LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 468ci 550HP + 150HP NX Matching Shelby GT500 650HP
Send a message via AIM to Bob Broberg SPF667 460BB
Not Ranked     
Default AZ Cobras Anniversary Party 2016

A Couple of reminders for this year's gathering on December 3rd at the Bondurant Racing School. Here is a photo of our party in December of 2005 when we had 40+ cobras show up.

AND let's not forget about our IRON BUTT AWARD. I'm guessing it will go to one of our California Dreaming guys. Any nominations?

AZ Bob
Old 08-25-2016, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Not Ranked     

Wonder why we can't get that many Cobra's together for anything these days?
There has certainly been enough "early warning" about the date that no one can say "didn't know about it or I would have come".
Old 08-25-2016, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Mike View Post
Wonder why we can't get that many Cobra's together for anything these days?
There has certainly been enough "early warning" about the date that no one can say "didn't know about it or I would have come".
That's a great question.
I thinks it's the lack of a good leader.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

"That's a great question.
I thinks it's the lack of a good leader."

Rat Boy, that's a hell of a thing to say, especially by someone who rarely contributes anything meaningful to the group other than to complain about whatever doesn't fit his needs or opinions. BobB has done an excellent job organizing many functions, after Mikiec lost his mind and moved to the East Coast. Since Bob stepped down, nobody has come forward or been given the full responsibility. I have accepted responsibility for a few functions, as has Danr, but to date, the AZ Cobras does not having an active leader.
Do you have a suggestion or solution or do you just want to sit back and ***** about it?
Old 08-25-2016, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bob still does more for this group then anyone else does and he stepped down over a year ago.
As I said we need a leader.
We don't have a leader.
No more Furds.

Last edited by DWRAT; 08-25-2016 at 10:04 AM..
Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing
Not Ranked     
Question

FYI- I own a 1974 Triumph TR-6. I belong to the Desert Center Triumph of America club. Meets the 2nd tuesday at Dennys at 202 & Scottsdale Rd. What I have noticed that differs from the AZ Cobra club is:

1. Regular scheduled meetings. 106 members 30-40 at each meeting I have attended (3).
2. Dues of $18/year to cover news letters monthly. Want ads, trips, cruises, etc
3. President, activities chairperson, publisher of news letter, treasurer, event planner and some others I can't think of.

Yes, it is structured unlike the members of the AZ club like. However, no one complains about the dues or lack of information of events. For example, the Triumph club is going to attend a Triumph Fest in Ventura Sept 6-9th. There are about 40-50 Triumphs going to join in the event being sponsored by the California club. Next September the AZDCTR will sponsor the same event in Flagstaff. Plans are currently under way to set up that event. These annual events (Triumph Fest) are attended by CA,UA,NV and AZ. There is a very large turnout. This will be my first and I have volunteered to help out for the 2017 event in Flag.

What can make the AZ Club attendance improve?

1. More than one person making plans and trying to keep information and interest flowing.
2. Notification of events well in advance (Holiday Party). Why can't we call it a Christmas Party anyway?
3. More structure.
4. More input from membership. If you read this site at all you will see the same guys trying to push events (Danr,Karl, BobB and one or two others)all year and getting such a small percentage of responses from those members that never come out and never recommend something.

Yes, Mikec did start the club. I joined in 2006 and found the interest to go down (laughlin cruise died) even while he was trying to lead. It is not a one man job. Too hard to do it all.

Therefore, I propose that everyone that reads this message comment back just to see how many actually read this site. Just answer:

1. Agree
2. Disagree

Nothing else is needed. I am just curious how many people read this message and have an opinion. The total number of agrees or disagree will give us one clue to if/if not this is a good venue to get club information to the members.

I believe there is interest out there but is everyone giving as much back as they receive???

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Mesa Mike; 08-25-2016 at 10:27 AM..
Old 08-25-2016, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Agree
No more Furds.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FF5 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Then come up with a possible solution. It seems that someone wants an early morning run people chime in. All is well if you want to be involved in the no dues nor elected membership club. We all enjoy these cars, so lets just do it and I'll bring gluten free donuts the next get together. Gary I think Al should be the next President
Old 08-25-2016, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

AGREE....

and I think AL is an excellent choice. Robert and Scotty are also great choices. It would be real good to get some younger folks, with different ideas in charge and let us geezers tag along, if our oxygen tanks don't run empty and our colostomy bags don't burst.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI, 527ci Shelby aluminum FE
Not Ranked     

I agree

For the most part I'm always reading about somewhere to go or meet in the forums.

