Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     
Default Tremec 500 Help

I'd certainly like to find someone locally that is an ace on Tremec 500 transmissions. I've read that there are modifications that will get rid of the "notchy" shifting. I've already installed a PRO 50 shifter, hoping that would improve shifting. I couldn't tell a difference. I'd also like to see if I can change out the too deep 1st gear to lengthen its span a bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2016, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV/Coyote/PS/PB/ABS/AC
Not Ranked     

Here is some info/discussion on the subject: TKO500 shifting issues - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
Old 11-06-2016, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

The problem could be something as simple as bellhousing misalignment or a problem in clutch adjustment....

Otherwise, it's most likely just a stacking of manufacturing tolerances. The biggest issue is the surface finish on the gear cones. Next to that is the blocking ring material. And next to that is simple blueprinting and changing the shift finger.

We offer a "Sure Shift" modification on all of our TKO 500/600's, where the transmission is disassembled, all of the above is changed for the good, and then reassembled with the factory warranty.

We also offer two different levels of strength improvement and can offer around another 15% of torque capacity in addition to the 500/600 lb-ft capacities that are offered.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Most Tremec customers comment (some complain) about the 'notchyness' of the shift quality, Karl. Some guys get lucky, most don't. The upgrades that Brent suggested will all significantly improve the shift quality.

There is another contributor to the shift quality issue and it is the internal timing that Tremec builds into the shifting mechanism. Liberty offers an improved internal shifting rail replacement to correct the problem.

You can send the transmission to Brent or Tremec for the upgrade or you can do it yourself in your garage on a Saturday morning. I bought all the parts from Liberty, bronze shift pads for the shifting forks, carbon fiber synchronizer rings, and the shift timing corrected internal shifting rods et al. for mine. Total time to do the job was just about 4 hours on the bench and I was going slow, reading the Tremec manual to guide me through the process. If I had to do it again I could probably do it in an hour or two.

BTW in the event you choose to do it yourself before you begin, get yourself a tube of Honda-Bond or Yama-Bond. There is no gasket between the tail shaft and the main case or for that matter anywhere else. The Honda/Yama bond stuff is how you seal two machined surfaces up to prevent oil drips. It is really impressive stuff!

If you send the trans to Liberty they can also replace the frontmost bearing support for the countershaft. I think Brent offers this also but do not know for certain. FWIW this is not a must have sort of mod but it is definitely a nice mod and makes for a significantly stronger transmission. You cannot do it at home unless you have access to a Bridgeport and then you are playing with the main case. Better to let them do it if you intend to use the mod.

BTW when you are done the shift quality approaches that of a T5 — it is that big of an improvement!

Almost forgot the entire parts package was about $280 back then. I'm not sure what it might be today. One more point worth mentioning you can save a little money by not using a carbon fiber synchro on first gear. We usually do not speed shift into first gear so the brass / bronze OEM synchro is more than adequate.

With respect to the deep first gear on your TKO500, I believe all TKO500's use a 3.27 first gear. The TKO600's use a 2.87 first gear, if I remember correctly. To my knowledge the first gears are not interchangeable. If you want the taller 2.87 first gear the only path is a new transmission.

If you decide the new transmission path is the route you wish to pursue, you can buy a fully modified (with all the mods I spoke of above) from Brent or Liberty. I believe Brent offers the internal shift rail upgrade but I am not certain. However, he can tell you for certain.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

I put about 30,000 on a TKO 600. Tried magic fluids and shifters, nothing worked.
Then I bought Liberty Gears street up grade. Local Ford mechanic installed the parts in less than an hour.

I could not miss a shift. That trannie shifted great. Smooth and quiet. Just the perfect trannie for street.

I highly recommend Liberty Gears.

Dwight
Old 11-06-2016, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Karl, couldn't Gordon make some improvements to it?
Larry
Old 11-06-2016, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is really only one fix for the TKO boxes, it is the Liberty fix. Doesn't matter who installs it, you or someone else. If you want the transmission to shift properly you need the Liberty fix.

Dwight has been to the same rodeo and the ending is predictably the same — Liberty. Like Dwight said, he had tried 'magic fluids, shifters' et al. The only thing that fixed the problem was the Liberty kit. You will not be disappointed, however, you likely will be disappointed if you choose a snake oil fix.

