Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, Ford Cobra 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Racing at FIR 10/6-7

Who is running in the ProAutoSports races on Saturday & Sunday, 10/6 & 7 at FIR? They will using the 3.2 mile Mondo track (combined FIR Main and Bondurant tracks). I know of 1 Cobra owner planning to show.

I don't know if my racing snake will be ready to run, but I'll be there, probably both days, to visit and ride along.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm fairly new to the Phx area, and live in Mesa. I've got an FFR, but not running on the track right now. I would like to come out and watch the races, especially if there are Cobras out there. Can you give me a little detail on the event you are talking about on 10/06 and 10/07? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercobra View Post
[snip] . . . Can you give me a little detail on the event you are talking about on 10/06 and 10/07? Thanks.
ProAutoSports/ASA and NASA-Arizona Region sponsor most of the the sports car racing events in the state, at Firebird International Raceway (FIR) on the Gila River Reservation and at other regional tracks in the area. The weekend of 10/6-7, NASA is running at INDE in Wilcox and ProAuto is running at FIR. You can click on the links I set in this post to visit the website for each sanctioning group to learn most everything you'd want to know about their schedules, events, DE and competition groups, rules, etc.

Specifics about ProAutoSports' event next weekend are on its website. On Saturday from 7:00 am to 5:45 pm there will be 30 sessions run for 9 different groups plus 2 hot lap sessions. On Sunday from 7:30 am to 5:00 pm there will be 27 sessions for 8 groups (the ASA truck series only runs on Saturday) plus 2 hot lap sessions.

There is no cost for spectators and the paddock/pits are open to all. If you wish to ride along there is a fee and you must wear a helmet. They have some available for free use.

I only know of 1 Cobra that will be competing. Gordon Levy of Levy Racing fame will probably be running with NASA. I'll send you a PM with additional info.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dale,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to Google Map Wilcox, to see how far it is so I can visit some time. Heard of the track, but never been there. Any idea how much the ride alongs are at FIR?

Thanks again
Old 09-30-2012, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercobra View Post
Dale,

. . . Any idea how much the ride alongs are at FIR?

Thanks again
NASA charges nothing for ride alongs; ProAuto charges $20 on the web-based registration but folks have told me they only pay $10 at the track. Both require a signed waiver.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

I plan to take my chevy-powered Cobra to FIR to drive the Mondo track on the 6th with PASA. I've driven Inde a few times now, but never the Mondo course, so looking forward to it. BPWilliams will also be at FIR, but not with his green Cobra, he'll be driving his full-race Camaro.

I'll prolly be slow as I've spent the last two weeks cutting and modifying the frame on my car, removing and welding the holes in the oil pan and everything associated with that type of effort, instead of buying and installing new tires. Mine are pretty old, so I'll be somewhat conservative on-track.

It will be fun and anyone interested can come out to drive (see PASA's web site for entry and classing) or just watch.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Dale,

We havent met, so stop by if you do make it out, I'll be the real noisy one.

Who else is planning to take a Cobra?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Hate to say it but pretty sure most of us old guys got that out of our system few years back? Can't travel too far from restrooms? Ha! Especially those blue and silver cars? laughing
Old 09-30-2012, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fitz,

Sounds like some of the folks still think they're Mario Andretti, based on the recent visits with the local constables... :O

More Cobra folks should come out for these track days. We're really lucky to have two groups that put on these events here in AZ.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites View Post
I plan to take my chevy-powered Cobra to FIR . . . I'll prolly be slow as I've . . . [yadda, yadda, yadda]
Let's be honest: you'll be slow because you're driving a Chevy.

Randy Chaz (handle "randyrc2) is planning to run his Ford powered Cobra. In what group are you running?

I look forward to meeting you. Will you be wearing a bowtie so I can spot you?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dale,

I run in either Green or Orange group. Orange for sure this time since I'll be learning the track.

No bowtie, but you can spot me going down the straight - if you don't blink... ;D
Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK-I, 302, 780 Pro-Systems custom double pumper, 425HP
Not Ranked     

I talked with Gordon Levy recently and he will have his NASA FFR MKI on the track.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 351W Block
Not Ranked     
Default FIR Race Day Sat 10/6

Ill be there in my yellow Cobra running in the orange group.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Randy,

Good news, its always nice to have fellow cobra drivers out there. I'll look you up at the track.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Was looking at the rules, it says convertibles need an approved roll bar. Will a single person roll bar on the drivers side of a factory five count? or does it require a full spec racer roll bar?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 351W Block
Not Ranked     
Default roll bar

For the street race groups the single roll bar on Cobras are ok to use.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup,

The std Cobra single hoop is OK for the street groups. I tracked mine that way for years with PASA.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

Thats Great! the only racing I could do before was SCCA in my area and I had trouble telling which way to go thru the stupid cones. I would memorize the track but at speed it was hard to judge the turns with a sea of orange in front of me.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gonna try to make it, and cheer on the cobras. Hope to meet some of you out there.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Had a great time. Randy is super fast with a really nice FFR. I had cooling issues all day with an intermittent fan (found a dead fan relay yesterday, so an easy fix) so I cut most runs a lap or two short, but no big deal. Also Randy let me know I was venting gas overboard during the first run (I thought my rear tires were really slippery!). We talked and I dropped the tank fill level to ~5/8 and had no problems after that. The gas was coming up out of my rollover vent valves. I can make some design changes that will solve it, but for now the lower tank level works fine.

Brian ran his camaro (its a very nice track car and safer and faster than his beautiful and powerful green Cobra) and competed in Hot Laps for the first time. He was fastest in his classification and did really well overall, with the only few cars faster than his being in the next class up (lighter with more power).

Brain and Jim Brey (good to see you Jim) and I pitted together all day and Brian cooked burgs and brats and we had some of Barb's jalapeno potato salad. All excellent vittles and kudos to the chefs. Thank you very much!

My friend Shea brought his 911 out and did the school and had a great time. He smiled all day and managed to push the little car pretty good. He did have a gentle spin as well, so he got that out of the way. I really recommend folks come out to do this. Driving on a race course with other cars around you is a real kick. Much better than autocross or solo events.

Saw Karlos and his buddy who came out to supervise. Always good to see nice folks.

Met Dale and some others - sorry I'm terrible with names. All very nice folks and I hope to see Dales FFR out there soon. I think its a spec racer? And also met a few other folks who came by who were building Cobras or in the looking process.

Anyhow, a great day in the sun with friends and without major failures. What more can you really ask for?

Last edited by ItBites; 10-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: added more!