CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     

Can i lend you my flamethrower?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrabill View Post
Something is wrong with the SMOG station.
I agree, I don't believe you can be required to "update" any vehicle to meet current standards. I'm pretty sure that they only require that it meet the standards for the year it was made.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Thanks All,
The smog guy says it came with a Cat Conv. and I or somebody has removed it. I said I have had it for 10th year now and inspected the 9 years before at this STATION. All my print outs from them say (Cat Exempt N/A.) . Smog guy says they must have missed it because it needs to have one installed. Prove me wrong or install a Cat but I will not give you a PASS certificate. BTW it passed sniff with flying colors. I am being failed because of a equip. violation.

This is why I am asking Dodge ??? HOW DID IT LEAVE the factory?

So the BS begins
Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Let me present a possibilty. in the bike business, they made a larger percentage of the modles Ca. compliant..because Ca. is the largest bike (or were) buying state. We would, toward the end of a season or when someone wanted a previous model that was no longer produced, get bikes from warehoses that sometimes were Ca. ones. Those bikes came with all sorts of crap that the 49 state models didn't. Now, if someone removed that stuff because it wasn't needed here, the serial # would syill indicate it was a Ca. model. In this case it was usually evap. system. If the truck had been made for Ca. and was shipped to a dealer outside that state, it woulkd still be designated as having been built with what ever parts were needed to be Ca. compliant. If the dealer or some other entity had changed it to be more user friendly in the area it was sold in...that could be the issue. I don't know anything about what is or was required on diesel trucks of any kind, but that could be the issue. Now that they have computer links, maybe the serial # is for a Ca. produced model that was made 49 state. Might be worth looking into.
But vehicles of the era, I was under the impression, were required by law to have emission systems warranteed for 100K. I know Ford replaced the cats on my '89 5.0 GT with 90K+ miles for free. They were going to do it again about a year later when I went in to get an ignition or headlight switch update. My friend that worked the service dept. had not listed that they were installed in case I needed others later.So it would seem that the parts should be available somewhere. If you had a vehicle with less than that many miles and the system failed and a new part was needed, how would the mfg. be able to correct it?? That would make me think that IF those parts are needed they should be somewhere. there are now universal cat convertors that can be palced into any system, they just need the correct ends attached. That may be your only recourse if one is needed.
Not sure about the testing station, especially if it is a private enterprise. NJ had safety inspections begining in the early 70s and the inspection stations were run by...garages (that's what they were called then) and they seemed to be able to generate some extra income for themselves off the inspections. I believe that after I left the state that was changed because of ....fraudulent acts of the inspection stations. I know that I was failed twice. Once was for too loud exhaust (bone stock '69 428 CJ exhaust..untampered with) the other was because my aftermarket steering wheel was smaller diameter than the factory one. As you can see those were both EXTREMELY dangerous violations. There was no argument against the wheel, that's why I installed it, but when I pointed out that the exhaust was factory issue. They didn't care..it was too loud. I read in some publication at the time that the only way that car would have met the sound level was to stick a potato in each tailpipe. Call me skeptical, but I felt like they were trying to make some bucks off me. It could have been because I was in the AF and they thought I'd be an easy mark, I don't know. I re-registered it here and said screw 'em.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cat Killer,
If you do end up needing to put a cat back on, I found a local guy with a used 4" cat that will sell for $50.00.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/1561677696.html
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.

Last edited by DWRAT; 01-28-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'LL TAKE IT !!! Thanks I will call you
Old 01-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The original build documentation for my 96 Dodge dually with a 12 valve Cummins was located at Dodge. My truck was not shipped with a catalytic converter. I will have this document faxed to a local dealer per their SOP. This adds additional traceability to the document is my guess.

I was told even a fax may take up to 48 hrs before sent but this is great news. I hope this is the end to this horror story but I still must get somebody to issue a PASS certif.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It would still be a good idea to put a cat on your truck for environmental purposes.

Your favorite president would love you long time for that.

