Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

Give me $68,000 cash and I may consider moving on from my red FFR. See gallery!�� absolutely nothing used on this toy.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

You can't register a car in Arizona for street use with a salvage title.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     
Default which small block and which big block

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve286 View Post
One other question is what do you guys prefer a big block or small block car? What are the pros and cons of each?
When Shelby started the Cobra, they had the 260 cid small block and shortly after they were all the 289 cid SB. Since that time, the 302 cid later called the 5.0 ltr replace the 289. Ford also made two taller deck 351 cid. The Cleveland and the Windsor, with the later being the taller deck height. The 5.0 is commonly stroked to 347 cid, and with an aftermarket 4.125 bore block, you can take it to over 360 cid. Likewise with the 351 Windsor it is commonly stroked to over 400 cid, and with an aftermarket 4.125" bore a 427 cid is common. It can be punched to 4.155, and it will go over 450 cid. Pretty big for a small block.

The 427 Cobra came with both 428 and 427 engines. This family of engines are call FE. In their cast iron form, quite heavy. All aluminum is almost as light a a SB. These engines are commonly stroked to 482 cid and can go bigger. Ford later made a 429 cid and 460 cid engine family called the 385 series. These BBs are physically larger than the FE engines. They are commonly stroked to 532 cid. The 385 series is arguably the lowest cost easiest engine to make huge power, but it takes a shoe horn and magic mirrors to fit one in a Cobra, but it is done. The FE is arguably the most expensive engine option, and it is a very complex design that required more talent to build. It has a lot of reliability issues, mostly caused by builders who are not up to building an FE. They can be just as reliable as any other engine when built correctly, other than an annoying tendency to mark its territory pissing oil (most but not all).

Bottom line SB are lighter without spending big dollars for an aluminum block. Less cubic inches means less torque. Although, if you want to, you can make as much power, with less torque, by spinning lots of RPMs, it makes a finicky street engine with bad manors. You can build a SB with more cid than an original 427 Cobra, and have torque and Hp that would make an original envious.

So in summary, you have options out the wazoo! I did not mention 351/400 modified truck engines or more modern (now obsolete) modular engines. The new Coyote is even an option.
DWRAT and 66gtk like this.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0
Not Ranked     

Though I am new to the Cobra Kit ownership (just purchased my 1st a couple of weeks ago). I have visited most of the kit companies over the last 15 yrs and always try to capture the 1st ride in a real 427 when I was 16! What I purchased today is quite different as to what was important to me when I started. I am almost 63 and have been "Hot Rodding" cars since I was 15! faster was a mantra! Now I want some comfort to fit my fat old 6'2" body with an artificial hip!

And I offer this-
Remember- this is a passion, not a planned expectation.

Like women, you do not control them, always respect them and sometimes they will surprise you with the more joy and fun then you can even imagine! Just pick them with what they are today and what you predict they will be like as you go life together!
Old 05-28-2015, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
When Shelby started the Cobra, they had the 260 cid small block and shortly after they were all the 289 cid SB. Since that time, the 302 cid later called the 5.0 ltr replace the 289. Ford also made two taller deck 351 cid. The Cleveland and the Windsor, with the later being the taller deck height. The 5.0 is commonly stroked to 347 cid, and with an aftermarket 4.125 bore block, you can take it to over 360 cid. Likewise with the 351 Windsor it is commonly stroked to over 400 cid, and with an aftermarket 4.125" bore a 427 cid is common. It can be punched to 4.155, and it will go over 450 cid. Pretty big for a small block.

The 427 Cobra came with both 428 and 427 engines. This family of engines are call FE. In their cast iron form, quite heavy. All aluminum is almost as light a a SB. These engines are commonly stroked to 482 cid and can go bigger. Ford later made a 429 cid and 460 cid engine family called the 385 series. These BBs are physically larger than the FE engines. They are commonly stroked to 532 cid. The 385 series is arguably the lowest cost easiest engine to make huge power, but it takes a shoe horn and magic mirrors to fit one in a Cobra, but it is done. The FE is arguably the most expensive engine option, and it is a very complex design that required more talent to build. It has a lot of reliability issues, mostly caused by builders who are not up to building an FE. They can be just as reliable as any other engine when built correctly, other than an annoying tendency to mark its territory pissing oil (most but not all).

Bottom line SB are lighter without spending big dollars for an aluminum block. Less cubic inches means less torque. Although, if you want to, you can make as much power, with less torque, by spinning lots of RPMs, it makes a finicky street engine with bad manors. You can build a SB with more cid than an original 427 Cobra, and have torque and Hp that would make an original envious.

So in summary, you have options out the wazoo! I did not mention 351/400 modified truck engines or more modern (now obsolete) modular engines. The new Coyote is even an option.

Why does it seem like many of the cobras I have seen online have rebuilt motors under 10K miles. Do the motors just not last that long in these light cars or is it because they have been run hard?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve286 View Post
Why does it seem like many of the cobras I have seen online have rebuilt motors under 10K miles. Do the motors just not last that long in these light cars or is it because they have been run hard?
Hasn't been driven much.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:00 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Give me $68,000 cash and I may consider moving on from my red FFR. See gallery!�� absolutely nothing used on this toy.