Note: Yes I've yet to attend any events. However I've followed the forums for years now. I won't make accuses but work and life comes first. I'll get there.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

The gatherings have been slowly reduced in numbers. Some members have sold their cars. During the first few years this group was new and exciting.

I celebrate the large and small gatherings the same way and always enjoy everyone's company.

Just remember peoples taste change in everything throughout the years and that includes cars.

I am looking forward to seeing as many of the group that shows up for the party.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-25-2016, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
AGREE....

and I think AL is an excellent choice. Robert and Scotty are also great choices. It would be real good to get some younger folks, with different ideas in charge and let us geezers tag along, if our oxygen tanks don't run empty and our colostomy bags don't burst.

I think Scotty would be a great all around fit.
He's on the younger side, he doesn't work crazy hours, he's local to Phx and a long term member.
But, what does Scotty think?
No more Furds.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinoonaz View Post
All is well if you want to be involved in the no dues nor elected membership club. We all enjoy these cars, so lets just do it and I'll bring gluten free donuts the next get together.
I totally agree with Gary... and I like cinnamon twists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
AGREE....

and I think AL is an excellent choice. Robert and Scotty are also great choices. It would be real good to get some younger folks, with different ideas in charge
Aww, shucks... {blush}

But it can't be me. Time is my most precious resource, and it is stretched way too thin already...

Besides - for me personally, the casual, laid-back atmosphere with this group is one of its most attractive aspects...
nniets likes this.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Agree. Not to hijack the thread but Mesa Mike, can you PM me info on the triumph club? I will have a place to go that my tiny GT6 won't get laughed at
Ron
Old 08-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

One of the aspects of this club that makes it tolerable.for so many A type personalities is the lack of structure and the ability to come and go at will.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 08-25-2016, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

A little history..

We used to have monthly meetings.. That lasted 3 months.
Hersh, coming from the Hotrod world, suggested taking the club to a more typical club. I on the other hand preferred the loose knit organization we have. It was discussed at the first meeting to go native or be a traditional one. Jerry Nanson voted for non traditional and I agreed with him, so did the attendees. Jerry suggested the rule... Show up and have a great time, don't and miss the fun.

Running the club was a labor love and it takes a great deal of time and money to do some of the things we did. And I did have Miss Ginny helping keep things organized.

I have watched the change over the past 2 years and am pleased at the transformation in events and those that rose to the top.

You guys have a great thing going, keep it up.

Soon to be out in the cold, winter sucks.
Mikiec.

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 08-25-2016, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Replying to Mesa Mike here. Not sure if I agree or disagree because I am not sure what question you are asking but yes I do follow what is going on on this site.

I have not been a part of this group very long but I have participated in a few Saturday get togethers and have enjoyed meeting the club members and seeing everyone's cars. I plan to attend the holiday get together if I am in town.

I am not sure what the concern or issue is here. The group may not have as big a turnout for some events as in the past but is that a problem? I don't think it reflects negatively on the events or those that organize them. Perhaps folks are older or busier than they used to be. I know my schedule is crazy.

In any event I have enjoyed being part of this group so far.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK3/302/570 street avenger
Not Ranked     

I really don't know how this subject is coming up at this time. We have had some great short runs up north this summer, while it was damn hot here in the valley. We have 2 super duper runs on the schedule now that don't get any better. I think the club has been doing a great job with a number of us scheduling different runs. Even the Christmas party will be fantastic. We will have more runs the cooler it gets. Don't complain, instead, be creative and come up with a new run ! 1 rule only : no sniveling
moore_rb likes this.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

I sure hope you guys get this all sorted out and don't just dissolve. The Arizona Club has been the most active and close knit group of Cobra owners since I started here (well, maybe the Aussies, but they only see each other by short wave radio). Hang in there guys. It'll work out.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1983, 427W, IRS, Wilwood brakes
Not Ranked     

I agree with Scotty. Seems like we're having more events lately and those that want to attend can and do. It's stinky hot lately, and I'm a woos, but that doesn't seem to keep the diehards from showing up. I don't see a problem, but I like that more and different people are suggesting activities.