• 1 Post By Danr55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     
Default Just a reminder!!

I've had this since I got my first replica. I read it every once in a while just as a reminder. I thought I would throw it out there for comments.

I think the best description of why or why not to get a Cobra replica is the following from I believe Hal Copple here on Club Cobra (not sure, but I think it was him):

If you want to just gas and go, and never have to worry about replacing an alternator, or snugging down the header bolts, or getting a wet leg driving in a rainstorm, or learning how to set your carb float level, or driving in traffic on a warm winter day with "winter gas" in the tank, get a 'Vette.

With a Replica, you have to remind yourself that you are driving a hand made race car on the street. There is no compromise for anything other than pure speed. These cars are brutal and unforgiving, with all the refinement of a medieval battle ax. Like being in a relationship with an exotic dancer, you can never take anything for granted. These cars don't have millions of miles of testing refinement before you get yours. For any trip longer than an hour, you need earplugs, and goggles, and carry Advil and eye drops. You will need to learn to "read" the clouds for rain in your path, and have experience in unwrapping your frozen fingers from the MotoLita. You will experience lady passengers "wetting" the passenger seat when you merge into traffic from an on ramp, and then nearly burn their calf getting out of the car.

You will have all the invisibility of a burning Hindenberg, and flee from underground parking lots when uncounted car alarms are screaming your departure. When you shop, you will remind yourself that these cars get more attention than a dead body in a parking lot.

With a power to weight ratio better than almost every supercar, you will find your 1/4 mile times traction rather than power limited. On the other hand, when you stage, out of the corner of your helmet's visor you will see almost the entire audience lining up at the fence, most with cameras up. If you track on a road course with a Porsche club, owners of expensive German machines will come to the fence to watch you power out in smoking oversteer. You won't even try to start your engine in the garage, but push it out onto the driveway, else your loyal watch dog will croak from the exhaust fumes. If you idle next to other "sports" cars at a traffic light, by the green, their girlfriend will be coughing green phlegm into her hanky, yelling at her date to just go! When you refuel, you might as well prop the "bonnet" open, because you are going to have to show your motor to just about every other guy there. When you order your wings at Hooters, your waitress will whisper in your ear "take me for a ride." When you stop at the red light, the girl in the convertible next to you will invite you to "take my top off too."

When you slowly pass a troop of Harley riders, they will look over and give you thumbs up. When you want to ease out into traffic, other cars will immediately pause to let you go ahead of them.

When your engine has it's hot, crackling, intimidating exhaust's sidepipe aimed right at the flank of the GTO, or the Z28, your exhaust pulsations slowly unscrewing his lugnuts, the other car will remain motionless, as if the slightest quiver of his car will cause your car to stomp it dead. When you leave it open in a parking lot, and come back to find your sunglasses and cell phone still sitting on the tunnel, it is because your car has sullenly warned those who came over to admire it "touch me and i will rise up here and kill you dead."

When you put that tiny silver key into the ignition, and begin your start countdown, your car will whisper "take me for granted, and I will kill you."

When other drivers just hop in and snap up their belts while backing out of their parking space, you will still have two more minutes before you even get all the Simpson's properly on and snugged down.

Pulling up in a Replica is like landing an F4U at an ultralite convention.

In summary, very very few drivers want this kind of attention, or can tolerate all that a formidable Replica demands. These cars are intolerant mistresses.

But remember, there will come a day when you have to hang up your car keys for the last time. And perhaps you want to say then "I did it."
Quintum likes this.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Excellent!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Better than excellent and fwiw I think it was Hal Copple that posted that a while back. He never shyd away from the cold or damp. In fact some of his bestest stories came from trips to his Daughters in his Cobra up north. I think Hal lives in S. Carolina maybe. Hal I miss your stories!!!

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     

To the best of my knowledge, Hal has sold old SPF #673 and retired to his Porshe for his daily commute. He is a legend and we all miss his stories.

AZ Bob
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 302 cu 290 hp
Not Ranked     

While not quite summing up owning a Cobra in one word, Hal says it better than I've ever been able to explain it. Thanks for the post!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #501, Polished Roush 427R & Tremec TKO 600 trans.
Not Ranked     

well stated...

Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Well I was driving home Sunday from the office and pulled up behind a group of older ladies and men asking me to pass them kinda of ....well ....fast. So I dropped into 2nd gear and stomped on it. Almost did a Brian/Karl. Saved it at the last minute doing 75 yielding onto I-17, Saved my stupid ass. Oh, they all gave me the thumbs up as I looked around and knew I was still in one piece.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Fitz, be careful. One Karl is enough per club site. Especially when you combine it with someone who chases coyotes with a cobra.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."