to date. Let Mikiec know your e-mail address for direct mailings. Visit our own website http://www.azcobras.com/ and include your name/photo/e-mail on the member list.
Most importantly, don’t send anyone money and see me before you pickup the lunch tab at our next cruise, Rookie.

AZ Bob
Old 01-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Well thanks Bob, that makes it 5 bucks Rookie #1 owes ya. You welcomed Tin man as rookie but shouldn't be #2 just to keep the rookies straight. The Rat has not passed his status upgrade yet. Jeff C
Old 01-09-2010, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Tin-Man, welcome to our little disfunctional gang. Word of advice...Bob B is a pharmacist, by trade, and sometimes acts like he's inhaled too much pill dust. I don't know where he comes up with the idea that I'd incite anything.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     

Welcome Tin-Man and listen to Karlos and listen to him REAL good! Bob B has easy access to drugs and always has a smile on his face, nitrous oxide comes to mind.
He included me as being "informative", hell, I'm just the Jester around here!
Ralph
Old 01-09-2010, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Cool tin-man has just joined Club Cobra

Hi Guys, wow, so many reply's so soon, thank you, and I do apprecaite you taking the time to respond. The gatherings do sound fine and I will make sure I participate whenever I can when I get the car, probably sometime in May I'm thinking. I cannot meet sooner since I am working in China and my current plans are to return to Phoenix twice a year Summer and Christmas.

When I register the car is there going to be a value issue with all the documents, as you know the Roush 511 8 stack is not chump change and the roll up amounts to some heavy duty large, thus "bring all the documents" will leave a paper trail, does that have consequences I don't know about?

As to the build I will have somebody else do it for me and am in negotiations currently with Hillbank and Roush for their opinions. I can build factories, which is what I do, but cars, I just put gas in em and go.

I know I am going to have several questions regarding maximan width street legal radials for the back 15" wheels, placement of the foot pedals, stick shift options for the 4R70W auto tranny and some questions I have not even thought about yet, so I hope I do not wear out my welcome with what you may all consider some rather obvious questions. tin-man
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cost makes no difference on registering your car, it will only be about $30-$50 bucks to get that done.
I think you car will already have rear shoes on it but I'm sure you will be able to step them up if need be.
Placement of your foot pedals will be a no brainer as you won't have the clutch to contend with and most likely they will already be installed anyways.

Why are you doing an auto tranny? My guess is it will hurt future re-sale some day but I'm sure that does not matter now.

Dan
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are no longer any spf dealers in Arizona but a couple of optyions to complete the car for the Roush motor. DRAT is correct that cost is not a factor when registering. My suggestion is to have the car finished locally so you will have access to someone should any issues problems crop up. Even turn key, you will have bugs to get worked out after breaking the car in. The huge never ending smile on your face driving it when finished will erase all the pain and suffering of waiting for it to be finished.
Ron
Old 01-09-2010, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRAT View Post
Cost makes no difference on registering your car, it will only be about $30-$50 bucks to get that done.
I think you car will already have rear shoes on it but I'm sure you will be able to step them up if need be.
Placement of your foot pedals will be a no brainer as you won't have the clutch to contend with and most likely they will already be installed anyways.

Why are you doing an auto tranny? My guess is it will hurt future re-sale some day but I'm sure that does not matter now.

Dan
Hi Dan,

Believe me I have ruminated on this point for over ten years and I guess its a mind thing. In 2000 I was contemplating buying a Shelby Cobra and had an opportunity from the Shelby folks to drive one of their cars, problem was the clutch was like trying to push the pedal thru steel and I never managed to get out of third gear, long story short I was just getting used to the warp speed and I had to down shift and break suddenly, well given the set up of the pedals I not only put my foot on the break but was also pushing the accellerator and lunged forward doing a 360 in the middle of an intersection. The incident left its mark, thus ten years later, the choice of an automatic. Second point my understanding is that in a straight drag race an auto tranny has a slight edge over a stick shift. Third, I have read some harrowing stories of folks missing the 5th gear for the 3rd, being not a happy experience.

Since this will be a once in a lifetime purchase I have no thoughts of selling. That said, are there any folks in Arizona that have a 500-600 HP car with an auto tranny, I would really like to hear of your driving experiences. tin-man
Old 01-09-2010, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had a superformance with a 514 BB putting out 600 hp with an auto/paddle shifters and it was a ball to drive. My wife even commented on hpw much easier it was to drive(she wont even think about trying to drive my csx) If it werent for trying to recoup money invested I would of loved to keep that car but it had to go. I know it isnt true to teh original but Cobras are about fufilling your individual dream so I say go for it! Manual or Auto cannot get traction to the rear wheels if you have a heavy foot but tooling around will be a piece of cake with the automatic!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
I had a superformance with a 514 BB putting out 600 hp with an auto/paddle shifters and it was a ball to drive. My wife even commented on hpw much easier it was to drive(she wont even think about trying to drive my csx) If it werent for trying to recoup money invested I would of loved to keep that car but it had to go. I know it isnt true to teh original but Cobras are about fufilling your individual dream so I say go for it! Manual or Auto cannot get traction to the rear wheels if you have a heavy foot but tooling around will be a piece of cake with the automatic!
csx4910 thanks for the quick response, how does the auto/paddle shifter work exactly, help me understand this feature or if possible can you share with me any technical specs? When I talked to Mark Bowler of Bowler Performance Transmissions about using the 4R70W auto tranny like a manual [primarily for compression braking in an emergency] his response was, "can't be done" and I should consider a paddle shifter. Thus my interest.tin-man
Old 01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
There are no longer any spf dealers in Arizona but a couple of optyions to complete the car for the Roush motor.
Ron
Wrong csx4910! Arizona Cobras in Wickengurg is owned by Richard and Crystal Creel. They are an authorized Shelby American dealer and are licensed by Shelby to sell all of the Superformance products.

Tin-man, good luck and enjoy your new purchase! Lance Stander at Hillbanks will make sure that your car is delivered just the way you want it! No worries!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I stand corrected. I knew they were a shelby csx dealer and didnt know they did SPF's. I am sorry I dont know the technical aspects of how the paddle shifters were set up only that they were installed locally, had the ability to tune the trans by electronically adjusting the shift points and firmness and that it worked very well, shifter faster than you could shift a manual and that I can get the rear tires to break loose with shifts
Ron
Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CSX4910 can you send me a private message, there are some other comments I would like to make, thanks, tin-man
Old 01-10-2010, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sent you a pm
Old 01-10-2010, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Tin-man, welcome to the club. I sent you a pm.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Tinny...

Welcome,

Charlie is one of the good guys.

Send me an email and I'll add you to our list.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/