Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3 #6288, IRS, 427W, TKO600
Not Ranked     
Default Sales tax on kit cars

It was bad enough when the lady at MVD charged me state sales tax when I registered my Factory 5 kit ($1100 !). Now, the city of Mesa wants a cut too. I got this letter today:

The state of Arizona has notified this office that you registered the above vehicle to a City of Mesa address and that you have paid the 6.6% State Use Tax.

This letter is to advise you that the City of Mesa also imposes a City Use Tax at the rate of 1.75%. This tax must be paid directly to the City of Mesa as the State does not collect the City Use Tax.

City Use Tax is imposed on items acquired from a retailer for which an equivalent City privilege (sales) tax was not charged at the time of purchase.

Please return this letter to this office with the amount due within 30 days.
]

blah blah blah...

There are blank lines for "Vehicle Purchase Price", "Less Trade-In", and "Amount subject to tax". None of these are filled in.

Have any of you had to deal with this before? I'll call them tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks,

Rich
FFR #6288, IRS, 427W, TKO600.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Haven't gone through it myself but Tucson charged my brother a tax on his FFR.
Of course, like you, that's in addition to the state tax.
They told him it was a city road use tax. He asked when were they going to fix the road so he could use it.
Larry
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
They told him it was a city road use tax. He asked when were they going to fix the road so he could use it.
Larry
LMAO @ Larry !!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Why wouldn't the city use the same basis as the State ?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #90, 351w,Tremec 3550, SB100 SOLD
Not Ranked     

T-rex,

I would say as unpleasant as it is, just pay it and move on. Perhaps in the past this might have escaped the city of Mesa (or any other local city/town) but not now. They are scrambling for any money they can find.

You may have paid sales tax on parts and pieces that went into the car. There might be a way to deduct these taxes from your total tax. But, I am not sure about this either. This would have applied to your state tax as well. I have heard guys that were successful in doing this, but I am not sure this has been tried in Arizona. Maybe some guys from AZ can weigh in on this. Some states could care less about the sales tax you paid on parts to build the car (i.e. California) and tax the whole completed car by your total car cost including those taxes.

SkipB
Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

When I registered mine, Scotttsdale Airpark, the only thing I had to pay was for the for the license. I did bring reciepts for the motor, trans, paint etc. just in case but they did not even ask to see them. I did not pay any state or local taxes.
I did have to pay extra for the plate "NICEASP".
I agree with the other post, pay and avoid the grief and then enjoy the ride.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     

This is just the beginning. The state of Az will now have a question on your tax return asking you to report all internet purchases, and submit the tax you owe on them. If the info is left blank, your chances of being audited will go up.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM Replica, 427 s/o, Vette suspension
Not Ranked     

Just send them a signed, blank check! You trust your government, don't you? (LOL)
*** OF GREAT WORTH *** And JESUS asked again, “The Kingdom of GOD, how shall we think about it, and to what can it be compared? Is it not like a Dark blue 427 Cobra, which a man found parked on his street one day? He hurried off and sold all that he had; the ’57 Thunderbird, the ’63 Stingray, the XKE, and bought the dark blue 427 Cobra.” The disciples frowned and scraped their feet; JESUS grinned and popped the clutch. --- Harris Wolfe
Old 07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchman View Post
This is just the beginning. The state of Az will now have a question on your tax return asking you to report all internet purchases, and submit the tax you owe on them. If the info is left blank, your chances of being audited will go up.
are you serious?
Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3 #6288, IRS, 427W, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitekit View Post
are you serious?
I sure hope not! But I also hope there aren't any politicians reading this forum; we don't want to give them ideas like that!

BTW, I tried calling the Mesa tax department yesterday, but they're only open Monday-Thursday. Guess I'll have to wait.

Rich
FFR #6288, IRS, 427W, TKO600.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK-I, 302, 780 Pro-Systems custom double pumper, 425HP
Not Ranked     

I would losse the letter or rather you never received said letter.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR from Levy Racing 302 FI w/Edelbrock Performer heads
Not Ranked     

What he said except with correct spelling.

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes. Finally got around to going to the VA.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What letter! Ha.

SkipB
Old 07-30-2011, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitekit View Post
When I registered mine, Scotttsdale Airpark, the only thing I had to pay was for the for the license. I did bring reciepts for the motor, trans, paint etc. just in case but they did not even ask to see them. I did not pay any state or local taxes.
I did have to pay extra for the plate "NICEASP".
I agree with the other post, pay and avoid the grief and then enjoy the ride.
Sent you a pm, btw its should be Glandale and not Mesa. tin-man
Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Speaking of buying cars.. Skip, isn't your turn coming up soon? You should be having withdrawls anytime now.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 07-31-2011, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Having an internet business, I deal with use tax all of time.

The law is clearly on the side of the state, when you purchase the item from an out of state company that did not charge you sales tax. But the tax should not be assessed on anything over the purchase price on a kit car you bought, save your receipt.

If you assemble the car yourself and buy local parts that you paid sales tax, you should not be assessed use tax on those items. Receipts would be helpful.

If you used parts that you had laying around, there should be no tax on those items and purchases from a private party should also not be subject to use tax.

If you live in municipality that charges use tax, then you are also liable for the tax on the same basis as the state tax.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
Having an internet business, I deal with use tax all of time.

The law is clearly on the side of the state, when you purchase the item from an out of state company that did not charge you sales tax. But the tax should not be assessed on anything over the purchase price on a kit car you bought, save your receipt.

If you assemble the car yourself and buy local parts that you paid sales tax, you should not be assessed use tax on those items. Receipts would be helpful.

If you used parts that you had laying around, there should be no tax on those items and purchases from a private party should also not be subject to use tax.

If you live in municipality that charges use tax, then you are also liable for the tax on the same basis as the state tax.
This, the only thing I might add is that you don't want to commit fraud. The City would have easy access to the basis for the State's tax.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

If your original purchase order from the kit builder indicates that the motor and trans. were included (but not installed)as part of that purchase, the tax mightl more, or could be less than if you provide them with the separate purchase order for the engine and tranzs....get it!

Last edited by Bill Bess; 08-01-2011 at 04:51 AM..
Old 07-31-2011, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan,

You are right. I have the itch. But thr 100 plus heat is making me wait a bit! Plus, I don't know what I want this time. Another Backdraft, maybe. Or what? Any suggestions for a local AZ car for sale?

As for taxes and kit cars. If you paid sales tax on everything you bought, I would think that would be deducted from the total tax bill. Also, I really don't know how it works in AZ, but in CA. you couldn't really buy the engine and transmission from the kit car vendor. That would constitute a "complete vehicle" meaning it would need airbags, smog equipment, etc. to meet current vehicle standards as if you bought a new car from a dealer. It may not apply here in the wild wild west of Arizona, but I am not sure. Anybody from Arizona know how this works?

I guess I am paranoid after moving from the Republic of Kalifornia. After all it took me 11 months to get my car titled there. I would just advise caution and staying under the government'r radar.

SkipB
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Skip, The best buys I've seen lately have been on contemporary cobras. Like the green one with the 427 with duals and the whole magilla.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."