Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Arizona Cobra's (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/)
-   -   expansion tank help/advise (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/arizona-cobras/131020-expansion-tank-help-advise.html)

DWRAT 09-08-2014 09:04 PM

expansion tank help/advise

1 Attachment(s)
My expansion tank has a crack where circled in red and leaking.
Any advise for a local repair person or what are my options.
Thanks

mikiec 09-08-2014 09:40 PM

My thoughts, clean the ares and re-solder it.

MaSnaka 09-08-2014 10:00 PM

I have had mine repaired more than once. A competent radiator shop that still does solder work should be able to fix it up while you wait. Maybe pay $20. You may have to paint it though.

John

undy 09-09-2014 03:55 AM

I was plaqued with leaking soft solder joints on my tank. I'd repair one and another leak would pop up. Being a HVAC guy I de-soldered my tank and cleaned all the soft solder off the joints. I resoldered the entire tank using grade III silver solder (15% silver) and 4 years later not the 1st leak.

Danr55 09-09-2014 05:00 AM

If none of that works, come over to my garage and pick one of the three I have on boxes.. Seriously, silver solder is a good answer. Prevents leaks far better than softer TN/Pb solder.

DWRAT 09-09-2014 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danr55 (Post 1318145)
If none of that works, come over to my garage and pick one of the three I have on boxes.. Seriously, silver solder is a good answer. Prevents leaks far better than softer TN/Pb solder.

Thanks Danr, I may take you up on a new one.
I am hitting a radiator shop today to see if it can be fixed.
I will let you know.

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 09-09-2014 08:23 AM

Hals

These guys did mine, then I spray painted it.
Hals Radiator Service - Glendale, AZ | Yelp

AZ Bob

DWRAT 09-09-2014 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB (Post 1318170)
These guys did mine, then I spray painted it.
Hals Radiator Service - Glendale, AZ | Yelp

AZ Bob

Thanks Bob, the tank is now at Hals.

vettestr 09-10-2014 07:25 PM

Great place to take a leak!!!

DWRAT 09-10-2014 10:43 PM

Hals did a fine job and got it all sealed up for me.
I fought this leak for a while, first figured it was a leaky gasket, then leaky bolts then with a small mirror and a flash light I was able to see exactly where the leak was coming from, the tube to flange joint.
I did the job 4 times.:CRY::CRY::CRY:
So far so good.

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 09-10-2014 11:23 PM

Jeff is the one that sent me to Hal's

AZ Bob

Karl Bebout 09-11-2014 10:38 AM

"Great place to take a leak!!!"

"Jeff is the one that sent me to Hal's"

Jeff knows all the best places to take a leak.

Fast289 09-11-2014 11:06 AM

Karl,

There is algebra in that statement.

On another note, I had a guy George install a doggy door in the new home. He has a GTO and 57 Pontiac. Says he parks by you at Albertsons and Kmart shows. He said your car is loud.....

Dave from Chandler.

Karl Bebout 09-11-2014 01:38 PM

Dave, that guy's GTO and '57 Pontiac are both extremely nice cars. Very heavy on the bling on the GTO and the '57 is an exceedingly rare Canadian model. SWEET! He's a good one to talk about decibles. There's been times he's rolled in with the headers open on the goat. Plenty raspy.

DWRAT 09-12-2014 03:58 PM

Now there is a slight seep on the opposite end of the main tube.
Sent you a PM Danr.

Karl Bebout 09-12-2014 04:39 PM

Carry a tube of Alumaseal, just in case. It might do the trick, might not. At very least, it is a very good water pump lube.

Danr55 09-12-2014 06:20 PM

I got your PM and answered it. Alumiseal works as does Barrsleek but they may both clog your radiator. Run for a while and see if the seep stops, if not take it down and have it soldered and pressure tested. Silver solder is harder than lead/tin solder and will not leak.

Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB 09-12-2014 06:54 PM

I second the AlumAseal. I carry it and have used it twice.

AZ Bob

undy 09-13-2014 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danr55 (Post 1318685)
I got your PM and answered it. Alumiseal works as does Barrsleek but they may both clog your radiator. Run for a while and see if the seep stops, if not take it down and have it soldered and pressuetested. Silver closer is harder that lead/tin solder and will not leak.

Just remember, with silver solder cleanliness is next to godliness. Make SURE all the soft solder is COMPLETELY removed before silver soldering. It's the best thing I ever did to my tank.

DWRAT 09-15-2014 08:54 PM

No more surge tank problems soon hopefully.
I ordered a Kirkham billet alum surge tank with right side exit.
David Kirkham was very helpful.
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...urge-tank.html