28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By vettestr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965, small block 427/535 Ford Racing crate motor with fuel injection by Bob Reem
Not Ranked     
Default Gas Smell Help

I have a constant odor of gas in my garage, almost like there is a 5 gallon pail of gas open. The Cobra has no leaks, there is nothing on the ground or around the intake manifold. This really started after Bob Reem took the EFI out and replaced it with my carburetor. He did leave a return line to the gas tank, should that be removed. It is reeally getting bad in there. Any ideas would be helpful.
Joe B
Old 11-08-2016, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Joe,
Is your tank full? If so lots of people say don't fill up and then drive straight home to park it.
I personally had a fuel smell and it ended up being the fuel sensor gasket on top of the fuel tank. It never leaked on the ground, just pooled on top of the tank.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: All original, with Chevy engine since 1964
Not Ranked     

Hi Joe-

If the fuel injection return line was capped off correctly, then it should be ok to leave it. however, if he disconnected it at both ends and left the line open, then that could definitely be the source of the odor.

Another thing to check is your gas cap- make sure the rubber is good, and that it is sealing tightly. If you have a screw-in style vented cap, then make sure the spring isn't stuck open.

Dan's idea about checking the top of the tank is a good one - the filler neck, the gauge sender, and a small pressure vent are all located up there - any one of them could be weeping a small amount from the gasket, and it only takes about 1/2 teaspoon of gasoline to stink up the whole garage...
Old 11-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

How fast you guys forget about the years you spent around cars with carb's. Remember the black strip on the roads especially on the lane going up a grade. This was from the crankcase puke tube that were later replaced with PCV (positive crankcase vents) routed back into the carb. Then big bulky closed air cleaners with all those vacuum hoses to a charcoal canister. Gas tanks with non vented caps and so on.

Our Hot Rods have open element air filters sitting on top of the carb with fuel vapors venting into that open filter. The carb is sitting on an aluminum manifold heating the fuel making more vaporization when parked. You can run hoses to each bowl vent and hose from the fuel tank all routed to a charcoal emissions canister. Then a hose back into the engine intake for vac. source but would still have some vapors if engine was not running or providing vacuum. You worked so hard to create a mean, nasty, smelly hot rod. Congrats you have succeeded !!!
dcdoug and moore_rb like this.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1965, small block 427/535 Ford Racing crate motor with fuel injection by Bob Reem
Not Ranked     

Think that I found the leak. Looks like it may be the fuel cell. I have not been able to check out Dan's idea, but there is a slight leak on the drivers side of the tank. The cell has a bladder but it could be coming from the top and working its way down. Thank for the help. I so hope that it is not the bladder.
Joe B
Old 11-08-2016, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Joe, your car may have a access panel in the trunk under the carpet that allows you to easily access the top of your tank, I know mine does.
BTW, I think Jeff is pulling your chain because my old school carb motor does not put off a gas smell at all.
Superformance #884 --- Sold
No more Furds.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

What vettestr said. You've got an old school carbureted muscle car and it makes it's presence known. Embrace it and be thankful it's not a Prius. The smell will dissipate quite a bit after the first day or so of it being in the garage.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

It doesn't take much to smell things up. I had a '66 Galaxie and it had a carb fuel line fitting that would work its way just ever so slightly loose every so often (steel fuel line had a little torsion that I later corrected). It would loosen just enough that I could get some dampness on a paper towel if I wiped the fitting but non enough to actually drip, but I could always tell when it was loose by the smell. I could even smell it in the car.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I crawled under the car yesterday and was able to see a puddle of gas that I was not able to see before. I called Fuel Safe Systems, the maker of the fuel cell, and gave them the part number of the tank. WOW, replacement cell, $3100, replacement bladder, $2100 and you have to send the tank to Fuel Safe to install it. I think that I am going to just have an alluminum tank installed. Called Hot Rods By Dean yesterday to see if they can do it for me so I can go to Good Guys. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Joe B
Old 11-09-2016, 04:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Joe i have the 16 gallon tank i just replaced in my car if you need a temporary

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 11-09-2016, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Hey Joe, I had Dave's Gas tanks, on S. 32nd St. build a tank for my other car. They did an excellent job, exactly to my specs. They only do steel, but where better cold you add a few pounds to your car? An aluminum tank will surely be well north of $1K, and why do you think you need aluminum?
Old 11-09-2016, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the offer Dan, but I only want them to do the swap once. Karl, I didnt know that anyone made them out of steel, I always thought that the custom tank were aluminum. I will look into that.
JoeB
Old 11-09-2016, 04:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile Fyi

I bought a sheet of 14 ga steel this week of a hot rod project. I don't know what ga they use to make gas tank but this can be used as a comparison

14 ga steel 3.125 lbs per sq foot a 4' x 8' sheet $73.20
14 ga aluminum .095 lbs per sq ft a 4' x 8' sheet $240

Dwight
Old 11-09-2016, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by likenu2 View Post
Thanks for the offer Dan, but I only want them to do the swap once. Karl, I didnt know that anyone made them out of steel, I always thought that the custom tank were aluminum. I will look into that.
JoeB
They also make them out of stainless steel. Even better.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic, 428 FE CCX 3069
Not Ranked     

Check out Nick Acton. He made the tank for.my car.. Actoncustom.com

Dan in Arizona
CCX3209

"It's a great car and I love it, but it doesn't do 'SLOW' very well."
Old 11-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 302 carb
Not Ranked     

Nick is just up the road from me. His shop is very well equipped. His work is outstanding.

Mikiec

http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb222/mikiec66/
Old 11-09-2016, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 824 with 470 FE BBM street 427
Not Ranked     

Another vote for Nick! I'm just getting into this, but so far all my interactions with him have been first rate.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV/Coyote/PS/PB/ABS/AC
Not Ranked     

Is your hot water heater also in the garage?
Old 11-10-2016, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Nick made my tank also. Nice piece.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-12-2016, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
Is your hot water heater also in the garage?
Yes Dale it is. That is why it was necessary to get the car out and the tank replaced. Dean's shop is fabricating a stainless steel tank using my old fuel cell as a templet. They tell me that it will be done for good guys next weekend.\
Joe B