28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Broken Cobra on Bartlett Lake Dam Road

Thanks to all the Guys and Gals that stopped to help Mark and I today.

We were headed home, doing about 55 on a straight when there was a loud bang, followed by white smoke streaming from the left front wheel well. Steering was locked straight ahead, but there was just enough movement to pull the car over. If I had been in a P-51,I would have guessed that we took a german 20mm somewhere!

We got the car towed back to the garage. It took some time to get it on the lift as the front was too low to clear the lift bumpers. Anyway, on the lift, it was quite a surprise. The coilover spring was fine. The shock absorber shaft had snapped at the bottom end just above the lock nut. It sheared straight across as though it was a defect of some sort. The release of the shaft had dropped the left fender the tire what caused the smoke. The coilover buckled against the rack and pinion, further restricting the steering.

The car has 9500 miles on it....all highway, no offroad. I am sure we could have had an off road adventure if this would have occurred on a curve a 1000 yards earlier. I will contact Factory Five on Monday for a replacement. I am thinking two replacements as I am unsure when the right might do the same.

I will let you know how they respond to my concerns. Thanks again for the assistance.

Bob
Old 04-13-2013, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Wow, 1000 ft earlier you might not have written this post. I would for sure change both out.Georgr
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Bob, Glad no one was hurt. Let us know how this turns out.
Dan

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wasn't there a recall or replacement on certain shocks used by Factory Five a few years ago? I seem to remember hearing about just that issue and Factory Five replaced the shocks.
Larry
Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

If that's a Bilstein shock, that is unfortunately a rather common occurance. Not many people are still running the bilsteins. If you have them in the rear, you should probably replace them, too.

Is your car a MII or a MIII?
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hi,
I stopped to make sure all was well, as well as it could be with a tow truck present.
Very happy to know you were not hurt. I hope to see you guys again under better times. Jeff C
Old 04-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

X2 to Bobcowan and LMH about the shocks. I remember a couple of people in our local club with FFRs went through the exchange of shocks. If memory serves one actually broke and the other got ahead of the problem and had his shocks exchanged by FFR.
DonC
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters/351 Windsor
Not Ranked     
Default broken cobra

Cactus Bob;
Sorry the jack didn't help, but happy that no one was hurt. Thanks to Dan and Adrianna, MikieC, Bruce, Dana, Ron and all for a warm welcome to the club. My contact info is Larry Cavanaugh, 406 591 3252, 427cobraman@gmail.com. If I can be of any assistance at all, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force 118 Jag Suspension
Not Ranked     
Default Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
If that's a Bilstein shock, that is unfortunately a rather common occurance. Not many people are still running the bilsteins. If you have them in the rear, you should probably replace them, too.

Is your car a MII or a MIII?
Bob
was this trouble on all Bilstein shocks as I have them on the front of the cobra and all on the daily drive ?thanks Jeff
Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
Bob
was this trouble on all Bilstein shocks as I have them on the front of the cobra and all on the daily drive ?thanks Jeff
I havent got a FF Cobra but I have Bilsteins, I think the failures were due to the 11mm small shaft where they should have used something larger like 14mm shafts like I have, correct me if I am wrong....

The 1960's rocked!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

The problem was identified and options were offered by FFR several years ago. The problem was the shaft diameter. They were breaking at the jam nut. Bilstein will rebuild the shocks to beefier proportions if you ship them to their office here in poway, ca.
However, if you want to vastly improve the handling and comfort of your car, now is the time to convert to adjustable koni shocks. FFR and Gordon levy both sell excellent upgrades.

So far, the only problems with bilstein shock breakage has been limited to FFR supplied shocks.

For further info (and there should be a ton) go to the FFR forum and do a search. Lots of shocks were breaking before the recall.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
Bob
Only those Bilsteins that were supplied by FFR. FFR went to Bilstein and had shocks made to their specs. The fit and valving was specific for the FFR roadster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant View Post
I havent got a FF Cobra but I have Bilsteins, I think the failures were due to the 11mm small shaft where they should have used something larger like 14mm shafts like I have, correct me if I am wrong....
That is correct. The rods were too small, and they were not assembled correctly. Unfortunatly, once there was a big recall from multiple failures, Bilstein backed off and said, "Tuff". They wouldn't stand behind their products. FFR did, though, and replaced every shock on their dollar.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Cactusbob

Bob,

Good to hear you guys were not hurt. Whoaa I bet the noise and tyre smoke would have been quite scary.

Replacing the shockers will give you peace of mind. Take care.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 04-15-2013, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Broken Cobra on Bartlett Lake Dam Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
The problem was identified and options were offered by FFR several years ago. The problem was the shaft diameter. They were breaking at the jam nut. Bilstein will rebuild the shocks to beefier proportions if you ship them to their office here in poway, ca.
However, if you want to vastly improve the handling and comfort of your car, now is the time to convert to adjustable koni shocks. FFR and Gordon levy both sell excellent upgrades.

So far, the only problems with bilstein shock breakage has been limited to FFR supplied shocks.

For further info (and there should be a ton) go to the FFR forum and do a search. Lots of shocks were breaking before the recall.
Shaft diameter that would be the result of whoever spec'd the shock for FFR. To be fair I know a lot of people who use proper custom Bilsteins and found they are just as good as a Koni, once the valving is setup with correct spring rates. I have been through the same scenario here they sent me front shocks with 11mm shafts and an 8mm end, I explained to them what my application was and the spec of my car and free of charge Bilstein agents fitted 14mm shafts etc.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It has been an interesting morning with calls to both FFR and Bilstein. To answer a question earlier, my car is a Mark III which I built in 2006. All the information that has been posted thus far is correct. I was supposed to have received a factory recall which I did not. The Bilstein shocks experienced shaft breaks, just above the locknut, which they contend were due to both the shaft diameter being too narrow (allegedly spec'd by FFR and specially built for FFR) as well as lateral forces created by the spring and design of the top hat. The solution was that Bilstein rebuilt the shocks under warranty. They claim to have the tools and technology to disassemble and re-assemble the shocks with larger diameter shafts. FFR then redesigned the top hat and went to different spring rates. I suspect there is bad blood between vendors as FFR is now using Koni shocks. That being said, there was a Koni shock recall on the forum as well. I did not research that one. Bilstein have life time warranties on their shocks (FYI).

FFR agreed to ship new Bilsteins and springs to me....it was the last set on the shelf. Thereafter, I am not sure what happens. If any of you have concern I do know the shocks have similar last four digits to this listed (2005BE3 A 273T0).
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     

Bob,
It's remarkable you guys didn't end up in a ravine along the route. You must have good Mojo !
An interesting note - I received delivery of my FFR Mark-lll kit on January 2, 2008. It came with Konis, and directions to mount the front shocks upside down. I think it was for better structural support, and maybe clearance. I havn't had any issues.
I am unaware of any Koni recall. Maybe I should call FFR. Any of you guys have info on it ?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIII 302/345 Mass-Flo
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotchman View Post
I am unaware of any Koni recall. Maybe I should call FFR. Any of you guys have info on it ?
Here you go.... KONI shock Alert - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

FFR6043 Delivered 04/29/07 Non-donor. Legally on the road 07/08/09. Finished 08/09/10

These cars are kinda like a lightweight, precision guided sledgehammer.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

I'm still running the old gold pro shocks. 65K on them.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it. Doesn't look like My Konis are in the recall.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Scotchman,

The Bilsteins were mounted upside down as well (shaft down). Guess I will have buy helmets for me and passengers as added protection. No, I like the wind in my hair....whoopsss...shaved head...I mean wind across by head!