Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Alternator wiring.....

After a few minor problems with my charging system I am replacing my alternator and I need to rewire the whole shebang. Unfortunately, I am unable to find any "good" information on how it should be wired up. As far as I can tell, the "I" on the regulator is used for the dash light, which I do not have, so it is not used. I have conflicting information on whether the stator wire on the alternator is run to the regulator or not used at all. I have been told the "S" on the alternator goes to the choke....and this doesn't make sense to me. Attached is how I think it should be wired, but want some confirmation before I wire it up and fry something....I know I am over thinking this, but want to be sure. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfordman View Post
I have conflicting information on whether the stator wire on the alternator is run to the regulator or not used at all. I have been told the "S" on the alternator goes to the choke....and this doesn't make sense to me.
When you don't have the ignition light then you only have to run one wire from the voltage regulator to the alternator. That wire is the FIELD wire. You do not have to run the stator wire. I have never,ever heard of running anything to the choke. Here's a picture of how early ERAs without ignition lights are wired. I borrowed this pic from the ERA manual, hopefully Bob P. won't yell at me for doing so.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-26-2016 at 08:42 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did come across that diagram from the ERA site..... That is where I am getting mixed ideas about what to do. The ERA method is completely different from the way I thought it needed to be done. I did find the page in my CCX manual and it does show the stator from the alternator wired to the regulator.

So we are in agreement the "I" from the regulator is not connected......
If I do not hook up the "S" from the alternator, it won't hurt anything, correct? Again, I thought I knew how to do this, but am just experiencing information overload! I had my regulator go bad, and because of the wiring mess in my car I decided to rewire everything. I think I got some wires crossed and blew my alternator, so now I am starting from scratch again and am unsure of what to do!

Last edited by azfordman; 02-18-2011 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 02-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So we are in agreement the "I" from the regulator is not connected......
If I do not hook up the "S" from the alternator, it won't hurt anything, correct?
Correct. With no ignition light you do not need to hook anything up to the I terminal on the regulator and you do not need to connect the STATOR terminal from the Voltage Regulator to the alternator. Just feed the S and A terminals on the Voltage Regulator with fused power. A year or two ago we had a very nice thread about the need to "excite" the voltage regulator through the filament of the ignition light. You don't have to worry about that; I only mention it because it was pretty neat and I fished out my old automotive text books from the 70's and posted some of the pages.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So according to the ERA diagram I should have voltage going into the "S" post of the voltage regulator.......
Old 02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I did search the CC threads, but did not find anything. I give much more weigh to the opinions and advice here than elsewhere.... As always I appreciate it!
Old 02-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
So according to the ERA diagram I should have voltage going into the "S" post of the voltage regulator.....
Correct. But it should be ignition key switched power, not always on power.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got it! I could have sworn that there should be "switched" power going into it somewhere. Thanks, Mark
Old 02-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's the other thread I was talking about where I posted some stuff out of my old automotive textbooks: First Drive today - speedo and electrically issues / help?
Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK-I, 302, 780 Pro-Systems custom double pumper, 425HP
Not Ranked     

I wouldn't use a "fuseable" link. I would replace it with an in line "mega fuse". It's a lot easier to see if there was a electical surge with a fuse than a fuseable link. The fuseable link was describe to me as a controled fire under your hood.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was considering upgrading the fusible link to a large fuse like I have installed on my fan...just not sure what amperage to use. The fusible link was only $6.00, so I would rather spend that then not have any protection on the system. Well, I got everything hooked up and running......but there is no voltage coming out of the regulator "field" plug to the alternator.....not sure if the new regulator was bad, or perhaps it fried when I was playing with the rewiring, but back to town I go!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:27 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, I got everything hooked up and running......but there is no voltage coming out of the regulator "field" plug to the alternator.....not sure if the new regulator was bad, or perhaps it fried when I was playing with the rewiring, but back to town I go!
It's easy to check the system. First, make absolutely sure you've got 12v going to the "S" connector of the voltage regulator. Then, if you run a jumper wire between the 12v power at "S" and the "F" connector on the voltage regulator, and then start the car with the engine running no faster than 1500 RPM, the ammeter should show a charge. If it does, then the voltage regulator is bad. On the other hand, if you still have no charging then the problem is the alternator
Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Swapped out the voltage regulator at the parts store, installed the new one, and she is back together and all seems to be running well. If the weather is clear tomorrow the real test will be if I make it up to Phoenix and back! Thanks again for all the help, it is greatly appreciated!