Otherwise, Cap & Trade may be affecting you soon.
No more Furds.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
The original build documentation for my 96 Dodge dually with a 12 valve Cummins was located at Dodge. My truck was not shipped with a catalytic converter. I will have this document faxed to a local dealer per their SOP. This adds additional traceability to the document is my guess.

I was told even a fax may take up to 48 hrs before sent but this is great news. I hope this is the end to this horror story but I still must get somebody to issue a PASS certify.
Well this past Friday I took the documentation from Dodge Corp. back to the original Smog station and talked to the same supervisor. He refused to issue a PASS certificate claiming the truck needs a Cat Convert per his documentation and I could protest with the State.

I made appointment with the State and headed across town to their offices. I showed them the documents showing truck never had a Cat. They looked up the spec's and also said it needs a Cat. I convinced them to call Corp. Dodge and gave them a number and department Supervisors name that sent me my paperwork. Dodge told them (the State guy) that the truck was not manufactured or shipped with a Cat. Conv. per the original VIN # provided. The State claims if it was shipped without a Cat then Dodge violated the Reg's but they don't care why .... to get a PASS certificate it must have a CAT added. Can you say I"M Screw'd
Old 02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

"I'm screwed"... sounds like you are too!

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I met with a few folks at a local Dodge dealership yesterday. A complete search showed no Cat. Convert. on this truck when my VIN was used as a search filter nor others without the VIN filter. Continued research and various department managers lead me to the dealership GM. He agreed to take a look at what I and his folks had found.

Our meeting ended with him making a few calls to folks with a lot more horsepower than me investigating my options. So far I have been told it left Dodge without a Cat. Conv.

A generic Cat. Conv. from Autozone for the truck retails for $487.00 and then costs to modify current system and install labor. I do have the option to keep truck out of the county and register in Flag where I have a house but I loose use of truck here in Phx. I also face possible Fed charges if I knowingly sell truck to person in AZ. Smog counties without the Cat. installed.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Would you just put a old used Cat on it and be done with this.

You talk about me and the way I carry on about things and it is nothing compared to you and this Cat situation.

Bend over and put the cat on.
No more Furds.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
I met with a few folks at a local Dodge dealership yesterday. A complete search showed no Cat. Convert. on this truck when my VIN was used as a search filter nor others without the VIN filter. Continued research and various department managers lead me to the dealership GM. He agreed to take a look at what I and his folks had found.

Our meeting ended with him making a few calls to folks with a lot more horsepower than me investigating my options. So far I have been told it left Dodge without a Cat. Conv.

A generic Cat. Conv. from Autozone for the truck retails for $487.00 and then costs to modify current system and install labor. I do have the option to keep truck out of the county and register in Flag where I have a house but I loose use of truck here in Phx. I also face possible Fed charges if I knowingly sell truck to person in AZ. Smog counties without the Cat. installed.
Come pickup your truck, and bring my money.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
Come pickup your truck, and bring my money.
Did you put a cat on Jeff's truck for him?

If you did, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I've never heard a grown man cry like a little baby for 2 weeks straight.
No more Furds.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Shots fired!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Drip drip drip
Old 02-07-2010, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How much does a For Sale sign cost in Flagstaff ?
Old 02-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

John,
I don't want to sell the old dually, love the truck. With 4:11 gears and that Cummins I can pull houses of their foundations. Never know when that will come in handy.

In the end I will install a Cat if I have to, darn hard to fight city hall and win. In the end I will have to prove their BOOK is wrong. I am not ready to give up yet though. Corp.Dodge is writing me a letter so I will wait and see if that works.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Jeff, do you have a decent State Representative in your area that might go to bat for you ? It never hurts to have one branch of the government question another branch. I know how you feel about the truck.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hum, my next store neighbor is the state representative for distric 10 and was speaker of the house for the last 2 years for my area.
I could hook you up with him if you need.
No more Furds.

Last edited by DWRAT; 02-07-2010 at 02:11 PM..