You'll be waiting quite some time as you can get a nice ERA for less

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-28-2015, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk 3 408 530 - 585 T- mustang Dyno at B&R
Not Ranked     

I understand. ERA, Uniques and Superformance are very nice. You are correct but mine is not ordinary and I have spared nothing and did my home work before having second one built. I have redone, replaced and usually anticipated every failure and replaced those at the time new items with yet newer new items. It would probably cost $100,000 to rebuild my car with my specs. I would not and can not build myself. Do not have the patience needed to home build. I was at build site every 2-3 days taking pictures and talking with the assemblers actually building the cars. It drove Gordon nuts.

Next replacement will be the fuel cell gas tank. Been 10 years and it is time. Not bragging just anticipating all future situations. I do nut and bolt checks at least every 6 months weather it needs it or not along with oil changes every 3000 miles.

Many nice cars out there like mine! These cars are bottomless pits to throw money at. Do our wives really know?

Last edited by Fitz; 05-28-2015 at 05:39 PM..
Old 05-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

Steve286

I change parts in the motor so it ends up being a rebuild. It's not worn out just better parts and more hp.

I did rebuild one motor because the distributor gear failed.

Dwight
Old 05-28-2015, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The FE is arguably the most expensive engine option, and it is a very complex design that required more talent to build. It has a lot of reliability issues, mostly caused by builders who are not up to building an FE. They can be just as reliable as any other engine when built correctly, other than an annoying tendency to mark its territory pissing oil (most but not all).
Nice post, except for this comment. Yes, they are more expensive. No, they do not have reliability issues. They are not that much different than any other pushrod V8.

The one that impresses me is the Ford modular. My brother has a 2003 Cobra with minor mods, and it will do over 500HP to the rear wheels all day long. I've heard of them making much more than that too, but you never hear about them splitting a block like stock 302/351 engines do if you push them over 500HP.

For "the look", nothing looks more at home than an FE. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post

For "the look", nothing looks more at home than an FE. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Truer words have not been spoken on this thread.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

"For "the look", nothing looks more at home than an FE. Of course, that's just my opinion"

True dat, but I do sure get a lot of positive comments about my tiny "289" with Webers.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:27 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Do our wives really know?
Mine has balanced the books on each and every one of the 27+ I've now owned, rebuilt, and/or restored........So yes, at least mine does.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 05-28-2015, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yes Karl. You have a cute.little motor just.like Carnut does.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Chocolate or vanilla? The 289 with Webers still .. to me .. looks like the "real deal" from back in the day when it was gloves off, Shelby team vs the World in Europe. The essence of the "Cobra". The 427, to me, is a "hotrod" version of a cobra...so I would go for the FIA or slab side version - ERA or Superformance - with some version of a small block. And small block today sure beats the heck performance wise out of the options available back in the late 60's.

And SO much depends on how the motor is set up. I had a Unique 289 FIA that I bought used, and it had a 289 HIPO motor with around 300 hp. The power band on that car was in the 1500 - 3500 rpm range. It had amazing low end torque. On a road racing track (Gainesville Motor Speedway Road Racing Track) it would run all day with 550 hp cars and they couldn't close on it in the straights. I thought "more hp is better" so I changed out the stock HIPO heads for Trick Flow aluminum heads and a more aggressive cam. Increased HP by 75 or more, but lost the low end torque almost completely. Sounded great, but now where near as quick on a road racing course.

That was quite a learning experience.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

And Ford Racing has the z460 - 460 CID Windsor crate engine with 575 HP and 575 lb. ft. torque. 450 lbs. of YEE HA!

Quote:

Old 05-29-2015, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

You can't register a car in Arizona for street use with a salvage title.

Sure you can.

Arizona Salvaged Vehicle Regulations and Consumer Protections at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple
Old 05-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I stand corrected.. You can get it licensed for the road if you can make MVD happy. ?
?> Good luck with that..

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

Old 05-29-2015, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

Thing is it doesn't take all that much to scrap a car that's 5-7 years old and there may not even be drivetrain or suspension issues. The drummer in our band has a Honda that was scrapped and then repaired by a guy down the street from him. Guy has a full-on rack in his shop and did all the bodywork and paint. He's been driving it for the three years I've known him and the only issue so far was a bad radiator and alternator.

He ended up with a nice looking and running car with very low miles for 1/3 of what he would have otherwise paid.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post
The one that impresses me is the Ford modular. My brother has a 2003 Cobra with minor mods, and it will do over 500HP to the rear wheels all day long. I've heard of them making much more than that too, but you never hear about them splitting a block like stock 302/351 engines do if you push them over 500HP.
They (OEM blocks) have been drag raced at 2000 hp. I have not heard of the 351 block splitting like the 302. They split between the main and cam bearings. The taller deck of the 351 gives them more meet. The modular block has no cam bearing, being on overhead engine. That gives the modular block an advantage.