Ed

Old 11-06-2016, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I put about 30,000 on a TKO 600. Tried magic fluids and shifters, nothing worked.
Then I bought Liberty Gears street up grade. Local Ford mechanic installed the parts in less than an hour.

I could not miss a shift. That trannie shifted great. Smooth and quiet. Just the perfect trannie for street.

I highly recommend Liberty Gears.

Dwight
Hey Dwight,
Do they actually sell an upgrade "kit" ? I didn't see it on the web site.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Larry, I believe Gordon sells an up graded T-5.

Karl, The T-5 does shift so much smoother. It's draw back is it's limited torque rating. Broberg was amazed how fast I could through the gears with my T-5. I do agree the tremecs do have a notchy feel to them.

Blykins has a good reputation listen to him.. Get the kit and have chebby orange Dan help you put it in. Or better still have Charley do it.

Mike

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 11-06-2016, 05:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Someone please describe.the issues with these boxes. I have one and I don't have any issues.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Danr, I'd have engine parts scattered all over the road if I tried to do a proper bang/power shift. I was no Ronnie Sox, but I could shift my Muncie so quickly, it sounded like an automatic. T'aint happening with this Tremec, the way it is. There is at least a one second+ delay before going from first to second and then to third, fourth, and fifth. Almost sounds like the real old transmissions where you had to double clutch, since they were not synchronized, you know, like your Dad's brand new car that you finally learned to drive, when you were 20.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

it's a design problem with the Tremic. The brass synchronizers are made of brass. They are to heavy to slow down for fast shifts. Liberty Gears install carbon fiber bushing/bearings in the synchronizers. And other mods.

Bronze Shift Fork Pads
Surface Enhancement* Processed Hubs & Sliders
Internal Shift Linkage Upgrade
Liberty's Exclusive Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support **
Carbon Fiber Blocking Rings 2nd, 3rd & 4th Gear
Old 11-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Karl if that is the issue I have to say I've not seen it. I guess mine is an exception.

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 11-06-2016, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
Danr, I'd have engine parts scattered all over the road if I tried to do a proper bang/power shift. I was no Ronnie Sox, but I could shift my Muncie so quickly, it sounded like an automatic. T'aint happening with this Tremec, the way it is. There is at least a one second+ delay before going from first to second and then to third, fourth, and fifth. Almost sounds like the real old transmissions where you had to double clutch, since they were not synchronized, you know, like your Dad's brand new car that you finally learned to drive, when you were 20.
I agree with Karl here. I have a TKO600 and it shifts "okay" - like a good medium truck transmission, but nothing like the old Muncie M20 I had in my 70 Camaro. Even with 100k mikes and worn synchros I could shift that one as fast as an automatic. There is no way the 1-2 shift in particular is fast/positive in the Tremec. 2-3 is a little better but if you try to push it really fast you can feel it fighting to get to the next gear. No way you would win a drag race with the box I have.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There are TKO's whose owners have never experienced the 'notchy' shifting feel and then there are others that have. There are enough 'others that have' for a company like Liberty to do the research and make the investment in bringing a kit to market for the guys with the bad luck and turn a profit on the investment.

If your TKO is a happy experience, you are blessed and there is no action required on your part. If, on the other hand, you are experiencing the 'notchy' shifting qualities that are most frequently not appreciated by the owners of those boxes then Liberty has the fix.

It is sort of like going to the dentist. If you don't have a cavity — no filling. If you do have a cavity — filling. It doesn't mean teeth are bad it just means some people get cavities and need fillings.

Ed

Old 11-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

I bought mine about two years ago. You will have to call them and ask if they still offer a street upgrade. I did not see it on their website.

You will have to remove the parts (from a list they furnish) and ship to them. They will modify your parts and return to you.
I'm sure you can ship your trannie to them to do all the work.
It was cheaper and easier to have my buddy do the work in my shop.

Dwight
Old 11-07-2016, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2114
Not Ranked     

Karl, you might check out AMP Performance at 4346 University Drive. I talked to an individual at a local car show who said they specialize in Tremec transmissions. The number I have for them is 800 454-8387 or Tel: 1-602-437-2727.

Last edited by Cobrakeith; 11-07-2016 at 07:38 AM..
Old 11-07-2016, 02:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, Keith, I've been to AMP several times but never talked to them about trannies.